can't send only selected text of a paragraph from word 2013 to mimdjet 2015...it sends the whole paragraph even if i have selected a word.

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
can't send only selected text of a paragraph from word 2013 to mimdjet 2015....it sends the whole paragraph even if i have selected a word....
Photo of anubhav singh

anubhav singh

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 842 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
That is the way this feature is intended to work - you can send only paragraphs from Word to MindManager. If you want to send only a single word, or a phrase or fragment of a paragraph in a Word document, simply copy it and paste it in the mindmap.
Photo of G ks

G ks

• 22 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Alex,

but it loses the formatting ie, Bold, text color etc
Also the formatting is lost if i want to import it.

It may be because of the default theme in mindmanager which changes the formatting to the default formatting - can importing into a map in which no theme is in effect, be a solution ?

Although formatting is retained if i simply copy-and-paste from ms word to mm but then 'linefeed' inserted into word using 'shift+enter' is lost and it is considered in mm as newline generating different topics.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 842 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
I don't have my computer in front of me but I don't think changing the theme will change this behaviour. While MindManager does allow variable formatting of text within topics especially when it is imported From Word I don't think the intention was for this to be a particularly complex or sophisticated feature.

I'm unable to try this at the moment to see if it would work but one way to deal with the linefeed problem on imported text might be to replace the linefeed in Word with one or two unique characters (for example, a pair of hashes or @ symbols) then copy and paste into MM. Then either search for or just manually find the character pairs and replace them with a paragraph/line feed.
Photo of G ks

G ks

• 22 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Alex,

Replacing the character-'group' seems a good work-around,
But there are 2 problems faced now -

1. Inside MM replace '--' by 'linefeed' or 'paragraph-mark' -> There is not ms word-like 'special characters' for 'line break' and 'paragraph mark' in the MM 'search and replace' box, also using \n, ^l, ^p does not work

2. If my topic has some Text color, Bold, Italic, Underline (All made using MM's text formatting features) -> Replacing 'even a Single Word' using 'search-and-replace' box -> un-formats 'ALL' the Topics in the mindmap (thus losing all the text color, bold, italics etc) - same happenes on using 'replace' feature on the Rich text copied from word (rich text is copied fine from word to MM, but everything gets converted to un-formatted text on using 'replace' feature)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 842 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes

OK, I think I've worked out how to do this, assuming I have the right idea of what you're trying to do.

1. Assume you have a few lines of text in Word with different formatting and fonts on each line and a tab indent in the last line which you want to appear in a single topic, as follows:

2. To do this the first thing you need to do in Word is replace the tab in the last line with the equivalent number of spaces. You can do this with Word's Find and Replace facility (as I think Andrew Wilcox pointed out in the other thread in which you had a similar request). The result should look something like this (I don't think I got the number of spaces quite right but this is just to illustrate the process):

3. Highlight the text, switch to MindManager and go to the empty topic or subtopic in which you want the text to appear, then left click inside the topic. This is a crucial step - otherwise you will end up with a separate topic for each line of text.

4. Now either press CTRL-V or right click, select Paste and then Paste Formatted Text to paste the copied text into the topic or subtopic. The result should look like this:

I hope this is what you wanted to achieve.