Create depencies between rolled up tasks

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
Hello,
I have been trying to replace MS Project with MM2020. 

One thing I am not able to do is to create depencies between rolled up tasks. The idea behind this, is when I change a date on rolled up task 1, that everything that is connected (e.g. start-finish) behind task 1 automatically moves according to the change.

This is something that is very easy to do in MS Project. 

I hope this makes sense. I have tried searching for this feature, but cannot find it.
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • unsure if this is possible.

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1860 Posts
  • 322 Reply Likes
I assume you have the Ganttpro option enabled?
There - in the Gantt View - you can change the start date of the rolluptask and all others move along
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thank you for your reply and my apologies for my late one.  I assume you mean that I can drag the grouped tasks along and that the dates change accordingly. This is what I have been doing so far and it works oke.

I was not able to change dates for a rolled up task. I assume since they are summed from the different dates below the main task. 

• 1860 Posts
  • 322 Reply Likes
Again I assume you have Gantt pro?

there you don't drag but use the menu option to change the startdate see image

Roll up tasks get their info form the tasks below as you guessed.
(Edited)
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I don't think I have Gantt Pro, see the attached image. When I trie to do this I can the start and end date of the entire project and not sub parts.

• 1860 Posts
  • 322 Reply Likes
Again, no need to add dependancies in MindManager. This is even easier.

You can also change the date of the first task in the map view and the tasks that are dependant come along
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1256 Posts
  • 336 Reply Likes
Hi Simon, I assume you're trying to create dependencies between rolled up tasks which are branches in a map representing different sections or stages of a project.

As I tend to create dependencies between actual rather than rolled up tasks I haven't really explored this, but it seems you can't create dependencies between rolled up tasks, nor from a non-rolled up task to a rolled up one. This seems to be consistent with the fact that you can't directly edit the task info of a rolled up task.

You can however create a dependency the other way, from a rolled up task to a non-rolled up one, for example in another branch. This has the advantage that if any active task causes delays within say the first stage in a project this will be reflected in the rolled up task and consequently in the dependent one in the second stage; if you try to set the dependency from active task to active task you have to make assumptions about the sequence that might not be reflected in reality.

The really odd thing though is while the Gantt view will reflect any changes in date caused by a dependency from a rolled up to a non-rolled up task it won't show the relationship line, even though it is visible in the map. It will however show relationship lines between ordinary tasks (see below). I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's intended for some reason.

(Edited)
Photo of Simon

Simon

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Alex, thank you for your reply and apologies for my late one. Your assumption is correct. I try to combine a PBS with resource allocation and a planning. Perhaps a bit ambtious but I have good hopes it can work. At the very least it will teach me a lot about MM. 

The way you describe to make dependencies works just fine and can be a good alternative for what Project does. In my map per branch I have multiple rolled up sequences. Is my assumption correct that all tasks below a branch/rolled up task need too be dependent from each other for this to work?

You write: " if you try to set the dependency from active task to active task you have to make assumptions about the sequence that might not be reflected in reality." Can explain what you mean by this? If there is a task that is not connected it will not move accodingly (if my assumption here above is correct).

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1256 Posts
  • 336 Reply Likes
Hi Simon, no, tasks within a rolled up branch don't need to be dependent on each other for the roll up to work. The roll up calculates its start date from the earliest start date of the tasks and its end date from the last end date of the tasks. It also adds up the duration of all the rolled up tasks.

I realise I should have also explained myself a bit better. If you create dependencies between all the active tasks within a rolled up branch then you can create a dependency from the last task in the sequence to the first task under the next branch. This will work just as well as linking from the roll up task, and will roll back the start date of the next branch to reflect any delays in the completion date of the initial branch.

My point was that if you haven't created dependencies within the branch and you establish a dependency from an active task in this branch to the first active task in the next branch you will have to decide which one to link. Presumably this would be the task you assume will be the final one to be completed; if it runs over time the start date of the next branch will be adjusted automatically. 

If another task without dependencies within the branch becomes overdue, your "final" task won't reflect this change and so in turn the start date of the next branch won't be changed. However, the roll up for the first branch will still be adjusted; this is why it's safer to establish the relationship from the roll up task to the first active one in the next branch.
(Edited)
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 114 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Hi Simon,
dependencies between rolledup topics doesn't work, because of dependenciese forced topics to calculate start- and ending dates.
Rolled-up topics caluclate the start- and ending dates from their subtopics. 
You can connect the last subtopic of the first branch with the first topic of the next branch. That works
Best, Andreas