Can MM 2012 and MM 2016 (or 2018) be installed at the same time & laptop?

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago

My old laptop has installed MindManager 2012, but I would like to additionally install a newer version to see how it works in that machine system.  

The question is: Can I install the newer version (2016 onwards) without uninstalling my old MM 2012?  (OS Win 10).

Put in other words, can these 2 MindManager versions coexist in the same machine, side by side, so that I can judge which works best on my old laptop?

I just want to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling programs if not necessary?

I don’t want to get rid of my old MM 2012, without being sure that the newer version works better on this old laptop.  Thanks for your advice.
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 508 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
Yes you can - they will coexist. But bear the following in mind:

- If you purchase an upgrade (if this is available from MM2012) then under the license terms, the new license replaces the old one. You can use both during the trial period of the new version, though.
- Installing MM2018 alongside MM2012 will replace the default application for MindManager map documents and other related document types.
- Any new features in MindManager 2018 may be lost if you edit the maps again in MM2012. The basics will all work, but things like background objects in the new version will not appear if you open the map in MM2018.

You should find that MindManager 2018 is faster for large maps, as improvements were made to the performance. There are also many new features in MM2018 to help with viewing and editing data, indexing the map contents, exporting to HTML5 and so on.

(Edited)
Photo of Colin Horner

Colin Horner

• 130 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Hi Nick I could not have expressed it better! But, maybe I would have drawn a picture 18 over 12 = 1,5
Photo of Colin Horner

Colin Horner

• 130 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Mind you 2018 over 2012 = 1,00298211 - that doesn't sound so good?
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

And if I uninstall MM 2012 with the Win 10 tool (or Revo Uninstaller), then install MM 2018 to probe how it works on my old laptop; but finally decide it fairs better on another machine, can I finally reinstall MM 2012 again on my old laptop with its initial MM 2012 License Key?

I suppose I would have to uninstall & reinstall MM 2012 in the same way as I would if having to reinstall Win 10 after a crash?

Which are the Pros and Cons of Uninstalling and Reinstalling MM 2012 (if convenient); versus having them both Mindmanager versions work side by side, and then uninstall the least convenient?

Thanks for helping me decide
Photo of Colin Horner

Colin Horner

• 130 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Yes
Photo of Martin

Martin

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you both for enlighten me about how to proceed in the most convenient way. Rgds.