Copy a map (or its part) to clipboard and paste it to Word/Excel/PowerPoint using Paste Special | Picture

• Idea
  • Updated 9 months ago
I would be very happy to have a capability to copy a map (or its part) to clipboard and paste it to Word/Excel/PowerPoint using Paste Special as per two following options.

In the result the nice maps would be pasted in vector format without quality loss, that will be then propagated to PDFs and other exports.

P. S. The idea got support during discussion at https://community.mindjet.com/mindjet/topics/issue-in-embedding-mindmanager-documents-to-ms-office
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 46 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1293 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
Maybe I do not understand completely what you want, since I never needed such a complicated way of sharing images with other Apps.

In the MM for Windows version 2018 you could use => view => make slides . Next, do a slide show and use fn - prt sc to get that in your clipboard for further use.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 46 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
If you add the objects copied to system clipboard using the procedure above you paste not a raster, but a composite object with lines/shapes/text stored as pure vector and images stored as raster. Give it a try. If you want I can send you a test document showing what is going on.

As for view => make slides: it creates a number of slides, but the map elements are converted to low-resolution raster instead of being kept as original vector.

• 1293 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
Thanks for your clarification. I have never felt the need to improve the quality of the mindmap images by using vectors. Mindmapping for me is not about beauty but about results
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 46 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I believe that results should be also beautiful enough to present. Also vectors have a great advantage --- if you print a large map to PDF and share it, then one can easily do a full-text search through the document.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 872 Posts
  • 220 Reply Likes

You can export an image of the whole map as either wmf or emf files which provide better resolution and quality than JPG or PNG images. Oddly in my experience wmf exports produce better text while emf files have better graphics - go figure.

Unfortunately you can't do this easily with slide exports. The MAP add-in does provide this facility but the resulting images aren't very high res. Your best bet here may be to use a third-party image printer.

Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 46 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thank you. I already tried this option with EMF/WMF. However I found that if you put a EMF/WMF produced by MM 2018 to a PowerPoint/Word 2013 and try to Save it As PDF (using a standard PDF filter provided with Microsoft Office), then the resulting PDF document is flawed.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 46 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Please try to save a map created in MM 2018, for example from standard Fishbone Analysis template, as EMF/WMF, then import the file to PowerPoint/Word 2013 and try to Save the resulting document as PDF. In the result you will see that the PDF is flawed:

• 1293 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
In the mac version this may be different. Those versions are not developed identically, so they will never be completely in sync.