Anybody use a virtual yellow sticky note mapping look?

• Question
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: out of date

Most people are comfortable using yellow sticky notes for brainstorming. It is familiar and comfortable.

I want the map on my shared desktop to look like a virtual whiteboard, with yellow sticky notes on it, able to moved, grouped, etc.

Has anybody figured out how to build custom topic shapes that look and act like yellow sticky notes? In particular: were you able to contrain the size/aspect ratio of the shape? Were you able to insert text without distorting the shape and ruining the illusion?

I have tried several import/customize approaches, but can't get the shape to behave.

Thanks for any help.
Photo of Phillip Greene

Phillip Greene

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1036 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
I don't think you will be able to improve on what you have described.

Stick to standard shapes with yellow backgrounds
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
Apart from Andrew's suggestions the only thing I can think of is setting a preferred width for the topic. This will wrap text when it exceeds this width, but for topics that are shorter than the preferred width you may have to insert spaces to pad them out. To pad out the height you will have to use shift+insert.
Photo of Phillip Greene

Phillip Greene

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Andrew and Alex, thanks for your answers. I tried to reply earlier on my iphone, but combination of weak signal, fat fingers, and small screen doomed the effort.

It looks like you are right, that I have taken this as far as possible.

I believe there is an opportunity for third party developer here. Idea would be to visually replicate appearance and behavior of sticky notes, something everybody is familiar with and comfortable using. But using MM, those sticky pads become intelligent objects that can be clustered, ranked, assigned, tracked, etc; everything that can be done with a MM topic.

I would buy this, and use it to brainstorm, problem-solve, etc with groups in an even more visual, comfortable way to get thoughts on the board and moving toward a solution.
Photo of Esther van Wijngaarden

Esther van Wijngaarden

• 154 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
You can use Custom Images as Topic shape and you can set the margins for the text in that shape.
Although the shape depends on the topic text, the result is not that bad.
See yourself:
https://www.mapsforthat.com/map.php?m...
Photo of Phillip Greene

Phillip Greene

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Esther, thank you very much. The map with examples was extremely helpful. I really appreciate the time you took to do this.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.