Can't open mmp files.

• Problem
  • Updated 6 days ago
After a long absence, I am trying out the new version (12) for Mac.  I need to open some files I made years ago.  They are mmp format.  I don't remember the version of MindMap I used.  Some may have been made on a PC, some on a Mac with a Mac version.  I cannot get them to open.  I have seen some answers suggesting loading an old version of MindMap.  Where do I get that?  I don't have access to a PC, so anything requiring that solution is out for me.

Suggestions?  Thanks.
Photo of Dale Gillilan

Dale Gillilan

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1643 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Without a PC I can't see a solution for you. The current extension is MMAP since I believe vs 6 or 7 on Windows and the MMP extension has never been available for Mac as far as I can recall.

Maybe If you send your map(s) to support, they may be able to convert for you.
If you want me to do it you will have to pay normal consultancy rates for my time.
Photo of Dale Gillilan

Dale Gillilan

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
If I can borrow a PC, where would I find an old version of MindMap to use?

• 1643 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Try google on mindmanager vs older than 14

• 1643 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Another solution can be .... If mindmanager developers build an import function for *.mmp files just as there is for xmind and freemind. At least in mm2019 and mm2020
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1111 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
You may be able to use Freemind as an intermediary, as it appears to have the ability (with some additional code) to import older MM files. 

Freemind is available for Mac operating systems as well as PCs, and I understand the latest version of MM for Mac can import Freemind files. Have a look at the extensive Freemind help available online.
Photo of Dale Gillilan

Dale Gillilan

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ary, I'm really surprised they don't have a backward compatibility function or tool.
(Edited)

• 1643 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Mindjet had the function to read older MMP files in about 5 or 6 versions after they switched to the MMAP format. After that they found that NO-ONE needed it anymore and had to skip the function.

You decided, for whatever reason, not to use later releases and now....we are on version 2020 and that is 14 or 15 versions later..... you encounter a problem. You can't blame your decision on someone else.
(Edited)