Does MM 2019 have the ability to print low resolution draft map?

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
Does MM 2019 have the ability to print low resolution draft maps? I would like to reduce the size of the file sent to the printer/plotter via a low resolution request. Does MM 2019 have the capability to modify print quality on the fly?
Photo of Philip Stipcevich

Philip Stipcevich

• 33 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1627 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
That is something you can do at printer level
You can select the printer of your choice and change the settings of the printer.
Photo of Philip Stipcevich

Philip Stipcevich

• 33 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Unfortunately he plotter does not have that ability.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1085 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes

Do you know then if the plotter can handle lower-resolution files? In other words, have you been able to do this from other programs?

If so, then one option is to use a virtual image printer driver to "print" the MindManager file to a large graphics file, for example a JPG, and then print from that. In most of these you can control both the image size and DPI in the print dialogue.

I use ImagePrinter Pro to create and print higher res images up to A3, but you can go to larger size images at lower resolutions.

I was able to create an image of a map to A1 size (in theory ImagePrinter Pro goes to A0, but in practice for some reason it refuses to create anything bigger than A1). This resulted in a 9MB file at 300DPI.

I have no idea how this would have looked like, or if the file outputted to the printer is smaller than the one sent direct from MM, but it might be worth looking at.
Photo of Sia Banihashemi

Sia Banihashemi, Official Rep

• 143 Posts
  • 35 Reply Likes
Hi Phillip, 

Another option is to use the Export Image function which will allow you to define the size of the image. Just input the desired lower resolution size, then print the image.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1084 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
True, but virtual image printer drivers give you more control over image size and resolutions, plus a greater variety of image formats to convert to.