Calculate task cost using property values

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
Greetings!

I have a task with the following properties: Number of Samples (NoS) and Rate (cost per sample).
  I fill the property values and want to calculate task cost as NoS*Rate.

Is this currently possible in MM 2020 without dealing with macros?

Thank you.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 247 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1885 Posts
  • 337 Reply Likes
Yes, as described in the excellent manual and help.

I would suggest to look inthere first and if you really donot find an answer, check in this community and take care since versions get better and better, also because MindManager developers seem to follow the idea's and requests inhere.

Note I have never used a macro in MindManager

If you have properties defined, just add a formula using those properties.
You understand that you will have to define a taskcost property before you can give it a formula?

(Edited)
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 122 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Please have a look at the templates. You'll find examples for calculations.
And check Youtube and Vimeo for MM2020 videos.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 247 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Thank you for the suggestions.
My question actually was not about using formulas, but about populating task General Cost:

I there a way to automatically transfer a value of taskCost property to General Cost?

I am sorry for this misunderstanding...
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1885 Posts
  • 337 Reply Likes
What have you found in the user guide?
Can you consult a local MindManager trainer?
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 247 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I couldn't find a way to populate General cost in the documentation @ https://www.mindmanager.com/en/support/product-registration/user-manuals-and-online-help/.
Is this possible?
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 122 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
No
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 247 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
OK.
I see that few people use internal MM cost functions and tend to design user-customized formulas to calculate task costs...
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 354 Reply Likes
You can get General and Resource Costs into topic properties via a formula but it seems that it isn't possible to go the other way, ie, to calculate a General Cost from topic properties.

You could of course ignore the General Cost facility and solely use topic properties instead. This way you could create different costs, numbers etc at the topic level, then sum the costs at the parent and central topic levels using formulas to provide a de facto roll-up.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 247 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Can you comment on the difference between General and Resource Costs of a task topic, please? https://www.mindmanager.com/en/support/product-registration/user-manuals-and-online-help/ doesn't say too much about this.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 247 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Oh, I see.
Resource Costs appears only in MindManager Enterprise...
Do I get it right, that General Cost is a user-defined value?
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 354 Reply Likes
Yes, that's correct. General Cost is user-defined, but as I said before far as I can tell it can't be calculated from topic properties.

And similar to my suggestion for General Cost, you can create your own roll-up of resource costs using topic properties. For example, you could create Rate, Hours and ResourceCost topic properties. You would input the hourly rate, then in a formula make Hours = the Effort task attribute (first ensure Duration and Effort are in hours) and in another formula multiply the two together in ResourceCost. Finally you could "roll up" the ResourceCost topic properties in the parent and central topics by summing the task ResourceCosts.

This assumes of course that there is only one resource involved per task. If there are multiple resources it gets a little complicated. In theory it may be possible to do something using SmartRules to set individual resource rates but the rules and formulas involved start to get a bit convoluted and could slow performance on a large map. Before going down this route it might be best as others have suggested to wait and see what MM2021 brings in this regard.
(Edited)
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 247 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
OK, it's clear now.
However, I tend to use the standard task General Cost facility and this is very pity that MM doesn't allow to modify this using formulas.
I will try to create a macro that put's value of a selected property to General Cost for selected topics.

I wish MM Enterprise would merge with MM Single into a MM Deluxe having all the features in a single software.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 354 Reply Likes
I agree on the last point. However, even in the Enterprise version the General Cost field can't be written to by a formula (at least without a macro).