Can ́t buy Connect Business for 1 or 2 user?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
There seems not to be an offer to get Conncect Business for fair pricing if I need it only for 1 or 2 users? Minimum 3 users??? I ́m a consultant and want to work with my customers on maps, but it is really too expensive to buy a version for 3 users? Don ́t you think so?
Photo of Gerwin Schalk

Gerwin Schalk

• 51 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Bjorn Eriksson

Bjorn Eriksson

• 197 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I ́m in the same situation. And I think a lot more solo consultants also have this question.
I ́ve recommended several customers to start using MM, but wont be able to do that with this strange rule.
Photo of Brittney Mazzetta

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
Thank you both for your feedback. I will be sure to pass this along to our team to take into consideration.
Photo of Bjorn Eriksson

Bjorn Eriksson

• 197 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Any consideration done?
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1354 Posts
  • 204 Reply Likes
Why not use the free connect (vision & action) option when working with your customers?
It has a lot of functionality already.

If you have the MM2012 windows dekstop version for yourself, you can do almost everything you may need.
Photo of Gary Todd

Gary Todd

• 29 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I have MM2012 and I know very well how to use it to the max, but that still doesn't let me collaborate on projects with multiple clients beyond sharing 2 maps via Connect Free, and this is only increased to 4 maps for each of the three users if I spend nearly £500 for Connect Business.
Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1036 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
If you customers are Mindjet Connect Business users they can share a folder (maybe folders) with you for access via 2012 or Connect Free.
Photo of Gary Todd

Gary Todd

• 29 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
If they were, it wouldn't be a problem ... except for the fact that I'd still have to buy Connect Business for nearly £500 (3 users). That's the problem.
Photo of Bjorn Eriksson

Bjorn Eriksson

• 197 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
As I understand it it is only possible to share two maps at a time if I use the free Connect AND the customer also uses the free Connect.

That ́s is ok, otherwise it would be to good.

But then the sitiuation still remains: I must buy three licenses to share more than two maps with a customer.
And that is really strange.
Photo of Gary Todd

Gary Todd

• 29 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
And if they use Free (because you have other customers using your 2 Connect Business slots), you can only share '4 maps' which is barely an improvement. Which is like saying Mindjet haven't catered for the Consultant.

Please, Mindjet, reconsider this stance.
Photo of Mick Jones

Mick Jones

• 89 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
There are a couple of other differences also. You need Business for Folders, Version Control, Word export/Import.
The Version control is a biggie when you are collaborating.
Photo of Scott Gilbert

Scott Gilbert

• 157 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Everyone,
Your comments are appreciated as we continue to look at ways of making our basic offering as compelling as possible. What I understand from the comments above is that the ability to share only 2 maps with edit access may be too limiting.

I also dp agree with the recommendations offered for potentially overcoming those limitations, depending on your collaboration context.

Because we see Connect being used primarily for team based collaboration, we've priced our offerings to be comparable to similar products in our category. We understand that this may not always be a perfect match for all users. However, at this time we have no plans to change our pricing policies.

We hope that our Basic offering will continue to provide significant and increased levels of value over time.

Please let us know if you have any other feedback about what we can do to make both our Basic and Business packages more compelling.
Photo of Gary Todd

Gary Todd

• 29 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I raised this myself at the recent webinars. The key thing here is that folders and version control are the missing features for single consultants that want to work with multiple customers with a single user Connect account. Free, while an amazing free offering, is limited for some professional consultants, but Connect Business is a single account with multiple users, not available for a single person. The problem I see is that this solution has been aimed at static teams, those that have defined membership. Consultants collaborating with multiple clients/partners or dynamic teams they control, aren't necessarily catered for with Connect Business at the moment.

The strange thing about Mindjet's response (not just Scott's) is that Mindjet don't seem to want our money in this instance. I was willing to pay for Connect Business but couldn't get Mindjet to take £159 off me as a single user - I find this surprising as all I wanted was a single user account with folders, version control and slight increase in map sharing capacity with Free users (this needs increasing, mind you).

I am lucky in that I think I have found 3 collaborators on a project who are willing to invest in Connect Business - but when a company won't let a customer buy something they need that is available to others, it feels confusing ... I have to say I was made to feel like I was the only one asking for this, which is why I felt compelled to add to this topic. Hope it helps.
Photo of Gerwin Schalk

Gerwin Schalk

• 51 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
If I could work with a single user licence of Connect business with all my customers, this could be a good way for Mindjet to get more users to MindManager or Connect! At this moment I have to pay 3 x 153 Euro = 459 Euro to get my work done with Connect. No, no!!

And, why do you have the annual payment? Why not a monthly fee, for every user, which I can decide from month to month? If I have a project with more people I buy more users, if I don ́t need these people, I buy less.

So Mindjet, please!!!! You can get my money, but...
Photo of Mick Jones

Mick Jones

• 89 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Mindjet is more likely to grow virally within an enterprise. Then when you have a critical mass you can work on selling to the enterprise as a whole.
I was trying to get it introduced when i was at NetApp, and IT would not even engage.
However there were some key individuals working on high profile projects, who used MM and it was getting noticed.
Mindjet have to allow those users to show MM at its best, and allow the product to advertise itself. Restricting individuals by only allowing a minimum of 3 users will slow that down.
Regarding it being priced competitively against similar products around mapping collaboration, i dont know if that is true. The current reliability issues on Connect around Saving Maps are not helping.
There are a lot of loyal MM users and they are MJ's best advocates, so it would be a good idea to support them.
there has to be many users who are ready to sign up to a single user deal on Connect, but are holding off. Every day they hold off encourages them to evaluate other ways of achieving what they have to do.
Photo of Bjorn Eriksson

Bjorn Eriksson

• 197 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Regarding annual payment vs monthly. MJ claim to be a efficient tool for project collaboration, which it is.
But the absolute majority of the competitors (web based project collaborative software) are offering monthly payments.
I don ́t think they would sell as the do if they had annual payments.

The definition of a project is that it exist for a certain time, after that the project organisation is gone. And not all projects last for a whole number of years.
Photo of Gary Todd

Gary Todd

• 29 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Not heard anything more about this ... it feels like Mindjet are prepared to take constructive comments, but then hope that, if they ignore it, things will go quiet and they can then concentrate on the work they want to do without the inconvenience of engaging with individual users and addressing their issues.

Scott - no-one from Mindjet has commented on this thread in 2 months, even though you invited comments in your last post and people obliged! This is downright rude of Mindjet not to respond. Why do Mindjet, a successful, international company, not make someone the permanent liaison on this channel???

If people got more response, this would be a very busy, interesting and productive channel for all parties. Instead, it is a hub of frustration.
Photo of Gerwin Schalk

Gerwin Schalk

• 51 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hi Gary, you are writing what I ́m thinking... Thanks!
Photo of jwm4

jwm4

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm not going to repeat the excellent points commentators above have already made, and with which I agree. I will, however, add the following.

1. By failing to respond and engage with self-identified hot customer prospects, Mindjet will not only create a well-deserved reputation for rudeness, but also a set of very frustrated, resentful, and likely-to-be-vocal-about-it people.

2. Mindjet's response (via Scot) bespeaks a fairly inflexible mindset for a company named "MindJET"! There are innumerable ways to solve this problem - it's all simple arithmetic. If Mindjet's target market is "primarily team based collaboration", price it most attractively for that target market, but don't make it exclusively available to that target market and in the process create much bad karma. Make it available to consultants on a single user basis for a higher relative price, but not at a multiple of the per user cost of a team license.

3. Another flexible, jet-minded approach to pricing would be to simply follow the Basecamp pricing model, which prices not on a per user basis, but on a PER PROJECT basis. That would provide ultimate flexibility for all user types, from solo consultants to Fortune 50 companies. Since Mindjet software is fundamentally architected to support projects, a project based business model would not be difficult to incorporate into the product.

4. Mindjet, via Scot, says "we've priced our offerings to be comparable to similar products in our category". Unless they define their "category"extremely narrowly, that's a tough sell. Office 365 and Google Apps are the ultimate examples of collaborative software and both offer single user pricing. As noted above, Basecamp, the category leader for web-based project mgmt application, does not even use per-user pricing.

Bottom line - regardless of the underlying rational, Mindjet's current pricing model functions to constrain its market and frustrate potential users. That simply does not have to be the case. If you need assistance in addressing this problem/opportunity further, I'd welcome the opportunity to assist you as a consultant!
Photo of Gary Todd

Gary Todd

• 29 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Completely agree jwm4, excellent suggestions!!! Not convinced that anything will change without some form of communication from Mindjet though ... ??

Further to that and as a slightly off-topic but relevant suggestion, I would ask Mindjet (if they don't wish to staff this forum in any effective manner - a conclusion I draw from the lack of significant response to the comments above), to consider using Mindjet enthusiasts/evangelists such as ourselves to moderate and assist potential and existing customers on this forum. I for one would be more than happy to assist to ensure that Mindjet users get the help they need - something that I don't believe is happening enough now. With the right incentive, evangelists could easily serve to increase engagement AND SALES, if we were given the chance. Maybe we could have direct contact with specific area representatives via email to build relations, feedback user requirements and act as a go-between so that customers could get answers without additional staff costs to Mindjet. It certainly doesn't feel like it's happening effectively at the moment.

I love MindManager as a product ... but saying that, I have no confidence that all the above suggestions will be considered or even replied to by Mindjet. Communication and engagement is falling far short of the standards of the products over the last 3 years.

Moving forward, it would be nice to have a (better) response about:

1. Communication / engagement / moderators
2. Product availability for single users (multi-project consultants)
3. Alternative pricing models
Photo of Scott Gilbert

Scott Gilbert

• 157 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hello Everyone,
First let me say thank you for all of your suggestions and comments and apologize for my lack of engagement on this topic over the past few months. Based on reading the posts above, I think Gary has accurately summarized the 3 topics contained herein so let me address each of them.

1. We do have a person at Mindjet who is dedicated to responding to posts in the Community. Additionally, myself and other members of the product development organization try hard to respond and engage as best we can. No doubt we can do a better job of that going forward.

As for allowing enthusiasts/evangelists to moderate and assist potential and existing customers, that is the spirit of what this community is about. There are many other topics where in fact that is happening. Typically however these are feature/function, how to, best practice type conversations.

2. We do understand that there is a portion of the market who is interested in buying a single seat of Connect Business. We continue to evaluate our business model and revisit some of the decisions we made when initially launching the service. Conversations such as this one provide us with meaningful input that we do take seriously....despite our lack of responses at times.Stay tuned for more developments on this front soon.

3. We did consider many if not all of the ideas and companies that are proposed/mentioned above (single user, project based, monthly term, etc.) and for various reasons good or bad we opted not to pursue them. We are continuing to evaluate other options but these changes are not made easily or hastily.

In closing, let me say again that I do appreciate the detailed feedback and suggestions. As you can imagine, topics such as these are complicated and often times no single answer will satisfy everyone within a growing and evolving market.

We do plan on posting more aggressively on this board going forward. Thanks for your time and consideration.
Photo of Gary Todd

Gary Todd

• 29 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thanks Scott for the full reply. I appreciate everything you said and thank you for a good response on the forum - planning is great but I need to see the proof now, through more frequent response to users from Mindjet reps.

I just want to clarify a couple of points in response to this (this is aimed at Mindjet, not Scott!):

1. I think there is a difference between 'responding to posts', and the preference of 'engaging with forum users'. I have been 'responded to' on these forums, and I have even had issues resolved, but I still don't feel like I'm being fully engaged or liaised with ... as a paid up customer. Sure, Mindjet love people telling them how to make a product that people will buy, that's a given, but it's often one-way traffic on the whole. I have been an active member of many forums over the years, and this forum has by far the least Organisation Representative interaction I have seen , which as I have said before is a shame.

2. Mindjet, please do not take things from these forums into the Mindjet office and then never tell us what is happening with them until we find some feature in a release in 18 months time. I have seen several instances on this forum of people commenting or requesting features to be considered, and then no response or the age-old 'we will consider it' comment. I just don't believe this anymore - it is insincere and patronising at best when not acted on and then reported on to the enquirer. How long should I 'stay tuned' or 'watch this space' for?? Better to say when you will get feedback to the enquirer and then if there is no information by that date that you can share, at least say that in a response on the date they expected and then give another date. This is CUSTOMER ENGAGEMENT (and common sense!).

3. Mindjet definitely have a significant number of customers that would buy a Connect package for individual consultants in whatever form - monthly subs, per project, per user, etc. The problem I have is that I need this NOW and I see larger organisations who have it NOW. So I am forced to a) spend silly money on a 3-user account that is not adequate for numbers of customers and projects that I have, or b) use other available collaborative software tools. I understand this is not an overnight fix to allow single users, etc. but the longer this takes (assuming Mindjet are even considering it - reading between the lines, it doesn't feel that way), the more likely someone else will give me what I need. And the more likely it will be cheaper, such is the marketplace at the moment. So, I would really like Mindjet to tell us 'when' they will tell us 'if and when' Connect will be available to single users.

I'm trying to remain balanced and objective about all this, cause it seems so obvious to me (?).
Photo of Bjorn Eriksson

Bjorn Eriksson

• 197 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Couldn ́t agree moore: "The problem I have is that I need this NOW"

For me and my customers the solution is simple: Dropbox.
Photo of Bjorn Eriksson

Bjorn Eriksson

• 197 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I just got this offer from Mindjet:

"Get 10% off when buying 1 licence of MindManager 2012 for Windows along with 1 annual subscription of Connect Business. The Map & Share Starter Bundle combines desktop planning with the ability to store and share maps in the cloud. Offer valid until June 30th.

MindManager 2012 Single Licence Perpetual + Connect Business 1 User Annual Subscription

MindManager 2012 Single User Annual Subscription + Connect Business 1 User Annual Subscription"

What is this "1 user annual subscription"?
Photo of Brittney Mazzetta

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
Thank you for your inquiry. This is a special bundle that we are currently offering until June 30, 2012 that will allow you to get a single user Connect Business one year subscription along with the purchase of a perpetual MindManager license.
Photo of Bjorn Eriksson

Bjorn Eriksson

• 197 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Is there any limitations of any kind (e.g. number of shared maps)?

+ Garys questions, spec. what happens after 1 year.
Photo of Mick Jones

Mick Jones

• 89 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
It would be great if that offer was available to existing MM2012 users. Over the years I have purchased licences and upgrades and services totaling multiple 1000s USD. It would be good to get some recognition of the loyalty by existing full product users, by allowing them to purchase single user Connect subscriptions.
I fully understand that if a user is only using the On-line Connect version, that you do not have much revenue, hence the 3 user minimum, but i think the full product PC (or Mac) users deserve a break.
Photo of Gary Todd

Gary Todd

• 29 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Agree with Mick ... these questions instantly sprang to mind:

1. Why has this single-user license not been highlighted by Mindjet in this thread?

2. Is this only available to new customers then?

3. What happens after the year is up? If it can be renewed, why can't existing MM2012 users have a similar offer?
Photo of Sonitude

Sonitude

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I hope we can get an answer to this before the 30th June when the offer ends ... ?

To my reckoning, if Mindjet can put out an offer like this, they should be able to offer a single user Connect 'Consultant' account to a consultant at £99pa (or £9pcm) with bolt-on child accounts (for clients/projects, with limitations) at say £29pa (or £3pcm) per user. And yes, Mindjet products ARE overpriced in the UK compared to the US.

This product adaptation would allow a consultant to utilise Connect Business for both long- and short-term clients/projects, give Mindjet additional income AND help introduce Mindjet products to a whole new batch of potential customers (who would need to upgrade to a Connect Business/Consultant account to delimit the account and attach to other people other than the parent account). Too difficult for a company of Mindjet's calibre? I hope not.

Until then, I am using MM2012, Google Docs, Asana and LucidChart ... and quite enjoying the collaboration workflow ... and the price. Better not take too long with the consultant solution, Mindjet ...
Photo of Valerie Jones-Harvey

Valerie Jones-Harvey, Official Rep

• 33 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
HI everyone,

Sorry for the delay in response. We were reviewing the options for a single user of Connect Business. The offer mentioned earlier was to new MindManager customers. For existing customers we have been granted approval to also offer you a single seat of Connect Business.

Please contact Customer Service for your specific region to purchase 1 user of Connect Business.
https://secure.mindjet.com/support/co...
Photo of Gary Todd

Gary Todd

• 29 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Thank you for considering this and acting upon it.

OK so I have contacted Customer Service.

But before purchasing, I still need answers to the above questions - I have asked Customer Service to answer a couple of these before I go ahead with any purchase (expecting response by Tue or Wed) - here are the questions again, slightly modified. Perhaps someone would be kind enough to answer them 'here' for the community's benefit:

1. When is this offer available till (for existing MM2012 users)?
I assume you are extending it beyond 30th June, as this offer was only available to us after close of play on Fri 29th June (BST) and Customer Service take the weekend + 48 hours to respond.

2. What is the cost for this offer (without MM2012, which I already own)?
This has not yet been stated. Understandably, different regions will have different prices, but a price in $ and £ would be a good yardstick to all.

3. Will this offer be publicised to all Mindjet customers?

4. What happens after the one year subscription is over?
Will we be able to renew the license on a single seat basis, and at what cost?

5. What limitations will the single seat license incur with regard to connecting with other users?

6. Will it be possible to add users or upgrade to a 3+ user license at a later date? What will be the cost and implications of this?
Photo of Valerie Jones-Harvey

Valerie Jones-Harvey, Official Rep

• 33 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Answers below:

1. When is this offer available till (for existing MM2012 users)?
I assume you are extending it beyond 30th June, as this offer was only available to us after close of play on Fri 29th June (BST) and Customer Service take the weekend + 48 hours to respond.

Answer: For the customers on this string we have extended through July for now and may extend it past that dependent on internal discussions.

2. What is the cost for this offer (without MM2012, which I already own)?
This has not yet been stated. Understandably, different regions will have different prices, but a price in $ and £ would be a good yardstick to all.

Answer: I can only quote the America's cost $153 per seat per year

3. Will this offer be publicised to all Mindjet customers?

Answer: At this point, we are not publicizing this to all customers, but that may change shortly.

4. What happens after the one year subscription is over?
Will we be able to renew the license on a single seat basis, and at what cost?

Answer: Yes, you will be able to renew. The price will be the then current subscription price for one seat.

5. What limitations will the single seat license incur with regard to connecting with other users?

Answer: This is a fully functional Connect Business account.

6. Will it be possible to add users or upgrade to a 3+ user license at a later date? What will be the cost and implications of this?

Answer: Yes, you will be able to add users at the then current seat price.

I hope that these answers help

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.