Disconnecting duration from start/due dates

• Question
  • Updated 8 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: not current

I'm new to MM 2012 (just upgraded from very old version). I'm trying to set duration of tasks that someone could work on for a week, but the total task duration will only take a few hours. For example, I have someone going to a training course. It's 2.5 hours a day for a week. But when I set the start date as Monday and the due date as Friday, the duration automatically changes to 40 hours. I want it to be 12.5 hours spread over the span of those days. How do I do this? I want to show this resource as available for the other 5.5 hours a day so I can assign other tasks.
Photo of Candyce

Candyce

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 8 years ago

Photo of Brittney Mazzetta

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 69 Reply Likes
You would need to create a new task for each day. You can set the task to 2.5 hours a day for training and then leave the other 5.5 hours open for other tasks. You would have to do this for each day of the week in order to ensure that your resources do not appear to be booked for the entire duration of the work week. I hope that this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thank you.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
The ability to have a duration that was not tied automatically to the difference between start and due dates was one of the great features of MM up until version 8. It was lost when Mindjet integrated the Gantt view, probably because it is hard to show a duration less than the difference between start and due dates, or an intermittent duration, in a Gantt chart. It would be wonderful if Mindjet could fix this.
Photo of Candyce

Candyce

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'd be shocked to think that Brittney's work-around suggestion would be acceptable for most project managers. I don't know of many projects where key team members are assigned to one single task all day. In most cases, they work on something for a few hours and then go to a meeting, assist on another aspect of the project, or work on another related task.

For me, the Gantt view is there to show the span of time, not the specific number of hours worked on a given item.

I'd like to see Mindjet allow users to disconnect duration from the start/end dates so we can better control staff utilization.
Photo of Candyce

Candyce

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Also, it would make the project map a mess to have 5 separate tasks for each task that takes more than one day to complete, but not 8 hours a day.
Photo of Ryan Rudnitsky

Ryan Rudnitsky

• 20 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Some of the in-depth project functionality (leveling task durations, splitting resources, etc) is not yet available. Product Management is well aware of these limitations and are planning to make enhancements in Project Management in the next MindManager release.

One work-around is to create a map in MindManager and assign tasks and resources accordingly. Next, choose a type of "marker" to help you locate the task in which need leveling. I recommend a *. Then export the entire project into Microsoft Project. When the export completes, locate the tasks that have an * and use the robust capabilities of Microsoft Project to accomplish some of these tasks.

MindManager will save the step of copying the information into MS Project and keep the structural integrity of the project.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.