Add ability to Powerfilter and Search against custom Topic Properties

• Idea
  • Updated 3 months ago
Topic Properties are a great idea.  But without the ability to filter or search against them the collected data is essentially useless.  This is a top level priority request for my team.  Please consider for next release.
Photo of David DeBonis

David DeBonis

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated that this is not possible

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1038 Posts
  • 251 Reply Likes

While you can't filter for topic properties and using the basic Find feature doesn't work either, you can search for them. Just click on the Find and Search button next to the Find box and a drop-down menu will appear. Under Search for All Occurrences, select either Search or Search in Current Map (unless you want to search multiple maps).

The Search task pane should appear (and if you have the task pane tabs visible you can click on the Search tabs to go directly to this pane). Click on More search options (in faint blue print under the Search button) and should see a selection of tick boxes for various options, including Topic property names and Topic property values.

The annoying thing is that there visible indication of the search results in the map they are not filtered or even highlighted. Instead the selected topics are listed under the current map name in the Search Results list that makes up the bottom half of the pane; clicking on an individual topic will highlight it on the map and you can also send the results to a selected topic or a new map, but that's about all you can do.

It would be great if the ability to filter properly for topic properties was built-in or even if the search function just had the option to highlight or the relevant topics in the map. In the short term it might be an idea to approach Nigel Goult at Olympic Limited to see if a future version of his MAP add-in for MindManager could incorporate at least the ability to highlight all the topics with properties that meet the search criteria.

Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
Yes, filtering on Topic Properties would be a great addition!
Photo of Charles Pfeffer

Charles Pfeffer

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Agree with this suggestion for MM 12 for Mac as well.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1028 Posts
  • 250 Reply Likes
Are you certain you can't do this in MM 12 for Mac? MM 2019 for Windows has the ability to filter for topic properties, and it would be surprising if they haven't added this to the Mac version.

If that is the case however, check if there is an option to use topic properties as triggers in the Mac version of Smart Rules. If there is you can use topic properties to change a topic format, so that for example all topics with the relevant topic property turn a specific colour. In turn you could filter based on this topic colour.
Photo of Charles Pfeffer

Charles Pfeffer

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Alex, Thanks for the information. It looks like I can use the SmartRules feature to select for a topic name, though not a topic property (at least not that I have found so far). I created a work around for my purposes using tags. I'm hoping in the future to avoid this double entry task.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1028 Posts
  • 250 Reply Likes

That's interesting - the MindManager comparison chart suggests that the SmartRules feature has been implemented as a new feature in both the MM 2019 for Windows and MM 12 for Mac version, which suggests that they are identical: https://www.mindjet.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/MM2019-WinvsMac12-comparison-rgb-letter-EN-FIN-3.... 

It's hard to do a direct comparison of this or any other feature without having both versions to play with, and you can't access a full version of the Mac help file online, but what information there is on the MM website lists the following as SmartRules triggers in the Mac version:

- Icons.
- Number of Attachments.
- Number of Links.
- Number of Subtopics.
- Part of Task Info Roll-up Branch.
- Resources.
- Tags
- Task Start Date or Task Due Date.
- Task Effort or Task Duration.
- Task Milestone
- Task Priority
- Task Progress
- Task Location
- Task Belongs to Branch
- Topic Text.

Interestingly this is similar to the list that appears in the help file for MM2019, though its clear from some of the terminology used that this hasn't been fully updated from MM2018's Conditional Formatting feature (the forerunner of SmartRules). A screenshot of the MM2019 trigger list from the SmartRules dialogue box reveals this:

The key difference is that the MM2019 help file does not include Properties or Topic Location, even though these are present - and the only one of these missing from the MM 12 for Mac list is Properties.

Therefore I wouldn't necessarily trust the documentation. Another important thing to remember is that some of the triggers, for example, Properties and Task Effort, don't appear on the trigger list unless there are topic properties or values for task effort in the map. Therefore I suggest two things:

1. Ensure you have topic properties in the map before trying to see if there is a trigger available.
2. If there still isn't a properties trigger, document this and any other differences and raise the issue with Mindjet/Corel.

If this is the case it would seem that the range of SmartRules triggers in the Mac version is more comparable to those in MM2018's Conditional Formatting feature and therefore the Mac 12 feature is clearly not identical to the MM2019 Windows version.

For the sake of completeness I've also added the MM2019 screenshot of effects below:

(Edited)
Photo of Charles Pfeffer

Charles Pfeffer

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Alex, Thanks again. I have now located the triggers you indicated. I can see that the logic process I will need to use is different from the one I was anticipating. Very much appreciate the help.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1028 Posts
  • 250 Reply Likes
Thanks Charles. I assume this means the range of triggers in the Mac version contains topic properties, which is great. This means you might find my article comparing SmartRules and Power Filters in MM2019 for Windows may be useful for the Mac version as well: https://sociamind.com/2019/01/29/whats-new-in-mindmanager-2019-1-smartrules-outsmart-power-filters/