Encryption and password protection does not work

• Problem
  • Updated 10 months ago
Password protection does not work. 
To reproduce the issue simple protect by entering a password for editing and not read.
Then close MM and open the file, you are prompted to enter password for editing or you can choose read only. Instead you simply enter cancel and it will open the mindmap with full access rights. Even if you enter password for both editing and read you can simply choose cancel and it will open the file with full access. 
Photo of roan

roan

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1111 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
I can't get the map to open if it's password protected using the method you describe. I can get it to open as an editable map even if both opening and editing are password protected by cancelling out of the editing password - but only if the editing password is the same as the one to open the map. If they are different and I cancel, the map opens in read only mode.

Actually "read only" is a little deceptive. I don't normally use password protection but what I discovered is that you can make changes to a read-only map, but these won't be saved when the map is saved - and when you next open the file the original unedited map will appear.

If I'm right there are two messages out of this:

1. Mindjet should advise people that they need to choose different passwords for opening a map and editing it.

2. They should also remind people that while a map can be changed in read-only mode, these changes won't be saved when the map is saved.
Photo of roan

roan

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have now tried on 3 different pc:s with same results. As soon as choose cancel it will open and I can edit and save. In the video I created I am trying to only protect my minmap from being edited. This is my real case at work were I am trying to implement MM as the main daily tool.
Link to video: http://www.seglingen.se/mm/mmencrypt.mp4

I think it is strange that you cannot reproduce....
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

This seems to be a bug. I can reproduce your issue.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1111 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
Apologies - I misunderstood your first email. I can reproduce the behaviour as shown in your video and I definitely think this is a bug. I suggest you raise a ticket with Mindjet support regarding this.
Photo of roan

roan

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No problem. I have made a ticket.

Thanks,