Collect topics of several maps to create an Overview Map

• Question
  • Updated 6 days ago
Hi

I have several maps where i want to collect and syncronise:

Level 1: Map
Level 2: Main Topics
Level 3: Subtopics

I tried since a week now. Found nothing...
Photo of gfzdjtzuj

gfzdjtzuj

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • a little frustrated...

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1112 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
You can do this by using the map roll-up in Dashboards on the Advanced tab on the ribbon to create dashboards which can show part or all of other maps.

You can select the topics that you want to link to, so you can create dashboard maps which show either link to either the central topic of another map - which would make the whole of another map available - or to specific topics in other maps. In the latter case only that topic and its child topics will be visible in the dashboard map.
Photo of gfzdjtzuj

gfzdjtzuj

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you Alex.

The thing ist, i have 20 Maps with around 10 Maintopics and around 5 sub topics.

So this would be 1000 times creating a rollup.

I need an easier way ^^
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1112 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
You don't have to roll up each topic or even each main topic individually. You could just create a roll-up for the central topic of each of these maps, which would mean each roll-up would incorporate the whole map and all its main topics and subtopics.

This means that you would have to create only 20 roll-ups.
(Edited)
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1643 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
The solution Alex proposes works like a charm and has been described in this community many times. Ofcourse it is easier to think about your design first. That would have saved you 20 maprollup actions.
Photo of gfzdjtzuj

gfzdjtzuj

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So ok, how dow i do this without crashing mindmanager? Each of these maps have around 400 ?Bubbles? ?subtopics? ^^

So the overview map would have around 8000. And 1000 Links to folders.

(This is why i need a overview map...)
(Edited)

• 1643 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Anyone can do this when following the instructions. It is easy to do and you have a very small amount of topics. So don't worry. Just do it.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1112 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes

I agree with Ary - just try it.

As far as I know, the dashboard map provides a set of links to the source maps rather than replicating and storing their content. In any case you will soon find out if the dashboard map is stable or not - and if it isn't, the original source maps will be unaffected.

However, there are some limitations of dashboard maps you need to consider. For example, if you have used tag and icon groups in the source maps and you want them to appear consistently in the dashboard map, copy these groups from the source maps and add them to the marker index in the dashboard map (ideally before you roll-up the source maps). If you don't the individual tags and icons will still appear, but only in their default groups. This could be an issue if you have used different and inconsistent tag/icon groups across the range of source maps.

Also bear in mind that dashboard maps are best for giving you a big picture overview of what is happening in the source maps. Any editing of the rolled-up material in the dashboard map will be overridden next time the roll-ups are refreshed. To make any changes to the information you will have to go back to the source maps - which is easy to do, as each roll-up provides a link to the source map.
Photo of gfzdjtzuj

gfzdjtzuj

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Okay so i think i'm missing out on some more "advanced" skills (please share a link). I just can't find any way to make this work or a forum entry which explains clear, how to do it.

This is what im having right now:

15 - Maps
*25 - Main topics
*5 - Undertopics
*around 20 Informations per undertopic

Rolled up,
filtered by red main and yellow sub topics (which i hoped would maybe solve the problem but didn't.

:(

• 1643 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
You seem to lack several basic skills on

1) mindmapping

2) digital mindmapping

3) what can be done with mindmanager

4) strategic approach on how to achieve what you want

My suggestion is... find a local experienced trainer to help you. E.g. Lerchertrain speaks German
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1112 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
I’m not exactly certain what the problem is. Is it the layout (which be changed), the fact that all the sub-topics appear in the roll-up in the dashboard map, or something else?

Perhaps you could explain a bit more or develop a dummy dashboard map to show what you want.
Photo of gfzdjtzuj

gfzdjtzuj

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Good mornig.

First of all, thanks everybody for your help ^^

The problem is, that this 1/8 of the overwiev map and each yellow subtopic has something around 100 subtopics.
So were are talking about 10'000 "information points" on the map. (i'am not sure what the correct word for the lowest hierarchy information in Mindmanager in english is)

So we could say: yes the problem is, that all levels of sub-topics appear in the Roll-Ups.
Altough i find the Rollup itself not the best solution, because i would like to create and sync topics in the overview map as well.

If this can be done, i wouldn't mind to pay a trainer. Since this would be very helpful for me having an overview on starting my companies.

• 1643 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Yes it can be done. Although that approach is not so clever. ;-)
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1111 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
If you want to sync topics then Roll-ups aren't the right answer. However, if you can use them then one way to reduce the number of topics shown in the dashboard map is to use the topic level feature in the MAP add-in.

MindManager unfortunately doesn't make it easy to access the topic level of topics within the map hierarchy, but the MAP add-in provides a facility to do so. You can also add the topic level to topics as a property which you can then access in filters and SmartRules. This way you can make the dashboard map display topics only as far down the hierarchy as you wish.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1112 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
Photo of ewrtetg

ewrtetg

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks.
I did check them already.
I modified the whole System now.
It ́s now one "Overview Map" with lot of small linked maps.
(This works simmilar).
So this Problem ist kinda solved.

Thanks for your time and advise. :))
(Edited)