Export or publish including linked files?

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
Prior versions allowed me to publish a map to a webpage and automatically collected all linked files into a files sub folder and put on the destination site with all links working.  MM18 appears not to have this functionality ... or am I doing something wrong.
Photo of BVasily

BVasily

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1381 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
The new publish function takes care of it.
You publish a map including links and send the URL to your audience.

or
You embed the published map in your site. The links should work (they do with my maps ;-)

• 1381 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
The second part of your question... " and automatically collected all linked files into a files sub folder and put on the destination site with all links working.."

Are those files linked or are they attachments?
Photo of BVasily

BVasily

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
they are links not attachments.  Attachments bloat the file and make it quite slow.
I have used the publish function and all links are broke.  Previous version published and collected linked files into a sub-folder and made the links relative to this file.  This no longer seems to be the case.

• 1381 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
Yes Attachments bloat the file.

Wich previous version published and collected linked files into a sub-folder and made the links relative to this file?

Maybe you are referring to Pack and Go, but I don't recall it also places the files you are linking to in a sub folder on your HD

The publish function I refer to is new to MM2018 so it was not available in earlier releases.

• 1381 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
I just found a 30 minute webinar- recording- that shows and tells what publishing is all about

https://www.mindjet.com/webinar/share-present-single-source-mindmanager-emea/
Photo of BVasily

BVasily

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I watched the webinar but the one topic I was interested in was glossed over ... how to publish maps with linked files.  I have tried a couple of ways and each time the published map states links were broken.
Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Bob, I'm guessing your referring to this functionality which was called 'Save As Web Pages'?

Which would generate a bunch of (HTML) files and directories, one of them named LinkedDocuments which included all your linked content?

Photo of BVasily

BVasily

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Yes.  I used this frequently previously.  I agree with Ary however, if I can get the publish to work correctly it is a nice feature.

• 1381 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
So we keep on guessing what Bob really wants / needs?

Save as web pages is still there, Just switch it on in File Options Add-ins and take care you don not have too many export options open, since it may not appear in your export options  list
Photo of BVasily

BVasily

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Added back the save as webpages.  Short term solution is to use this on our own server.  Still like the publish feature but as per my comment below, can't seem to make work with linked files.

• 1381 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
Rumours are though, that MindManager developers believe the Publsih function is so much better and so elegant that they may remove the web export. (the web export has some flaws, I must admit)

I would not vote for that, since both functions are used for a complete different purpose

• 1381 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
The issue still remains that Bob cannot do a publish with working links.

It works fine with me so I cannot reproduce the issue
Photo of BVasily

BVasily

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have unpublished the map, used pack and Go to zip the map and all linked files and moved these to a separate directory.  After unpacking I note all the links have changed and point to correct files that were collected into the pack and go zip.  Map works with links.  Then I used publish feature and went to the published map using a Chrome browser.  The map and notes are all working but non of the links work.  Chrome reports a 404 file not found error.

The associated files are 77 MB in size and the publish is far to fast to have uploaded these files.  

• 1381 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
Since I cannot reproduce the behaviour you see, (although I use Firefox rather than Chrome ;)

I suggest to  contact support. My suggestion would be to go to Mindjet Support directly.
To set this up, please contact customer.support@mindjet.com use your free mindjet ID or make one if it is not there yet and tell them the problem.
They are happy and eager to assiste you best.
Photo of BVasily

BVasily

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks Ary.  I have an email into them now.
Photo of BVasily

BVasily

• 13 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Here is the answer from Tech Support ...

The publish feature would work differently than the web exporter. Unfortunately links to local files would not work on the HTML 5 canvas. As a work around, I would suggest using a service like Box, Dropbox, or Google Drive to store your files there. Then you can link these files to your map.This will allow users to click the link to download the files from your map as long as you provided the file to be downloaded by anyone who uses the link.