Customizable keyboard shortcuts

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
Hi there,

please implement customizable keyboard shortcuts.

Regards
Photo of Thorsten Preisegger

Thorsten Preisegger

• 21 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • anxious

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Thomas Kirven

Thomas Kirven

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi -

I would also like the ability to assign custom keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks,
T
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 129 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Six years have gone by and this still has not been implemented.   :(
Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
Yes, this would be great!
Photo of Cadu

Cadu

• 30 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
+1
There are lots of handy commands without shortcut, for instance:
- Filter "selected topic"
- Zoom "fit selection"
By using "customizable shortcuts" this drawback of missing shortcuts would be easily overcome. 
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1514 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
Hi there,

I assume you have explored ALL existing MindManager KeyBoard Shortcuts already?
You can find them all in your MIndManager Help dropdown menu.

There are so many that I never had the need for more, ( but then again, who am I ?)

http://onlinehelp.mindjet.com/help/MindManager/17_1/EN/mindmanager_help.htm
Photo of RA

RA

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Every professional software package on the planet allows for customization of hot keys- and most for fully customized menus and UI!

I see requests back to version 2012 from 2 years ago for this and it still hasn't been implemented? That is an eternity in software development time! 

I have multiple design packages I must work between every day and I have aliases for keystrokes and operations dating back to old MSDOS (E.g. MV for move) There are a slew of similar commands I use across multiple platforms (Like CTRL+L for link/group) as well.

If Mindjet's policy is to refuse customization - then just say it-, don't lead us on : )
Photo of Nigel Goult (Olympic & MIVAP)

Nigel Goult (Olympic & MIVAP)

• 352 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
RA,

I see nothing in the comment you linked to or any other statement that implies Mindjet "lead you on".

MindManager comes as a fully functional trial, available to review for 30 days before deciding to purchase so there is plenty of time to see if such a critical functionality is present or not. Just because an application does not have a customization that meets your needs does not mean anything and it especially does not mean that the vendor is "not listening" or "leading you on".

If the customization is that important then perhaps you need to lobby your IT department and get it to be more flexible to allow another application that can help deliver the critical functionality you require. :-)

Regards
Nigel
Photo of RA

RA

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
You don't understand the point. They said they were looking into it without affect- for more than 5+ years. Other than "We don't have plans to add custom keyboard shortcuts to our software" is also a perfectly reasonable response.

However,  saying it will be looked into and never resolved- that is misleading (Leading on). Wouldn't you agree? If you don't- we are all entitled to opinion and realities based on perception of available facts.

I have downloaded trials over the past 5-6 years hoping this issue would be resolved. Is why I haven't bought it and settled for less expensive solutions like xmind and freemind.

Being locked into someone else's mentality for how to use a software is like being forced to drive a right hand manual shift car in america. Possible- yes, painful- definitely.

Everyone agrees editable shortcuts are a must-have feature- and to minjets credit - people still lining up to pay top-dollar. *IF* mindjet can implement those features IN the software without add ons, then it can be considered for a much larger MSI distribution, until then we will just ping a license here or there.

Thanks- 
Ron

• 352 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
However,  saying it will be looked into and never resolved- that is misleading (Leading on). Wouldn't you agree?
No. It probably means it has been looked into and analyzed against the user need/effort and a decision was made that it is not worth the investment/time.

Now, if it had been stated "We will look into this and implement it in the next release", and then didn't, that would be leading you on.

I do find it interesting that you are so passionate about this issue but from what I can see are not actually a paying user. Or have I misinterpreted your last post?

have downloaded trials over the past 5-6 years hoping this issue would be resolved. Is why I haven't bought it and settled for less expensive solutions like xmind and freemind.
In fact, you say you have chosen other products over MindManager specifically because of this, or have I miss interpreted your post again?

I'm not sure I understand why you have such an issue with this. The application does not have customization that meets your needs. You can make an informed choice as to whether the benefits the application does offer outweighs this shortcoming or not. It sounds as though you have decided that they do not.

Regards
Nigel
Photo of RA

RA

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Nigel,

That is the point. implementation of a basic critical feature was requested, never implemented, and as a result - we bout licenses of another product. 

I like the integration and more robustness of mind jet (And the fact it integrates with my phone.) But without a friendly work environment it is difficult to justify a ~700% upcharge. 

This thread was founded for the request to implement user-definable keyboard shortcuts... so I was looking to see if it had been resolved. It hasn.t

• 352 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
Does the "other product" you purchased have this functionality?
Photo of RA

RA

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yup.

• 352 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
So what is the problem?
Photo of RA

RA

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Want this feature in Mindjet so I can justify purchase.

• 352 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
If your current product has the functionality you need why do you need to change it?

• 1514 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
Hi RA, Glad you informed us in your latest response WHY you want this customization.
You do have a specific need and MindManager does not support this one at this time.

I have no clue if Mindjet refuses to do this, or how they could lead us on.... but why not ask them via the normal support channels. 
This community is designed for users like you and me and to help each other whenever possible. Mindjet is monitoring it, so every now and then you will find responses from Mindjet employees.
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1036 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
Photo of RA

RA

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Nope- no add-ons. IT doesn't like odd-ball software packages on our systems. Needs to be done IN the software package just like everyone else : )

• 1514 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
Ooh that rigid standpoint of your IT department is a real pity since one of the strong points - features of MindManager is that it does allow for add-ins. And there are many very good one's like:

http://www.olympic-limited.co.uk/

http://www.mindlogik.com/

http://www.harportconsulting.com/

and many more.

You may consider to investigate them and try to convince your IT colleagues to make an exception. I even think that the add-in develeopers would love to assist you with that.
Photo of RA

RA

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Ugh... Gotta love it - paying a premium price for a Mind Manager, then having to pay a super high premium price for 'addons'... They addons look OK- just not worth another $90 for harport or $300-$500 for Olympic... 

I can kudo you on the Word doc export though - that one aspect works better than XMind.
(Edited)
Photo of RA

RA

• 8 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
@ary Velstra - Because this is the ONLY site mindjet posts users to for support. It is a premium package - missing some critical premium features.

• 1514 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
Hi RA,

There are some other options to get support:

You could go to www.mindjet.com and scroll down to the black part at the bottom.

There you see support. Click on Overview. It requests you to tell what area you are working from and then you get to the Support pages.

There you find Technical and sales support and the download area etc etc.

• 1514 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
An other way to get support is to contact your reseller.

Most MindManager resellers have lot's of knowledge and you may find that they are eager to help you and your IT dept to get the most out of the software. They may even have a faster way of working for you with regard to your need to work as fast as you can with the use of keyboard shortcuts etc.

The best one's are found here, http://www.mivap.org/  you will recognize some of them.

And there may be many more.

So try your own reseller first (if they have not enough knowledge, do contact the other one's)
Photo of Alexander Cyberman

Alexander Cyberman

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It's been 5 years since this idea feedback was voiced here. MindManager was developed in the mid-1990s Thus, for 25 years, developers have not managed to take care of the ability for users to customize their hot keys! Moreover, there are no hotkeys for many actions at all.
And even more - I have the latest MM (19.0.306) and face so many different bugs, so this seems to me that Mindjet does not even have a team of testers. And this is a $500 product!

• 1514 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
If you paid 500 dollar someone overcharged you dramatically. Even if the VAT in your country is about 65%

• 1514 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
I have been a MindManager users since the years you mention.
But although I understand that one might need - or want - to use keyboard shortcuts. I have never felt the need to go beyond what is offered in the standard product.
Photo of Ron E. Allen

Ron E. Allen

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Update- X mind exports surpass mind jets- and at the $99 for the compiled cost, the added features and flexibility- Now with the Xmind smart phone interface- it is a no-brainer. All the functionality and more; relatively stable, we have begin promoting the switch for a few hundred folks over to Xmind.

• 1514 Posts
  • 226 Reply Likes
Funny We are now (for a client who moved to MindManager) importing thousands of Xmind maps into MindManager 2019.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1025 Posts
  • 250 Reply Likes
I’ve had a look from time to time at MindManager’s competitors and yes, many have some features that I’d like to see in MindManager. I’ll also concede that MM’s cross-platform capability is patchy to say the best and that for casual users or those on a budget other options may be better.

However these competing programs lack many of the features that MM has and which Mindjet/Corel continues to evolve. I don’t see anything for example as powerful as MM’s combination of SmartRules and formulas in these programs. MM’s API also provides a fertile environment for the development of a rich collection of add-ins from third parties, including the wonderful MAP, which further expand MM’s capabilities.

No program in any software category is going to be perfect and competitors will always develop their own special features. Yes, we should lobby the creators of our favourite programs to add the features we like, and indeed since purchasing MindManager Corel seems to be listening to its users and is adding new functionality.

Ultimately however you have to make choices between the bundles of features on offer from these competing programs. If customisable keyboard shortcuts is more important than, say, SmartRules, then you should select accordingly. I suspect my priorities may be somewhat different to yours.
(Edited)
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 129 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Going back to the original topic of this thread... is there any appetite amongst us users for customisable keyboard shortcuts?

And is there any likelihood of Mindjet implementing such a thing?

My personal take is that although MM2019 does has a vast number of shortcuts - too many for all but the most dedicated user to learn - there are also 1 or 2 obvious omissions.  Moreover it would be good to use the (albeit unwritten) standard ways of doing things that have now evolved in other graphics-heavy applications... or at least allow some of us to configure our MM2019 installations accordingly, so as to cut down our learning curves.

e.g. I personally would dearly love to have a way of moving topics around the screen faster by using the arrow keys plus modifier keys.  For example Control+Arrow or Shift+Arrow, might move the topic at say 4 or 10 times the speed that using simple arrow keys does...