Corrupted file MM Mac 9.5.416 -Lost 5 days work. I am so Angry!!

• Problem
  • Updated 7 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Archived - Older than 1 year old

I have lost 5 days of work due to MM.

In mac quickview the file looks good.

I launch the file in MM and all the formatting is gone, last 5 days additions are all gone, main topic text is gone, plus 2 of the sub topic text.

I import this "corrupted" file into Buzan's iMingMap v4 and all the missing stuff is still there. Everything!

Now we all know that we cannot import Buzan's iMingMap v4 files into MM so i am stuck here.

How can Mac Quickview see the file as OK, Buzan's iMingMap v4 import the file as ok, but MM Mac 9.5.416 opens the file as corrupted.

This person (rolando.alvarado) also has the same issues I have and looks like the issue was posted 3 months ago and I cannot find a evidence that MM have solved this:
https://community.mindjet.com/mindjet...

I can't understand this company and it's software and support attitude.

I can't add an image to show you all what I mean because some of the stuff I am working on is confidential, I dont want to open a support ticket because I feel solutions should be shared and hopeful other customers will be encouraged to comment.

So what am i supposed to do mindjet?

Regards,
David
Photo of RippedOffByMM

RippedOffByMM

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of RippedOffByMM

RippedOffByMM

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Now my Inspector pop out is corrupted as well.

I have uninstalled and re-installed MM but no luck
Photo of RippedOffByMM

RippedOffByMM

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Below is my reply to Mindjet posted elsewhere on this forum.

Hi Brittney,

But surely you can perform an aggregate of the "same" issues posted on this forum and at the very least send out an email to Mac users, or update your Q&A's to reflect the major similar issues being face here.
My point is that most issues here about MM and and specific OS version, with very repeatable issues being experienced.

Unless the software is so badly written that it is producing errors on a targeted spree!

Also some forum customers have also reported that your support tickets system does not provide solutions, with delays going into months on some occasions.
From my prospective that is one of the reasons why I use the forum, because at least maybe some one can help me.

Relying on mindjet is a waste of time.

I don't know whether you realize just how much Mindjet is costing your customers!
We lost 5 days of detailed brainstorming and Business Analysis work because of Mindjet.
We will never get this back, and are having to work evenings and this weekend just to redo our business strategy. Most of the inspired input will never be gotten back!

If we could sue we would have but that would be even more expense for a small operation like ours.

I have over 21 yrs software/web development & Business/Systems analysis experience, worked for over 16 years in the Telecoms, Banking & accounting industry and I can honestly say that I have never come across a company as customer-ignorant like Mindjet!

For example, the corrupted file has somehow managed to be transferred to all the backed up copies with the same name. Our last saved file was 25th July. We tried to go back the last 20 days using OS X Timemachine, but all copies are corrupted. That is just bizarre because from the first week of July we have saved the file each day, come back the next day, opened it, added to it, saved it using the current day e.g. "filename-date".
So how can all copies be corrupted.

We decided to open all the other MM files within our project and 5 are corrupted.

But a lot of our hard work is lost.
Getting some senior manager to call me does not provide us with a solution.

I am not criticizing Mindjet because I have nothing better to do. Nothing would please me more than to praise Mindjet, but I cannot.

1 - Your Mac version is badly and woefully written!
2 - Your customer support is non-existant!
3 - The solutions you suggest do not solve problems that just materialize for no apparent reason, and repeatedly!
4 - MM is not what I would now consider a Business Ready and reliable software. The cost to business is too great. To see Mindjet advertising it as Business ready is laughable at best!

We are currently evaluating Buzan's Imindmap 6.

Regards,
David
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 528 Posts
  • 179 Reply Likes
David

It would seem to be highly unusual for archived copies of a map to have suffered corruption; this seems to point at something that has gone wrong on the MindManager platform rather than within the maps.

Whatever you do, don't save over archived copies as these might be vital.

Do you have a Mac platform that has not previously had MindManager installed, onto which you could install a trial version of MindManager and try opening the maps?

Are you able to open any of the maps with MindManager for Windows?
Photo of RippedOffByMM

RippedOffByMM

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Nick,
Yes most unusual.
The common denominator is the file name, at least thats is one we know of. All files with the same name are corrupt. Even when we change the names they remain corrupt.
What is also unusual is that it is only a chunk of branches that are missing, with the rest losing all original formatting. And when we open up these corrupted files the "Inspector" pop-out is also missing key icons. This does not happen on non-corrupted files.

We have not saved over archived copies, so good advise there. And because Time machine eventually will override old backups we have copied the July backups on DVD & USB for safe keeping.

I will try and install a new mac os on a new partition and see if this makes a difference. I did un-install MM, removing all references including .plist files. We did a real good clean up before re-installing a new copy but this did not resolve the issue.

When MM works it is a powerful tool, but when it goes crazy this means all our eggs are in one basket, forcing a major rethink.

Ragards,
David
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 528 Posts
  • 179 Reply Likes
David

Can you think of any changes in environment that might coincide with the onset of corruption? Any updates to the system or to other software, or installation of new software that might have changed something on the system? Even if there are latent bugs that have responded badly, software does not usually change its behaviour without some kind of external influence or shift in conditions.
Photo of RippedOffByMM

RippedOffByMM

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
None at all.

This is not the first time it has happened.

I do not usually update the mac with new updates until we have scanned the mac forums to make sure the updates pushed by Apple are stable. ATM there are a few updates for Xcode and iphoto waiting to be installed. The notes on these updates mention compatibility with Mountain Lion but as I have no intention of using this OS release I have left the updates alone.

As regards latent bugs, well the MM software is riddled with it.

for example we have found that if your "notes" in MM have links then a)- you cannot export the file, b)-changing the view style can have random results, etc.

Also placing links directly as branches (as opposed to using the Hyperlink feature) also results in odd behavior of MM.

I will install a fresh Lion on a partition and see. Will take a good chunk of my weekend but worth it if we can get back our work.

Many thanks for all the suggestions, appreciated.

David
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1076 Posts
  • 261 Reply Likes
I've no experience of MM on Macs, but I was wondering if you could track down a Windows PC with MM and try opening the file there.

Another alternative is if anyone has an iPad is to either open the map directly in iThoughtsHD or open the iMindMap version there. IThoughtsHD will read from and write to both MM and iMindMap files, though obviously a few things can get lost in translation.
Photo of RippedOffByMM

RippedOffByMM

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I could try that, although there are comparability issues between some mac/pc versions, and don't really want to get into that saga.

Will investigate the "IThoughtsHD", as I have never heard of it.

Thanks
Photo of Brittney Mazzetta

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Hi David. I wanted to let you know that I have opened a technical support ticket on your behalf. We want to ensure that we assist you in getting this issue resolved. Someone will be reaching out to you within the next day. Thank you.
Photo of RippedOffByMM

RippedOffByMM

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi,

How do I uses this support ticket please?

Thanks

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Hi David. I believe one of our support reps has reached out to you already. Simply reply to the initial email for additional assistance. Thank you!
Photo of RippedOffByMM

RippedOffByMM

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Here is an update. Many thanks for all who have made helpful suggestions.

1- Made a new install of Lion and installed MM.
Result = Files still corrupted.

2- Made a new fresh install of Snow Leopard and installed MM.
Result = Files still corrupted.

What i dont get is that all versions of Mac OS see the corrupted files as "OK" when viewed using "quickview" in Finder.
At first I thought the OS had just taken an old "snap shot" of the file before the corruption in Lion and is just displaying it. But both Lion and Snow Leopard new installs show the file intact in Quickview.

I have not tried to open the file under the Windows PC environment. I'll install VMware and try this weekend.

Thanks.
Photo of RippedOffByMM

RippedOffByMM

• 22 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
update:

I received an email from a Mindjet support person called Thilo Hennrich offering to try and restore the corrupted file.

Well they did it and all looks good (except for a few "Chinese" like characters on a couple of the branch names).

I am grateful of the service and help. Thank you Thilo.

Now, if only they can share how this was done, and more important what caused it.

We are still worried that this is just a random corruption (at least from us users point of view) that can crop up at any time, which has reduced our confidence in the software.

We now employ a best practice process of exporting the files every few hours, and renaming the exported file.

Mindjet, you MUST know what the issues/causes are, surely?

Thanks.

David
Photo of Terry Dalton

Terry Dalton

• 304 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
Hi David,

We have found that many of the corruptions that we find in the XML files are related hidden characters that are introduced into a map through copy/paste from an HTML document, PDF or from Word.

Ultimately, if you want to repair your own XML files, this can be done through an XML or text editor, but this is not for the faint of heart. To access the XML file contained in an MMAP after a corruption, you would need to rename the .MMAP to .ZIP and then remove the Document.xml file that resides at the root of the file structure. One you have the XML file in an XML editor you can typically scan the document and validate the XML or go to the location that is specified when you opened the file in MindManager (i.e., "(128:2460) Illegal xml character") to find and fix the corrupted character(s). Once the XML file has been repaired and validated you can add it back to the .ZIP archive and then rename the file back to .MMAP to open in MindManager.

As I mentioned, this is not an easy process and it is not recommended which is why we typically request that the files be sent to us for repair.

I hope I have helped to shed a little bit of light on this topic.

Thanks,
Terry
Photo of Miele

Miele

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
See the following ticket too: https://community.mindjet.com/mindjet...
Photo of Yvan

Yvan

• 1 Post
  • 3 Reply Likes
I just had the same problem and symptoms (MM for Mac 9.6.510) and this kinda solved my issue and I think it's worth sharing.

I made the following steps and it resolved my issue:
1- Go to mindjet web interface: https://vision.mindjet.com
2- Upload the corrupted file in the cloud.
3- Open the file in the web interface. (This is where you pray that it will open)
4- (Optional?) I removed some weird characters that were saved in the map.
5- Save a local copy of the map to your desktop
6- Open the file in MindManager for Mac.

My main assumption is that there is something in MindManager for Mac that corrupts the file in the saving process in a way that MindManager for Mac cannot recover from but it can be opened and recovered by the web version.

For MM representatives:
File corruption is a serious issue and concern for me, especially when it comes to a software that is destined to aggregate tons of information in a single location. Has there been any bug fixes that are destined to resolve this issue?

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
Hi Yvan. Thank you for your post. Could you open a ticket with our support team. They will need to gather additional information to find out how the map got corrupted as well as obtain your appropriate contact information. Please use this link: https://secure.mindjet.com/support/co... to contact our support team. Thank you!
Photo of David Defourneaux

David Defourneaux

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks a million, Yvan. Your solution saved me today... and too bad I didn't know it before. Same as you, my "corrupted" map successfully opened with Mindjet Web, and some additional weird characters appeared in the map.
I suspect a problem with Dropbox.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.