Export selected tasks to Excel and Word

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
I'm trying to find a way to export selected tasks to excel and word that doesn't include descendants. If I use filters to hide descendants, then calculated properties of the tasks for export no longer contain data.

Photo of Richard Arthur

Richard Arthur

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Detlef Huß

Detlef Huß

• 29 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Hi Richard,

I've given it a trial, with export to Word. I understand that data being exported are dependent on the current view, incl. a potential filter. Hence, if you hide something via a PowerFilter, properties don't exist for the formular.

As a workaround you may collapse the descending levels. This still includes the properties.

Photo of Richard Arthur

Richard Arthur

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
But collapsed descendants are included in the export, which is what I am trying to avoid - but thanks.
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 605 Posts
  • 248 Reply Likes
Good question. It seems that the issue is that formulas observe filtering by default, while task and cost rollups ignore filtering by default. 

You can turn off the recalculation of properties when topics are filtered in File > Options > Filter > "New files recalculate formulas when topics are hidden by filters". However this seems to apply only to new maps and cannot be changed in existing maps, so you would need to recreate your map with this option disabled to allow calculated properties to be independent of filtering. Hopefully this will be a dynamic option in a future release. This should retain calculated property values when exporting a filtered set of topics.
Photo of Sia

Sia, Official Rep

• 275 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
This sounds like a defect.
Photo of Richard Arthur

Richard Arthur

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Good to know, thank you. I can see cases for both and a shame it can't be switched on-the-fly.

Map roll-up goes some way to offer a solution, selecting topic only retains the properties formula results. The downside is you can only copy one topic at a time - rather tedious on a large map.
There also appears to be a bug in Map roll-up in that if you select Refresh All Map Roll-ups in Map, it does refresh, but appends all the descendants too! Refresh Selected Map Roll-ups works as expected.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 354 Reply Likes
I was wondering if fading filtered out topics rather than hiding them would provide a solution, but no unfortunately it doesn't. The recalculation of topic properties on the parent topic does incorporate subtopic properties when the subtopics are faded, as opposed to when they are hidden entirely. Unlike subtopics hidden by filters, however, those which are faded are included in the export to Word and there seems to be no way around this. 

Photo of Sia

Sia, Official Rep

• 275 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
Hi Richard, your report sounds like a defect. We will investigate.
Photo of Francis Procaccia

Francis Procaccia, Employee

• 14 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
If you go to Map settings by right clicking the map tab, you can uncheck "recalculate formulas when topics are hidden by filters". You can also go to MindManager options, Select filter and uncheck "recalculate formulas when topics are hidden by filters", that will set up that option as default for all new maps.
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1264 Posts
  • 340 Reply Likes
Thanks for pointing this out. I didn't realise that you could access and change map properties including formula and smartrule recalculation behaviour in existing maps simply by right clicking on the map tab. 

What's also great is that the changes in these settings are applied directly even if the map is already filtered, so you can turn recalculation on and off to see what happens to displayed topics.