export map using my own Word template

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
I want to export a map to a Word outline, using my own Word template. Does anyone know how?
Photo of David Prawel

David Prawel

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes

When you export a map to Word the Microsoft Word Export Settings appears. This has a Word Template tab; click on this and then on the arrow in the Word template field to access user templates.

If you want more control over the process have a look at the WordX add-in from Olympic Ltd. This not only gives you access to user-defined templates but also allows you to apply specific styles to individual topics or groups of topics irrespective of their position in the map hierarchy.

Photo of Werner Beck

Werner Beck

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
In MM 2018, is that behavior still as Alex describes here? I can't find a way to choose a custom template and I don't know where the standard template lives so I'd be able to customize that.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1614 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
Yes it is exactly as Alex describes.
Ofcourse If you have never made a MSWord custom template of your own (you do that in MSWord and you save them in the location you define), MindManager will have nothing to find for you.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
Yes, as Ary indicates, you have to create the custom template in Word. You can turn any Word docx file into a template; if you are not sure how to do this consult the help documentation in Word.
(Edited)
Photo of Werner Beck

Werner Beck

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I have created a custom template. However, my MM installation doesn't offer the choice of loading such a custom template. Does it have to be stored in a defined location so MM will find it?
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
Hi Werner,

If you initiate an export to Word from MM you should get a dialogue box for Microsoft Word Export Settings. If you click on the Word Template tab the first field offers you a choice between User Templates and Built-in Templates, as shown below:

If you select User Template you will be taken to the default Word folder for such templates, which is usually something like C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates. Make a note of the folder name and path or copy it, then close the dialogue box.

Then return to Word and save your template in the same folder. You can now go to MindManager and start the export process; the Word template you created should now be available.

(Edited)
Photo of Werner Beck

Werner Beck

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
You see a selection box that I don't get to see:

What could be the reason for that little difference?
My MM version is 18.2.102, dated 2018-03-15.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes

That's very interesting - and obviously very annoying for you. Now I can see why you were having such difficulties!

I think you should put in a support request to Mindjet/Corel as this is a definite bug. You could also look to see if the latest MM 2018 version available for download is more recent than yours and if so if the problem has been resolved (it's not mentioned in the update notes, but nonetheless it may have been fixed).

The latest MM 2018 version on the Mindjet website Is listed as 18.0.284 which on paper makes it older than yours, but I suspect this could be a typo and it could be 18.2.284 - though don't take my word for it!

As a temporary fix you could find and save your current Word template, which should be something like Normal.dotx, under another name and then save your customised template as Normal.dotx. MM should then find it. When you have finished you could delete the temporary template file or give it another name, then save the "real" normal template under its original name.

Good luck with it!
Photo of Janosch

Janosch

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
It is not a bug. You can select a custom word template if you export the whole map (menu file - export - MS word). the screenshot above show the dialogue when you click Send topic to - MS Word in the topic context menu.
Photo of Werner Beck

Werner Beck

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks a lot, Janosch - I hadn't been aware of that little difference. I'll try that out, and I hope that the most recent template setting for "export map" will then "stick" for the next "export branch" action.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
Thanks Janosch - and well-spotted!

You learn something new every day. In all my time of using MindManager I had never noticed the difference between the whole-map and the context dialogue boxes for exporting to Word.
Photo of Bean Smith

Bean Smith

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the information.