Do any plugins for MM17 exist that allow us to create and save more powerful filters?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Hello 

Do any plugins / extensitions exist for MindManager17 that allow us to create and save more powerful filters for mindmaps?

MindManager's filters seem pretty basic:
A) They only allow us to create and save filters either using logical "OR" conditions or logical "AND" conditions, they do not allow both to be applied at once in the same filter.
B) Nor are NOT conditions are not possible 
C) Nor are logical brackets possible 
D) Also the names of saved filters can not be moved with respect to each other on the list of saved filters. And there is no easy way to apply filters, one after another in rapid succession e.g. by using a single mouse-click... 

Although ResultsManager does allow extremely powerful filtering, the results are in a "flat" external list which has lost the hierarchical information - unless you click on the link back to the original mindmap - but this gets a bit messy...

So I want to find a way to see the mindmaps, complete with all the layers of hierarchy, but filtered in a more sophisticated way than MM17 permits.

Does such a thing exist

Cheers

Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 97 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1327 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
Just a suggestion.... could you please check out the standard available features functions and benefits of MM2017 yourself?
It may take a few minutes of your precious time, but at least you would have found the TopicData Formulas under the Advanced tab.

You will discover that your ....

A) They only allow us to create and save filters either using logical "OR" conditions or logical "AND" conditions, they do not allow both to be applied at once in the same filter.
B) Nor are NOT conditions are not possible 
C) Nor are logical brackets possible

.... may be available after all .;-)
(Edited)
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 98 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Sorry, I'm just not with you.

From what I can see, 
      Advanced tab ==> Topic data ==> Formulas
simply allows us to add data and make it flow from topic to topic, much like how a spreadsheet works.

What I am trying to actually filter the mindmap based on logic that uses the value of Elements on topics to decide whether or not the topics themselves are visible.  I may well be missing something but I can't see how Formulas could be used to filter a mindmap.
Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
To my knowledge there are no add-ins that extend the filtering functions in MindManager.

Also, if there were add-ins that would be using the standard object model filtering, these add-ins would run into to same limitations as the filtering is limited in the object model.

Advanced filtering via an add-in should be possible, but this would require an add-in that would process all the topics in the map and then for each topic mark the topic as filtered or not filtered.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1327 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
Well....Mindjet MindManager seems to be not for you.

Maybe Freemind can do what you want and if not you can program it yourself since it is open source.
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 98 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I fear this is the end of the road for me. I don't think I can use MM for the GTD method.

May I just say that given the power of MM2017 in so many other areas, I find MM's filtering abilities to be extremely disappointing. 

It's such a shame because all I need is more powerful filtering and better control of saved filters. It seems so little to ask!  And I don't think I can live with ResultsManager's ignoring of the order of topics it is reporting on either.

So near yet so far.

Before I go, is there anywhere to submit product enhancement requests?
Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1036 Posts
  • 178 Reply Likes
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 98 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
It's been a couple of years. Have there been any significant improvements to with MindManager (or ResultsManager) during this time?
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 879 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Nothing much has changed with respect to filters (apart from the introduction of Smart Fade) but conditional formatting was added in MM2018. This allows users to set rules to change some topic formatting attributes such as fill and line colour, font colour, bolding etc on the basis of a wide range of “triggers” which are similar (but not identical) to the criteria available in power filters.

Each rule can have multiple triggers and significantly you can choose between AND and OR in applying these triggers. You can also have NOT triggers such as “does not contain”. The rules can be saved and can also be turned on and off individually, so you can apply a cascading set of rules to a map. These rules change aspects of topic appearance rather than filter the map but if you use fill colour as the effect applied you can then apply a simple filter based on topic colour.

I’ve described these processes and the relationship to filtering in the following article: https://sociamind.com/2018/05/02/mind...

Obviously there are still limitations; for example, there is no bracketing. However, you can set up simple “If Then Else” scenarios by setting up cascading rules in the right order.
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 98 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks, Alex.  So some progress...  but basically disappointing from my point of view.  TBH, I don't want to change formatting I want to change filtering of what appears on screen. I find it strange that after all this time, for such an otherwise extremely powerful application that they still have such weak filtering. 

Do you think that there would be much demand for what I seek from other users? 

J
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 879 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Sorry, I can't answer your question regarding demand, though I have suggested in this forum previously that Mindjet look at applying the conditional formatting rules-based model to filtering.

The approach I described in my post works better than my explanation may have conveyed; in fact in retesting it I have found that if you use a conditional formatting rule as a basis for a filter using fill colour you can then turn off the rule but leave the filter in place, so the map will remain filtered but the topics will return to their original fill colour.
(Edited)