- Topic / node options -
- Control over Iine weighting similar to options available for the relationship lines
- Ability to group nodes so that the whole group can be moved or processed at the same time
- The ability to align nodes with each other. (Currently, only free floating nodes and background objects can be aligned using the align tool... Why not the main nodes on the mindmap too?)
- Snap to grid settings so that users can control how course the snapping behaviour is
- The ability to switch off the snap to grid feature
- The ability to export and import Ribbon customisations.
- Make every single command available as an individual Ribbon button. Currently many ribbon commands are buried deep inside another 'dropdown menu' style button e.g. the icon alignment options are buried at the bottom of the alignment button/menu. This is a really frustrating and slow way to work, as it adds unnecessary clicks when trying to create maps at speed during client sessions. As a power user, I want to create custom sections on the Ribbon which show all of the buttons I need to be able to create, manipulate, edit and theme the mindmap without having to go through any drop down menus or open up new windows just to access common settings.
- Keyboard shortcut / key binding for each control in Mindmanager
- User assignable keyboard shortcuts / key bindings
- Dockable and snap-able panels and toolbars. Currently it's not possible to select which UI panels are shown and to reorder their placement. The more like photoshop the UI becomes, the better as it means mindmaps can be created, edited and themed at speed.
- Add a series of controls on the View Tab to show each task panel directly, e.g. a button to show the 'markers' panel, another button for the 'elements' panel etc. Currently it's possible to open the task pane from the Ribbon, but not all of the other panes.
- Task pane 'tabs' scrollbar so that users can scroll down to see all the available task pane tabs. Currently you have to click on a the task pane button to select the tab you want form the menu which is annoying
- Scrollbar within each task pane so that users can scroll to the bottom of panels which don't fit fully on screen i.e. the Brainstorm tab which doesn't fully fit onto the screen at present (and there's no way to scroll down to see it all)
- The ability to create custom templates in Analysis mode, including the ability to set custom areas and define custom icon assignment for all nodes placed within each zone. (The analysis mode should become a main feature, and be improved similar to the prioritisation screen.)
- Right to Left maps (in addition to the existing left to right maps). This will enable people to do root cause analysis diagrams (fishbone charts).
- Mirror maps, which combine left to right maps with right to left maps. (This would help when mapping divergent and convergent ideas)
- Ability to set the default browser for weblinks. Currently it defaults to the internal web browser which is highly frustrating. As a person used to using a browser with plugins and saved bookmarks etc, I want to be able to open weblinks in my normal browser so I can access all of those things when looking at links stored in MM.
I love using Mindmanager, but the things listed below jumped out at me within a few hours of purchasing it.
Even though I fully expect all these ideas to get ignored, I've decided to post them here just to get them off my mind. Maybe a miricle will happen, and one day I'll purchase a future version to find some of the ideas implemented...
If any product managers are listening, I'm happy to do proper UX interviews with you.
Ribbon / Toolbar / UI & UX Improvements:
New Map Types: