Export from Outlook 2010 problems

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Hello,

somehow the export of mails or folders from the MindManager commands on the addins ribbon in Outlook 2010 will not work.
The system ist just "struggling" and then empty entries eappear in the MindManager map.

The export was working with all the other MM versions I hat before.

Or is it a problem that I still use the trial edition.
But somehow this error hinders me to buy the new version.

Please help.
Thx!
-Adrian
Photo of Suriel Lopez

Suriel Lopez

• 298 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Suriel Lopez

Suriel Lopez

• 298 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Re: Export from Outlook 2010 problems
I would recommend running a repair on both MindManager and Outlook. If the issue persists, you can try uninstalling MindManager, running a repair on MindManager and Office and then reinstalling MindManager.
Photo of Suriel Lopez

Suriel Lopez

• 298 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
A am also having problems exporting from Outlook 2010. Nothing exports, I get a message telling me to restart both applications and try again. This alert is immediately followed by an alert stating Invalid Object or Object has left

I am running a 64bit versions of windows and Office 2010.
I have tried repairing and then reinstalling MJ2012 with no luck
I also have Mindjet 9 installed on the same PC and the Outlook 2010 exports work fine. So that should rule out any issues working with Outlook 2010 or 64bit version issues

What am I doing wrong?
Photo of Suriel Lopez

Suriel Lopez

• 298 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
OK I contacted MJ directly. Apparently the fact that MJ9 works fine with 64bit versions of Windows7 and Office 2010 is a fluke. It was not supported it just works. With MJ 2012 that fluke was removed and the outlook functions I need no longer work. Didn't sound like the feature will be available anytime soon. Back to MJ 9 unless I can find a manual workaround. Or someone else can find a workaround and share.

To be fair MJ never stated they supported 64bit versions of anything, I just expected since it worked with the previous version, that capability would not ber removed from a product update whether it was supported or not. Still like the product overall.
Photo of Suriel Lopez

Suriel Lopez

• 298 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
That's a disgrace. They should have addressed Outlook 64bit integration in MM 2012.

The last 2 releases have been about acquisition and integration of partners products, I wonder what kind of innovation capacity MM is left with.

edit-
I just noticed that the whole integration with Excel 64-bit is broken as well
Photo of Suriel Lopez

Suriel Lopez

• 298 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Please see some further information regarding 32 vs. 64 bit versions from our MindManager Product Manager here at Mindjet:

When we started our project, Microsoft was encouraging users to stay on 32-bit versions of Office. "We strongly recommend most users install 32-bit version of Office 2010 on both 32 and 64-bit operating systems because currently many common add-ins for Office will not function in the 64-bit edition," Microsoft warns.

This situation isn’t unique to Mindjet. Even some of Microsoft's own Office plugins weren’t compatible with the 64-bit software, including the Outlook Social Connector, which hooks the software into social networks such as Facebook. Other third party plugins from LinkedIn and Symantec were also 32-bit only.

Since our decision to only support 32-bit versions of Office, the technology landscape may have shifted and we’ll investigate this issue again as we kickoff our next MindManager project.
Photo of wk

wk

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I doubt that I can get anyone from Microsoft confirming this warning.
Other third-party applications just work nicely with 64-Bit Win/Office.
I have tried to get a commitment for 64-bit since version 9 (back in 2010) - without success:

Even if that all is true customer most likely would appreciate a clear warning of the integration limitation of the product before they buy and waste time on problems.

If anyone from MM reads this please clearly advise on the availability of a flawless integration with 64-bit 2010.

I am a customer since 2000 - but rethinking ...

Thanks
Photo of Dirk Wolf

Dirk Wolf

• 5 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I am also moving away from Mindjet because of integration problems with Office 2010. I am also disappointed in Mindjet management for not addressing this problem. As of today I am installing software to replace Mindjet.
Photo of David Pickrell

David Pickrell

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Dirk what mind mapping software are you installing. This lack of integration with 64bit office is a major issue for me. that causes a lot of additional work.
Photo of jerry.mings

jerry.mings

• 135 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Kicking off another project is not helpful.

I need a solution now!
Photo of Dirk Wolf

Dirk Wolf

• 5 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I totally agree! Sloppy work from Mindjet management!
Photo of Michael Deutch

Michael Deutch, Official Rep

• 438 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Jerry and WK,

Thank you both for your input, I understand your frustration. Unfortunately, there is no quick solution and we cannot make forward statements or commitments on our product road map.

Wk, the technote from Microsoft quoted above is here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/li...

It looks like they updated the thread as of November '11.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience. We'll continue to evaluate this issue.
Photo of Anders

Anders

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Advocating Mindmanager as a great tool for our consultant company looks like it’s going to fail badly before it even started.

I purchased an upgrade to 2012 this Friday, planning to prepare a demo over the weekend BUT instead I end up troubleshooting integration with Excel, Outlook, spending time on restarting, repairing and reinstalling ALL involved products including Mindmanager rather than being PRODUCTIVE.

I realise from this forum that I cannot integrate as we are all running up to date 64bit versions of our software. Downgrading is not an option.

Did not think that it would come to this but I have just cancelled my demo meeting.

Can you help me? I personally like using Mindmangager but currently see not other way forward than to refunding my uppgrade and instead looking for alternative software.
Photo of jerry.mings

jerry.mings

• 135 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
You are not alone.

There are a wide number of items that are promoted as working well that simply do not work well. Furthermore, if you have MAC users, they will complain the software does not do the same things as the Windows software.

I have personally embarassed by the number of times I have referred the software to clients only to have them call me back extremely upset that "promoted features do not work as promoted".

In a nutshell, Version 2012 does not deliver as promised. Somewhere between concept and delivery, the ball has been dropped.

I've stopped promoting the software to clients. Instead, I only use what I know will work well and I stick to that.

As a long time user, I've lost confidence that core program issues will be addressed in a timely manner.

Hopefully, Mindjet will take the necessary steps to follow a true software quality control process and clean up ther program to operate as promised.

In the meantime, I can feel your pain. Been there, done that and I don't do live demos etc with clients. It simply too embarrasing!

Jerry
Photo of jerry.mings

jerry.mings

• 135 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
One last note, we have a firm in Canada that appears to be on a simliar path I'm seeing and feeling with Mindjet. It is currently called RIM!
Photo of Michael Deutch

• 438 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Anders, I apologize for any frustration that you experienced and appreciate your honest feedback. I'm going to let my colleagues in the marketing team know of your frustration.

Jerry - can you please elaborate on what was promoted but doesn't work well? You mentioned that you stick to certain features but not others. Which ones are you avoiding? Thanks again for your feedback, we're listening.
Photo of jerry.mings

jerry.mings

• 135 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Thanks for your note.

To be specific.

1. Explorting and importing from Outlook requires an Exchange server Acccount or an POP Account. It does not use IMAP and does not work with Outlook 64 Bit. This is a very serious short coming given the program was promoted to work with Outlook. How this error was missed upon release is a concern. IMAP is mission critical and it's use is much more present with the presence of Tablets, etc.

The result, clients cannot it to work consistently with Outlook. Or they find out the hard way, what works or does not work with Outlook.

2. Significant complaints about customer service. To the point, my clients have stopped calling. The find the experience very discouraging. The service fails to answer questions on why features of the program don't work. Most recently, the program would not save maps for a key client. In the end, the client gave up and moved to another program. All they wanted to was save the map! After some investigation on my part, I think I narrowed down the root of the problem. I'm still trying to figure out why tech support failed to work with the client.

3. Power Point export was upgraded. Yet it remains a mystery for clients to make it work. Clients what to get the slides into their power point decks. While this may appear to be simple from a Mindjet perspective, my clients find it really frustrating!

And the list goes on.

This is a great program. I use it often. I've just stopped promoting to clients until I see the following;

a) when something is released, it works. Period. Not some of the time, all of the time. I want clients to experience the full benefits of the intgeration features without worring that this is on windows and not on Mac or only if Outlooks is set up this way etc.

b) when I hear better stories about the customer service area. I am embarrased when client states in large group presentation, "Nice program terrible customer support". This is emerging as a constant theme (five out of the last eigth engagements), I get really concerned. It's important to remember, not everyone is a computer techy with lots of computer experience. People ask good questions becuase they want to get the program to work. Nothing turns a client or customer off a computer program faster than bad customer service.

So, I hope that is helpful.

Need more, contact me off line.

Thanks for inquiry.
Photo of Fredrik Folkeryd

Fredrik Folkeryd

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just started with a new company and was delighted to find MindManager 2012 which quickly turned into frustration and wasted time to figure out why the Outlook integration wasn 't working - answer was the 64-bit Office on Windows 7. Too bad - now I have to make do with OneNote for GTD and it's not nearly as useful. Why is this limitation not clearly covered in the MindManager setup?
Photo of Anders

Anders

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Over five months has passed since this problem was first reported. It has been interesting but sad to follow the progress .

* It is clear that it is not possible to integrate with office 64-bit

* The technical requirements are still not updated, it states “32 bit Microsoft Office RECOMMENDED (for "Send to MindManager" functionality)” but should say 32-bit REQUIRED.

* no plan communicated on when this problem will be solved

We are now looking at Windows 8. It would be great and creative to map on slate/tablet, but how many people do you suppose install 32-bit Outlook or Project?

So, when will the integration be in place?

If nothing else can you at least make it CLEAR to new customers that you don’t support 64-bit integration so that there is no more time wasted on futile troubleshooting and re-installation.

Kindly
Anders Björkman
Photo of Michael Deutch

• 438 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Hey everyone, I'm afraid that I wasn't notified on the date that our website was updated but I'm here to share that we've updated the technical requirements on our product page to be more explicit about how MindManager 2012 does not currently support Office 64-bit applications.
Photo of jerry.mings

jerry.mings

• 135 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Thanks for this update.

I must confess, in the time that is has taken to update the product page coupled with the time from the original notification of the problem, I can't believe a solution was not sought and implemented.

64 bit software is coming fast. To think that a product cannot talk to Outlook 64 bit is really problematic.

I would strongly suggest a solution be found.

I sorry to say, Mindjet is looking more and more link RIM. Failing to listen to its customers and the market until it is way, way too late.

Please, fix the problem!
Photo of Michael Deutch

• 438 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Hi Jerry,

Thank you for your input and I apologize for your frustration. The project to update MIndManager for integration with Office 64bit is a major undertaking. The number of requests for integration has been historically very, very low. The majority of our customers are on earlier versions of Office. We do have an existing request in the forum for this (http://community.mindjet.com/mindjet/...) which has received 9 votes so far. This is high on my priority list though for our roadmap.

Thanks,
Michael
Photo of jerry.mings

jerry.mings

• 135 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Thanks for your response.

I still think you are missing the mark. If you are using votes from a discussion board to identify which features to follow up on, then I would say the overall product development is moving way too slow for the market. Innovation, creativity and support are critical moving forward in a changing economy.

The rational outlined above was to the letter the same rational I heard from RIM. They too said "there is just not enough demand for the issues (phone browser) to warrant immediate follow up. They would get it around to it. As time has revealed, today RIM is tatters and trying to rethink its future.

Software has to draw people in because it meets the emerging needs of clients. Not because it may get fixed at a future time. Importance to business stability will always outrank frequency of "hits on a discussion board".

I still think your the team a Mindjet need to step back ask some tough questions.

After all, if you can't provide product now, someone else will. And when your clients find solutions that work somewhere else they will and leave. And once they are gone, you will find it tough to get them back.

Time to move one, I think this thread has had it's day.

Good luck to you and your team with the project.

And on that note, I give up.
Photo of Michael Deutch

• 438 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Jerry,
This is one of several sources of input for our product process, not the only source (e.g. customer visits, surveys, usability studies, partners like Microsoft, channel partners, sales teams, market research, etc....). The overwhelming majority of MindManager users have not yet moved to office 64-bit. That being said, it is becoming more prevalent now and we're prioritizing it accordingly. I apologize that the speed of updates is not as fast as you would like to see. If you choose to move on to other solutions, I wish you the best. If you decide to stay with us, we can connect via phone to discuss further if you'd like. I value your input.

Best,
Michael
Photo of Brian Morse

Brian Morse

• 35 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
The overwhelming majority don't want to get caught with a loss of functionality. That's why they use older software. Get 64bit functionality going and they will leap on the opportunity to upgrade. It's that simple. Don't hide, dodge, or run from the issue. Make it happen. Please.
Photo of jerry.mings

jerry.mings

• 135 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Agreed. Move to make it possible to use 64 bit software. Mindjet must be able talk to 32 bit and 64 bit with ease. Clients need it to make the product as effective as possible.
Photo of Dirk Wolf

Dirk Wolf

• 5 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I am done with Mindjet.
Photo of jerry.mings

jerry.mings

• 135 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Wow, just reading back through this threat really reads a lot like the threads on RIM with their Blackberry products.

While the new Mindjet 11 is now released, there must be a much better approach to dealing with good customers.

I still get stories from my clients of absolute frustration when dealing with Mindjet. It's sad to see International contract opportunities pass because people cannot pay for software. Then to check in here and see people left hanging with little or no support for real challenges.

64 bit is hard core reality.

Customer service is a must.

Let's hope things get a whole lot better in the coming months.

Mindjet 11 is the testing the ground to see if the company has refocused and got its priorities - customers and solid product - in place.
Photo of Anders

Anders

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi Mindjet staff,

Our consulting company is now moving over to Windows 8.

Do you now support integration with 64 bit on win 8?

After time spent troubleshooting on this version I personally don't want to test myself but instead just get a swift answer from you.

Best regards
Anders
Photo of Brittney Mazzetta

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
Hi Anders. This thread should answer your question: https://community.mindjet.com/mindjet.... Thanks!
Photo of Michael Deutch

• 438 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Hi Anders, we will be supporting the install of our app on 64 bit Windows 8 however the app is still 32 bit which means that it will only integrate with 32 bit versions of Office.
Photo of Anders

Anders

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ok.
There is noone here that will be installing Office 2013 in 32 bit on new 64 bit Windows 8. De facto standard from our IT with 64 bit.

Thanks for a clear answer Michael, even if it's a no.
Photo of Michael Deutch

• 438 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Sorry Anders. It's a tremendous cost to move to 64 bit and then support both 64 bit and 32 bit. We'll get there but the timing needs to be carefully planned. Thanks for your understanding!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.