Filter a Branch

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
How can I apply a filter to a branch, or to a rollup map?

I am writing a PhD, I have a DashBoard Map and i have a map of my outline.

My Outline is my master map with it is getting pretty big. and has a variety of tasks and properties etc on it.

I want to setup my dash board so it has two Rollup copies of the outline map.

Branch 1. Outline, a summarized version of the outline map with Just the subtopic labels.
Branch 2. Todo - that has been filtered to list only the in complete tasks.

Photo of Immanuel Koks

Immanuel Koks

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1614 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
Based on my understanding of what you do, what you want and what you need....
he easiest and most used way to do this is:

Creating a Dashboard can be done in an easy way:
  • I assume you have designated parts designed in main topics or alike.
  • Right click on those main topics (one at a time) and select send to => Linked map. Take care you set the links both ways and please do delete the subtopics in the original map as suggested.
  • Redo that for all those parts.
  • Now you have a dashboard map where you can click to any submap and those submaps can be edited only by the persons who are allowed (you set editing rights via File -Info Encrypt)
  • If you need to see detailed results of sub maps in your dashboard... use map roilup feature.
Benefits:
  • No need for large maps, since anyone with reading rights can click to the submap without being able to edit those.
  • Save lots of time and constraints of version management
  • Etc.
Filtering a map for TODO's that are not done yet:
  • Use the powerfilter
  • Take care you include all that are not complete
  • Or
  • Create a small SmartRule that signals the desired result
Benefits:
  • No need for rollup copies of your map
Photo of Immanuel Koks

Immanuel Koks

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank-you for your time.

I am not sure that you've really grasped the heart of my question.

How can I apply a filter to a branch of a map? Or do filters only work on a whole Map.

if I read you correctly, you're assuming that I have a separate "Tasks" topic in my outline, and that I just want a filtered version of that on my dashboard. 

But, I my tasks data is part of the topic data in the outline. it is not in a separate topic/subtopic structure.

for example,
say I have written chapter 1 but not chapter 2.

So I want my TODO list to only include chapter 2. 

that's why I thought of making two copies of the roll up map, and filtering  the second copy by filter it's branch

Thanks,
(Edited)
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1614 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
I agree. After reading your explanation, I don't understand what your need is.
It may be that my definition of rollup maps and outlines differ from yours.

Please include images or video to enable me to help you better.

Copies of maps are seldom the solution.
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1076 Posts
  • 261 Reply Likes

After rereading your first post I think I know what you're trying to do, though as Ary said some images or a video would really help. Incidentally my wife just handed in her PhD ( In which she used MindManager as well) so I have some appreciation of what you're going through!

As I understand it, you have a large map, probably with multiple layers, which incorporates both the structure of your PhD and your actual tasks as well as (probably) a whole lot of other things which are mixed in together. What you want to do is create a dashboard map that has two branches linked to the same parent map which would be:

1. A branch filtered to show just the PhD structure and nothing else;
2. A branch filtered to show just the outstanding tasks and nothing else.

All other material in the map, including completed tasks, would be filtered out in the dashboard map.

In effect what you want is for each of the branches to be independently filtered within the same dashboard map. Unfortunately, I don't know if this can be done. It is easy to create a filter for the unfinished tasks; filtering only for topics related to the structure of the PhD is a little more complex but achievable, but mixing the two filters in one dashboard map while "quarantining" each filter to operate only on its own branch seems very difficult to achieve.

I did attempt to create two separate dashboard maps each with its own filter then bring the two together in a third dashboard map, but the third map seemed to lose the filtering (filtering behaviour can sometimes be a bit erratic in dashboard maps). Unless someone else can think of an alternative you may be better off just setting up two dashboard maps, one for structure and the other for tasks, and referring to them separately.

(Edited)