"A New Mindjet is Coming" and existing software assurance plans

• Question
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I've just received a notice from an Australian distributor regarding Mindjet's intention to move to a subscription-based model across its full product range. The email links to a more detailed announcement here: http://pathways.mindsystems.com/mindj...

The announcement is both a little confusing and somewhat concerning. The subscription prices mentioned (in Australian dollars) seem quite high, although there are incentives in the form of a limited time window during which reductions are offered for those who buy new but current MM2012 licences or who upgrade to the new Mindjet 11 version if they already have a MM licence (though it is not clear which current versions are eligble for this offer).

Perhaps the greatest concern for many existing users is the lack of any mention in this announcement of any additional discounts or offers for those people who are currently participating in the Mindjet Software Assurance and Support program.

The announcement is also puzzling because I have not seen any reference to this new subscription model anywhere else, including Mindjet's own website. I'd appreciate some more information about whether the subscription model is being rolled out everywhere, some more clarity on the different subscription and upgrade options and some information on how current subscribers to the software assurance program are going to be treated.

Subject to confirmation that a subscription model along these lines will be introduced and the provision of answers to some of my questions above, I still have a range of specific concerns about the new model which I will discuss in more detail in another post. I also intend to prepare a cost-benefit comparison between the current ownership model and the new subscription approach.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1065 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Dudley Smith

Dudley Smith

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Asking users to pay full price for the MM ($360) and calling it a yearly subscription shows a lot of contempt for individual users and perhaps a little too much hubris at the value of MM for Mac (which is not on par with the MM Windows version)
While I don't know the number of users that would use BOTH MM Mac & WIndows with the same frequency, it can not be a large community. Most certainly use one or the other.
Asking users to pay a "maintenance" per year @ $49 is more reasonable.
Photo of Myk Rushton

Myk Rushton

• 8 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Just received the official email from Mindjet and replied as per the email below. I will continue to use my Mindject 2012 until it no longer functions and then replace with an alternative. From the email received I'm not quite sure how stocks of software infinitely duplicable may run out - sounds like marketing hype to me...

As someone who has previously trialed MindManager 2012, we’re excited to announce that the next phase of Mindjet is here with a whole host of new features as well as an exclusive offer*:

Now, and until stocks last, when you purchase a new copy of Mindjet 11 for Windows® (the latest version of MindManager®), you will receive access to our subscription product, ‘Mindjet’ until September 19th 2013. This includes our web and desktop applications, plus access to our mobile apps for on-the-go collaboration and mapping.

Please contact Conor O`Gorman from Mindjet at +61 (0) 2 9994 80 62 or conor.ogorman@mindjet.com for this exclusive offer.*

Thank you for your announcement

I will not be upgrading to the subscription service

As a single user who pays for their own copies I cannot afford to assist you with your profiteering

In case this stance comes a as surprise please review the following forum posts
https://community.mindjet.com/mindjet...

Regards

M
Photo of Ray Polanco

Ray Polanco

• 8 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Many of you, our individual MindManager users, have commented on our recent product and pricing changes. Before talking about the pricing or anything else, I’d want to underscore that the individual user is as important to Mindjet as ever. The company was built on helping make individuals more productive through MindMapping. This is still a core focus but we have recognized that technology needs to evolve so that people can work together at any time and at any location.

In September we launched Mindjet that integrates all our products into one offering. To simplify our launch communication we have promoted a single price of $360 per user per year. At the same time we encouraged current users to contact us about other pricing options.

After reviewing comments here and elsewhere, it is clear that we could have done a better job communicating our plans. So we’d like to provide additional details about pricing options for current MindManager users.

To underscore, the individual user is an important part of our business and will remain so. While new users pay $360 USD, current MindManager customers can upgrade to the new Mindjet for $249 USD, a slight increase compared to previous years. For $249 USD, current customers get all Mindjet products across Web, desktop (the new Mindjet Windows 11 and Mac versions) and mobile. They will also get automatic updates to the latest versions and receive the most advanced Mindjet functionality. At the end of the first year subscription, if a customer decides to not renew they keep their current version of the software.

To take advantage of our $249 USD pricing you can call us at 415-229-4200, option 2 or visit http://www.mindjet.com/shop/upgrade?l... The upgrade price will appear once the current license code has been entered.

Additionally, individual customers with Mindjet Software Assurance and Support can upgrade for $120 per year. If you’re eligible, please contact us at 415-229-4200, option 2.
Photo of mindjetmac

mindjetmac

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ray,

It's good to hear that the individual user remains the core focus of Mindjet. Let's just hope that it's indeed the user and not just the money of the user.

As for your offer, I had profited of the technology guarantee beginning of September which promised me to receive the latest version of the platform I am using once it will be released. Unfortunately, I am a Mac user. Man, was I surprised when this latest, greatest version 10 for Mac was released. Let me just quote here the release notes:

"The first release of Mindjet for Mac was focused on updating the product name and branding from MindManager to Mindjet."

I've been also informed that I will continue to receive any new version of Mindjet 10 for Mac for free if and when they are released.... If a major release consists of upgrading name and logo, I don't dare to imagine what a product upgrade from 10.0 to 10.x will bring. Some bug fixes?

Let's have a look at the pricing and your "special" offer for your loyal clients. For USD 249 we get the latest platform version as a perpetual license and a one-year subscription to your "subscription service". The perpetual license, we have it already on our existing product, for Mac nothing is new, and for Windows users there have been some (in my view not many) new additions with MindJet 10/11. The offer for the subscription service is just pushing the issue a year into the future.

Next year we will have to pay $360 (or much more for European customers) or we're stuck.

Personally, I don't need the Windows version nor do I need the online version (previously Connect?), nor mobile. All I care about is having a functioning standalone Mac version, which ideally is functionally equivalent to the Windows version so that I can exchange files without any issues with clients and colleagues on the windows platform.

With the subscription service, I will not be able to upgrade to Version 11, 12 etc. of Mindjet Mac unless I pay you every year the "modest" amount of $360 starting next year. Your "special" offer is just a one-shot $120 reduction for a big package of apps of which I will anyway just use one of them.

Locking again at your above reply, it is clear to me that you are not listening to all our comments, but that you continue to try and shuffle your new strategy down our throat.

I can just iterate what others have also said. For me there is no way that I will pay such an exaggerated price for your subscription service in the future.
Photo of Per O. Andersson

Per O. Andersson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Mirrors my own situation exactly...
Photo of RobiNZ

RobiNZ

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Ray it was not just "we could have done a better job communicating our plans" but the structure and pricing of the plans which is the problem. As a customer I feel Mindjet have said: 'Subscribe to all our product range, a terribly limited web only offer or get lost'.
If "all" was a reasonable increment on the MSA cost I might consider it but you have pushed the cost of maintaining a current MindManager desktop license from ~$6/month to $30 and added services I don't need or want to pay for.
Photo of Damon Casey

Damon Casey

• 22 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Ray, unfortunately, even the reduced cost subscription is not a good deal for me. I want to use MindManager on the Mac, I don't need or want the web, Windows or iOS versions. I have iThoughtsHD on iPad which is perfectly capable that I don't need anything else.

The last upgrade from MindManager 8 to 9 was $129. MindManager 8 was released in January 2010 and MindManager 9 released in June 2011. Basing the costs on that, I would be paying $249 per year, nearly double what I would pay for an upgrade if release cycles were annual (although this has not been the case since I started using MindManager 6).

The feature set for MindManager for Mac is way behind MindManager for Windows and I see no value in paying an additional $120 for the first year and then having it increase to an additional $231 for subsequent years.

There are no new features that I would receive in paying for this subscription, only different versions of the product I do not need. I would like to see a true upgrade from MindManager 9 to MindManager 10 where there is parity between the Mac and Windows versions at the same upgrade cost of $129 and then I would see better value.

Unless this subscription model is significantly reduced or upgrade pricing reinstated for people who only want a single product, you will lose another customer to your competition.
Photo of Gerwin Schalk

Gerwin Schalk

• 51 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
@Ray Polanco: When will we see a version for Windows Phone 7.5/8?? I should pay for a mobile version, but tere is no way to work on my mobile device. I like the deep integration with Microsoft Office 2010 and so on, but there is no way to work with Windows Phone???
Photo of Kevin L Rush NCARB AIA CSI

Kevin L Rush NCARB AIA CSI

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
When will there be a Windows Phone 8 app that syncs with Microsoft Office 2010, Sharepoint, and Skydrive? Microsoft has connected the Office software so that it is linked from the Desktop PC to Tablets, Windows Phone, and "web apps" (like MindJet with MindManager). Now we need an app on Windows Phone. Come on MindJet, do your part.
Photo of Bruce Caithness

Bruce Caithness

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I know value and price are different concepts, but it seems to me that Mindjet has priced itself out of the market. I wish Mindjet every success but they are making it hard for themselves.
Photo of Myk Rushton

Myk Rushton

• 8 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Whilst Mindjet are upping their prices some other companies are dropping theirs

http://www.xmind.net/newsletter/octob...
Photo of Stark Huet

Stark Huet

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
It's amazing that your post was not removed yet...
Photo of Xavier van Binsbergen

Xavier van Binsbergen

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
NovaMind (for Mac) also just slashed their prices from USD 50-150-250 to USD 30-80-150 (for Express/Pro/Platinum versions)

Xavier van Binsbergen

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
In a world where outrageous software license prices are quickly disappearing due to innovations like Apple's app store (for both iPhone/iPad and for Mac), Mindjet chooses tot go against the flow and ask a staggering € 360 EACH AND EVERY year to use their product.

As a comparison:
NovaMind asks € 25, € 67 or € 126 depending on functionality for a version license.
XMind is free, € 79 or € 99 for a license and € 79 A YEAR for a
subscription.

And for you Project minded people like me: the € 99 XMind license or € 79 subscription also gets you Gantt functionality!

I have been using Mindmanager since 2005 and have been an enormous fan and advocate which has resulted in countless new customers and enthousiasts. Ik think I have spent a few hundred Euro's on Mindmanager licences over the past seven years. If I were to continue using Mindmanager for another 7 years according to the current subscription plan, that would set me back a staggering € 2.520...

I love Mindmanager software, but I simply can not find a justification for spending these kinds of amounts of money to keep using it. You just lost a (formerly) very satisfied customer and advocate of your products.
Photo of Myk Rushton

Myk Rushton

• 8 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Unfortunately and short sightedly it is not possible to flag your reply as a 'good answer' so my response is Good Answer
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1057 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
Er, no, that is not the only reason companies lower prices.

There are plenty of times when they may do so even if they are attracting plenty of sales at a given price. For example, they may do so because they are coming under pressure from their competition or to pre-empt potential competition from a new entrant to the market. They may also do so because they are selling so many items they can increase scale economies and reduce production and distribution costs.

Alternatively they may also do so in an attempt to take advantage of a weakened and overpriced competitor by grabbing market share. Cynical I know, but that's capitalism for you.

Xavier van Binsbergen

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Myk, I am just lost with respect to the Mindjet strategy.

And I have no idea why my post can't be flagged... Why is that ?
Photo of RobiNZ

RobiNZ

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I've been using MindManager since the days of X5 Pro and love the product. However unless some alternative price packages are considered I will not be choosing to "upgrade" to subscription. My full position is outlined in this blog post

http://rcd.typepad.com/rcd/2012/10/ha...

but in short, too expensive for me.
Photo of mdalves

mdalves

• 61 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Very good post. Thank you.
Photo of Domain Admin

Domain Admin

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Note to the MindJet Management:

I have MindManager 9 for Mac (used to use and still own {read "not used"} the Windows Version but am a Mac only convert). Also had a group license in the past for my product management teams, and have been using the product since V5.

So......what's my opinion (seasoned, long-time user and software industry person). Many of us individual users use the product for our personal planning and ideation. I pay for my Mac license with my own cash (even though its buggy, has way less features than the windows version, and the least "Mac-like" software I use) --> your pricing proposal is too expensive and counter to the "cloud" software approach to "usage" based software (ie. pay for what you use relative to benefit). I can't believe how patient I am with your software even though the bugs never get fixed in the mac edition - Perhaps because I like(d) it and am one of your "champions".

Case for your "champions":
Consider the single user a "plant"....with likely corporate licenses from champions like myself. Nuke the individual user, and you've lost the champions. eg. Salesforce.com will let you use the product for free to start as a single user, but does incredibly well with its "internal champions" that result in company-wide licenses. If one could be bothered to pay for, install, and learn a software package for one's individual use, then that's a "champion". Lose those people, and you've lost your in-roads. When I left my "big" company, MindJet lost its corporate/group license for my teams, but I got more at my next company and many ex team members got their own license. Case in point.

good luck with your business - am looking for an alternative for Mac now.....
Photo of Per O. Andersson

Per O. Andersson

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Exactly my situation, the subscription is _way_ too expensive for a private user, and for the status of the Mac-version. And when that falls, falls my dvocacy and use at my (global) company... Am presently figuring how to perhaps enhance a simple mindmapper with Evernote...
Photo of Bruce Caithness

Bruce Caithness

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
The ill-thought out pricing strategy has assisted me to clarify the place of mind mapping as a productivity tool. I was thoroughly wedded to Mindjet Mindmanager since the very early versions. I now just regard Mindjet as another mind mapping tool - it is not a full word processor, it is not a flow chart tool, it is not a full spreadsheet tool, it is not a full novel writing tool. It is a mind mapping tool, just one of many. It is more highly priced than full office suites. I do not understand the mind set of the owners of Mindjet, even the online sharing is old hat in the world of Dropbox, Evernote and Google and Microsoft office. I will continue to use my legacy version because GyroQ still works with it, and that's about it.
Photo of Ian Perry

Ian Perry

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I find it amazing that a thread/conversation with such a following and number of comments appears to be being ignored by Mindjet.

There must be some bigger plan in motion here. I suspect that the only event that will make Mindjet change this policy is if the Q4 numbers do not sit well with the board/investors. 1 month down and 1 to go with Christmas on the back end is going to be tough I reckon.

Maybe they are trying to slowly kill off the desktop product which I would find amusing as the current feature list of "Mindjet" is 50% Windows Desktop and if that was removed the list would be even more sparse for your hard earned $30/month.

On the pricing side I note that another vendor is offering a 30% reduction on their subscriptions this week....either ALL Mind Mapping software is becoming a very hard sell or they are really trying to take advantage of Mindjet's move and aggressively "go for the throat" while the opportunity exists.

In any event I shall continue to use MindManager 9 and 2012 as there is nothing in Mindjet 11 I require/want and I can manage to do everything I need for now....so until sanity returns or a really good value new version is offered my $$'s are staying in my bank....

P.S. Subscriptions suck!
Photo of mdalves

mdalves

• 61 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
This is also being discussed at Chuck Frey's Mind Mapping Software Blog, RobiNZ Cad Blog and Linkedin. Not enough to catch Mindjet's attention.
Photo of Mick Jones

Mick Jones

• 89 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I think many users(myself included) are going to be looking to extend their investment in MM2012 desktop version, by adding various add-ons. I think there are a couple of MM resellers/developers are actively working on developing useful add-ons.
Photo of tom.method

tom.method

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Indeed, the guys from MODI commit to further support for MM2012. I'd rather pay them for add ons I want, then MM for features I don't wan't. On the other hand, that's not a blame for MM but simply a choice I made. MM must be very proud to have such a loyal user base, as usually customers don't complain, they just quit. But then again, this isn't retail of course ... :-)
Photo of Ian Ross

Ian Ross

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just to add another voice, I too have been an enthusiast and an advocate of MM. However based on this subscription nonsense I have stopped singing their praises and am already advocating use of a competitors product .

I can only imagine that they are trying to increase the book value of MM by converting to subscription, putting the future value of the subscriptions on the balance sheet and then off to market.

If this is the case they are unlikely to change anything, this is not about the customer, this is about cashing in and checking out. Oh well!!
Photo of Ian Perry

Ian Perry

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
@ Ian, yes that sounds like a possible reason for the madness. I wonder what happens to that plan if they don't get enough "subscribers"? Then I guess we will see the back pedaling start and "Special Offers" appearing almost weekly...together with the sudden re-appearance of perpetual licensing again.

I cannot believe that with the public comments here and elsewhere that the "silent majority" is happy to shell out a ridiculous amount for what is a weak solution being passed off as an innovative one. As I said before, Q4 numbers will be the concern...

Let's hope sales are bad and they see the error of their ways..and that its not too late to put a recovery plan into place...either that or lets hope its good and they sell out to a group of stakeholders who actually know what they are doing and how to create decent integrated systems that deliver while treating long standing loyal customers with the respect they deserve...

"Just say NO!" to Subscription!
Photo of Mark Ostryn

Mark Ostryn

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I presume that Mindjet is under pressure to step up profits from its investors. so they think they've invested in some glowing "social media" friendly website and can claim to their financiers that they are moving to the latest generation "SAAS" model.

Guess what?

Bullshit! They break every rule with social media. You never make friends by pissing too many people off - not in 2012, anymore than in 1912. They have the audacity to ask for praise on their home page, but there's nowhere for criticism, even constructive. The phone numbers have disappeared, and my email to them has been ignored. (I guess this restructure has cut heads) and now the surviving employees work their jobs within this Stalinist regime until they can find new ones.

Their corporate customers aren't stupid either. This will destroy them unless they backtrack, because any smart software developer will capture their disenfranchised market through import capabilities- if they haven't already.
Photo of Brittney Mazzetta

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
Hi Mark. I noticed you mentioned that you reached out to someone at Mindjet and never received a response. Could you tell me who you reached out to so that I can follow up for you? Thank you!
Photo of Myk Rushton

Myk Rushton

• 8 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
@Brittney We (those posting and lurking in this forum) are all reaching out! Why not respond to all those with similar queries and are listening right here?
Photo of Mark Ostryn

Mark Ostryn

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hello Brittney. Thanks for your response. You asked who I "reached out" to. Firstly, I sent an email through the website to the US office last Thursday asking about converting to the Mac software. Then yesterday, I phoned the Australian office. When I asked to speak to Conor O'Gorman (the person who'd sent me the new Mindjet notification) an incredibly rude person told me they weren't in the office and said they'd call back. Haven't heard anything since.
Photo of Brittney Mazzetta

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
I can follow up with the group that you emailed and have someone contact you. Where did you send the email to the US office? Was it to Customer Support or another department? Thank you!
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1065 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Wow - over a hundred posts on this topic which I started two months ago. I don't know if this is a record on a Mindjet forum and if it is whether I should laugh or cry.

OK, the 103 posts includes multiple posts from the same people as well as posts supportive of Mindjet's new subscription model (though not too many of these), but the response indicates both the depth of feeling about this issue and the strong opposition of many of Mindjet's more experienced users to this new model.

Several things stand out from the responses. First is the opposition to the move to a a subscription model per se; for some users this is a matter of principle, while for many others it's because of practical considerations.

Closely associated with this is the widespread condemnation of the extraordinarily high subscription fees Mindjet is attempting to charge. While there are some suggestions that the quoted prices are merely a basis from which major discounts to corporate users, there is a strong feeling that these headline prices are simply unsustainable for smaller organisations and individual users. They will also make it impossible for individual users within a large organisation to encourage the "viral" spread of mindmapping through the enterprise.

In other words, Mindjet will now have to do the bulk selling of their product upfront to large corporates instead of relying on early adopters. This might just work if Mindjet had developed a compelling new product range as a basis for their subscription model, but as several users have pointed out, clearly the company has failed to do so.

Instead, according to these users, all Mindjet have done is to cobble together the existing agring and modestly-updated PC product, a Mac version which misses many of the PC version's features, barely adequate tablet and smartphone apps and a couple of third-party products - and attempted to call the result the "new" integrated Mindjet collaboration subscription package.

Some users are cynical enough to suggest that this is being done to convince investors that Mindjet has caught the online software subscription wave. I don't know about this, but it would seem that if Mindjet are trying to transform themselves so as to compete in whst is for them a completely new market space, they have done a fairly poor job of it.

As some people have pointed out, Mindjet run the risk of burning a large chunk of their existing users while failing to attract many new ones. This does not seem to me to be an approach which investors would enthusiastically support embrace.
Photo of Patrick Baker

Patrick Baker

• 48 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Hi Mark

Patrick here for Mindlogik Ltd. We provide sales and support to both New Zealand and Australia for Mindjet product.Feel free to give me a call or Skype me (patrickbaker) and I'll make every effort to get your questions answered.
Photo of Mark Ostryn

Mark Ostryn

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for that Patrick. It was reassuring that having made several years investment in the MindManager product more than 200 maps), and using / selling it through the business education market to the corporates - that someone is prepared to talk me through these commercial issues.

If only your empathy could pervade throughout the higher echelons before MindJet becomes another MBA case study in how stupidity (and short-termist ROI thinking) destroys a good technology.

Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Some competitors are keen enough to use Mindjet’s new licences model for there own advertising. They compare their browser mapping tools with Mindjet web. In this case Mindjet web of course is too expensive.
What Mindjet forgot to tell is that the new Software Suite includes a brand new social task management tool. And this tool makes the high price worth. We even had customers requests for the new Mindjet tasks only. These companies don’t know the mapping part of Mindjet web.
So Mindjet please start to tell yout customers, evangelist and resellers what they realy get with this nes Mindjet Suite. It’s not only MindManager for Windows or Mac. Those applications are just one part of the whole suite anymore.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1065 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Andreas,

I understand that the new incarnation of Mindjet has additional web-based task management tools. However this isn't of much use to self-employed consultants or for that matter to mindmapping enthusiasts in larger companies.

Of course Mindjet can and should innovate and package its products in whatever way seems fit to them. However Mindjet's new approach is a bit like going from selling commercial vehicles to buying out Ferrari - and then telling your customers you have to buy a package of a sportscar and a truck combined and pay for the privilege on an annual basis. Not surprisingly, not every MindJet user is going to want to do this.
Photo of Mick Jones

Mick Jones

• 89 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Not to be a naysayer... i have been a very loyal user of Mindjet for many years. But the Project tool they integrated is limited in its views. I would have preferred to have seen export/import functionality to some of the better Project Mangement tools available, like Teamwork PM Gravity, Basecamp, Versionone etc. which are already widely in use by Project managers WW............IMHO
Photo of Ray Polanco

Ray Polanco

• 8 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Official Response
All,

Over the past several weeks you may have heard or read about our new subscription and pricing model. There has been a spirited and productive exchange about Mindjet’s product and pricing model and what that means to both our customers and the company as a whole. In each comment and post the passion of the Mindjet Community has come through. Thank you for your feedback.
I’m writing to say “we hear you” and we have taken action.
We want to make sure that individual users focused on information mapping can get started with Mindjet and are counted among our biggest fans.
We know that the individual and word of mouth play a strong role in the success of Mindjet – when people see someone using our products, they naturally want to know more about how they can use such a great productivity tool. Individual users often become team users when their colleagues see the value of Mindjet. With your feedback we’ve aligned our web, marketing and sales efforts around the globe to make sure that the individual remains a cornerstone of what we do – now and into the future.
Today, we introduced Mindjet for Individuals, and while it won’t meet everyone’s wishes we do think it goes a long way to meet many of our customer’s individual needs.
We believe that the simplicity of a single Mindjet is a key to success in the future; and with Mindjet for Individuals we want to be sure our customers who want the best in information mapping and task management at a more affordable price to Mindjet’s can get it. The Mindjet for Individuals subscription includes our desktop products for Windows and Mac, along with use of the Mindjet web app for personal file storage and task management. The price is $180 (USD) per year and we’re offering a 50% year-one loyalty discount for Mindjet customers that bring the price for existing MindManager customers to $90 (USD) for the first year. Multi-year purchase options are also available.
For those of you that have purchased Mindjet’s full subscription offering and now want to trade in for Mindjet for Individual please contact customer support at customer.support@mindjet.com and we will convert your subscription
To learn more about Mindjet for Individuals go to www.mindjet.com/customers/individuals.
As always we look forward to your comments which continue to make us a better, more responsive company.

Raymond Polanco
Vice President, Global Customer Success
Photo of Martin Silcock

Martin Silcock

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Here's an idea for you Raymond. In your subscription model give a loyalty discount. Each year you stay with MindManager you get a higher discount.

The problem you have created for many is simply

1. Perceived value v price is too small
2.You did not really engage with individual users when new strategy was developed
3. Cloud may be the future, but the future is not evenly distributed yet
4. Mindmapping adoption in businesses tends to be viral, not central IT demanded - you need advocates...and in many cases your recent actions are losing these
5 You risk losing your core users by not providing a good enough and optional migration path. Nokia did this with OS systems and went from 40- share to <10% in 2 years.

Try running an NPS (net promoter score) survey amongst user base and I suspect the 8 and 9 level values (i would recommend) will have plummeted.

Be truly responsive and provide a no subscription final desktop version of MM, with no more upgrades promised, but open for 3rd parties to develop and run in parallel with the subscription model, and let your customers have a choice.
Photo of Mark Ostryn

Mark Ostryn

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Martin - Methinks you're wasting your time telling these half-wits how to treat their customers.

Even if Cloud was appropriate for Mindjet (which it ain't thanks to speed issues) a US$180 per annum snip is obscene. Microsoft Office has 100x the functionality, cost me US$190 with a free upgrade to MO2013 and my desktop copy will remain active ad infinitum. Microsoft will have to earn my future dollars, not like these Mindjet clowns.

Secondly, their hype stinks so badly its laughable. Two rounds of press releases telling us how wonderful their new offerings are - and how they are doing us a favour! Plus they have a cheek to include a "give praise" section on their community social media.

Thirdly, they have spent the last many years engaging their community - asking for beta trials, feedback etc, giving us free Mindjet web product, knowing full well that as soon as we roll over and reveal our backsides, they give us the proverbial you know what!

I love Mindjet. They have provided me with a beautiful case study in how to totally screw up social marketing that I can relay to the many hundreds of entrepreneur students I speak with every year. I had to pay the US$90 this year as I was unprepared for their grubby grasping, but overall it's been worth it, cos there's plenty of mapping products out.

I'd even pay another $90 to be a fly on the wall when they present their actual / budget cash flows to their private equity backers.
Photo of Martin Silcock

Martin Silcock

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I know. Having set up the first and still the original and even now biggest online forum on Yahoo 1999 I have always wanted MM to be successful.

There has always been an element of "we know best" in their relationship with customers, but until the recent moves that break the relationship for many, people have put up with it.

No product or brand can dictate for ever though, and when £££ is the only prime thought, and you treat customers and users as dependent on you that is when things will go off the rails. It happened to Nokia, may even happen to Microsoft. Mindjet have a choice and an opportunity still to keep their options open...but it takes a humbleness that I don't see them possessing to help them realise the valley of folly they are creating for themselves.
Photo of mdalves

mdalves

• 61 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thank you ! Good move from Mindjet !
Photo of Mick Jones

Mick Jones

• 89 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Thank you, this fills out the product offerings
Photo of David Jade

David Jade

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
For this new "Mindjet for Individual" subscription, if you already own MindManager for Windows does this new individual plan include the perpetual license or is this a subscription only product.

I want to know what happens to my desktop software if I end my subscription. Do I lose all access then?
Photo of Troy

Troy

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi David,

Mindjet for Individuals is a subscription only product.

Hope that helps.
Photo of mdalves

mdalves

• 61 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Please make it clear for me. I own a MM12 license, and it's supposed to work forever. If I upgrade to Mindjet 11 and choose not to renew after the first year, will the Mindjet Desktop 11 stop working ? Will I loose access to my files ?
Photo of Valerie Jones-Harvey

Valerie Jones-Harvey, Official Rep

• 33 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If you bought MM12 as a perpetual product, it will continue to work. If you upgrade to Mindjet, the subscription product, and choose not to renew then the Mindjet Desktop 11 solution will stop working at the end of the term.

If you save your files as .mmap on your computer then you will be able to open them with MM 2012. If however you save them to Mindjet web and don't renew then you will lose access, but could download maps before your subscription end date. Does that answer your question?
Photo of mdalves

mdalves

• 61 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Yes, thank you.
Photo of tom.method

tom.method

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for this honest and clear answer. While the price is more than ok (the 90$, that is), I will not "upgrade" to a product that stops working after one year.

As long as Windows and Office allow me to use MM2012, I will do so. The product is good (perfection being impossible, of course), the add ons even better. Meanwhile, competitors will have catched up in features, or a better business case for sticking with MM might appear.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.