Can search results be leveraged programatically by macro's?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago

Can search results (from the search pane) be accessed programmatically by macro's? The search functionality is pretty quick and powerful, however, it appears that the result set can only be acted on manually (view/click).

However,  If I could iterate though the result set to act on them (eg highlight, aggregate, add to a document selection set, etc) that would really useful for my needs (and I am sure for may others).

Is that possible? If so, can a code sample be shared? 

Photo of Philip Stipcevich

Philip Stipcevich

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Not that I know of, but you should be able programatically start a search within a map and then retrieve the results. Is that something that you could use?

Philip Stipcevich

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

I can iterate though the map structure finding string matches in topics and notes, adding items of interest to the document selection collection and then operate on them. However, it seems like a clunky way of doing this when the search features seems like a much quicker and more powerful method (which also includes property names and values). I hoped that the intrinsic search object was available to leverage.

Are you referring to something other than what I mention above?       

If you know another technique, I would be happy to try it.

Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
I did some tests, and it looks like it's not possible to quickly use a search function programatically.

Philip Stipcevich

• 31 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Many thanks for the assessment and confirmation!

I am hoping that the product team could consider making the search function accessible. That would be an amazing feature to leverage.