Affordable home user version for dyslexics

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Hi, I'm a dyslexic home user and currently using MindManager 8 and was considering upgrading some time soon if I manage to get a new computer. Mindmanager is a vital tool to help me stay organised in my personal life and don't know how I would cope without it. Its also not been dumbed down like many other mindmapping programs that seem to be aimed more at kids than intelligent adult! While also being nicer and easier to use that some others.

So the question is whether there is/will be a home user version of 'Mindjet v11' I can use off line (I need to take laptop everywhere and can't afford/rely on a mobile dongle thing). I don't need gnat charts, collaboration or brainstorming stuff. I just need to be able to create detail mindmaps with lots of links, notes and formatting etc.

There is no way on earth I can afford £324 PER YEAR for this. Please tell me your focus on the business market means you are not abandoning your home disability users like me.
Photo of lance.d.brown

lance.d.brown

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Samuel Edge

Samuel Edge

• 2 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I've been a loyal MindJet / MindManager user for 20 nearly years now. Before this whole cloud thing exploded, a small company came out with with an online MM solution, mindmeister. See https://www.mindmeister.com. I've been using them for two years now. (~$47.00 / year).

I would hope MindJet sees their current pricing model as a being cost prohibitive to the "home/personal" or even the small business, which I am.

FYI: It seems today, that adding up all the costs of my subscription software, I'm certainly not paying less :~
Photo of Mick Jones

Mick Jones

• 89 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Similar story, I have been a MM user for many years, up to 2012 now. My Son has ADHD and visualizing through maps helps him, particularly with larger projects. I had been working on collaborating with him through Connect when i travel on business, but it has become to expensive. As you mention there are more affordable options around, and the features are catching up. There are other ways to collaborate as well, with Cloud storage services and free screen sharing ..(skype etc...)
Photo of lance.d.brown

lance.d.brown

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Life's hard enough without having to replace a much loved and trusted tool. I'll have to keep MM8 going as long as I can and look for another tool I can migrate my data to. I really rather not waste my time doing this and just want to be able to carry on using it. It was always expensive, but at least that cost lasted several years.
Photo of Kelly Miller

Kelly Miller

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Lance,

You can always look at Mindjet web, at half the price of Mindjet it sounds like it would give you the core functionality you need. You could then invite your son as a guest editor to the maps you wanted to share with him. Also, if he has an iOS or Android mobile device, he could download the mapping tools from Mindjet for those devices and then access a map you stored in your Mindjet web account.

Kelly.
Photo of Mick Jones

Mick Jones

• 89 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi Kelly,
I appreciate the response, I think the reply was meant for me rather than Lance.
Looking at the site that solution would cost me 180 dollars annually(if i pay in advance) and the web functionality is considerably less, according to the comparison chart. Also i know by experience that a lot of the formatting elements don't exist in the web version.
so over the next 4 years that would be a cost of 720 dollars.
Photo of lance.d.brown

lance.d.brown

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I treat Mindmanager as a personal knowledge database. I often lay it out so I have multiple maps per worksheet with hundreds (if not more!) topics per sheet. Each of these may contain extensive notes with formatting and images in them, links to other topics, maps and web pages.

Also and ESSENTIALLY I have MANY links to files on my computer so its also my file browser for my PC so I never loose anything!

This level of detail needs more that a phone or tablet screen and goes with me where ever I take my laptop (which is usually everywhere). So if I'm in a meeting or day long training course (I'm still talking for personal stuff here btw not just at work) for example I still have access to all this info and functionality and data.

I do like cloud computing and love the idea of all this info being available on all gadgets, but it would need the FULL functionality of the desktop app. Its getting there but not quite yet. I still NEED the desktop app but this is now just not affordable.
Photo of lance.d.brown

lance.d.brown

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I should also add that I do use MindManager at work, again to help with my dyslexia / staying organised / memory aid. Its embarrassed enough asking them to pay a couple of hundred in a one off payment for a glorified note taking / info store just for me, But I'm sure they wouldn't approve the monthly fee and I wouldn't want to ask them to.

Again its only me using this and I never use the 'business' or project management features. But I still need to full control and formatting that the full app gives me.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1383 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
I am confused.
I see you are dyslectic but you still create an extremely complicated structure for your maps like you described with:

"I have multiple maps per worksheet with hundreds (if not more!) topics per sheet. Each of these may contain extensive notes with formatting and images in them, links to other topics, maps and web pages.

Also and ESSENTIALLY I have MANY links to files on my computer so its also my file browser for my PC so I never loose anything! "

A mapping structure like that, is too complicated even for non dyslectic people.
Maybe you can rethink your day-to-day workstyle?

I know this is not an answer to your question for a discount on the productpricing.
Photo of lance.d.brown

lance.d.brown

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Ary,

I understand your confusion so here's a bit of background...

I'm a formally recognised dyslexic from an early age but still managed to graduate university. I have a very technical mind, and think very visually. For me its all about how things interconnect and mind mapping really helps with that.

What I'm useless at is staying organised, memory, taking written notes and speed of reading and writing. Without mind mapping I can easily get confused, forget important things and can't find info when I needed it. Its especially useful for not taking in meetings to record what was said and what actions I have to do.

Unfortunately dyslexia is very much an umbrella term covering a wide range of abilities and types. I also had many years of tuition to work around the more common problems associated with it when I was younger. Despite that it does still effect me on a daily basis and tools like this really help me.

Mind mapping also help you focus in on the specific node or branch that your working on and grouping related topics together. The size of the actual data your mapping is as vast as whatever it is your studying.

I really wish I had had it at university as I would have put all my notes into it and used in lectures and tutorials. That would have been quite a huge set off linked mind maps but a hell of a lot better, easier and more readable than the 2 foot pile of paper folders I ended up with!

Hope that helps

:)
Photo of lance.d.brown

lance.d.brown

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Oh, and I also over think everything as you can probably tell ;)
Photo of Mick Jones

Mick Jones

• 89 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Hi Ary
my oldest son had a small degree of dyslexia. It can come out in different ways.
with him, he simply did not process information left to right, top to bottom. Or any strict direction, so mindmapping was perfect, because he thinks in more than one dimension.
consequently i looked at his notes and could not follow the complex links which seemed to go in all directions at once. To him it made perfect sense. If i tried to organize it into lists and bullet points, he struggled.
Now he is older he has learned to "translate" his information into a more confined form that the rest of the world can process.
Mick

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.