Gantt Chart not displaying all the resources

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago

I have a Gantt chart that is not showing all the resources; it's not filtered. The Resource chart is also limited to these few resources. What can i do?
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 601 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Hello Nicole. The Resources view of the Gantt chart shows only the resources that are assigned to tasks, not all the possible resources in the map. Is that the issue?
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
No, I've assigned all the resources to tasks...
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Now I've noticed it only lists those for tasks longer than a day
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 83 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
Which MindManager version are you using? 2020 SP 1 or an older one?
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 601 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
I'm not able to reproduce that here, so maybe there are some other factors involved. If possible, the best thing to do would be to email your map to MindManager support.

Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I just realized that if you edit the task info in the Gantt chart, there are options to edit resources. Though they've already been added in the main map...this is confusing. Apparently the map doesn't refresh to the gantt chart. I shouldn't have to select it both ways. Maybe I will message them and try to figure this out. Thanks
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 119 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
This seems like an old bug to me.
Please check your version.

Close the program window of the Gantt chart and reopen it. The mask should always refresh.
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

I'm in version 20.1.231 
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Tried to save and close the whole file, and it did not refresh for the resources. I'm working in Enterprise version 20
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 579 Posts
  • 228 Reply Likes
The Gantt Chart and the map should stay in synchronisation so there is no need to specify the resources on both sides. I don't think this has been a known issue in the past. If you can send a failing map to MindManager they should be able to diagnose. It is probably a combination of circumstances.
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 119 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
I really don't understand it. Is it possible to see your map?
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

(Edited)
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 601 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Is it the milestone topics that are missing from the resource chart? Although you can put a resource on the topic, there is no work do be done for a milestone, so there is nothing to list in the resource view for that person. A milestone has no duration so no effort. The Gantt chart calculates on the basis of Effort = Resources x Duration.
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Ok, well we tried that first. we removed it as a milestone, and it still didn't update as a 1 day thing. but that's gotta be it. I'll remove them as milestones.
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Here's the crazy part...everything was showing up previously. when i closed the file and reopened it, the resources disappeared again for the milestones
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 119 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Milestones do not have ressources!
A milestone is an evert, a critical point in the project and not a task.
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

got it. removed them as milestones, but Gantt chart still not updated. closed the file and reopened. thanks all. I'm sending to mind manager. clearly a bug.
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 579 Posts
  • 228 Reply Likes
Did you assign a duration back to the topics to make them tasks? If they still have zero duration (even without the Milestone marker) then they won't appear in the resource chart as there is nothing for the resource to do.
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
yes, they had a 1 day duration
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 83 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
No it's on you Nick
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Thanks all...we are all relatively new to MindManager and didn't understand the implications of making something a milestone. This was a more for a visual than anything else, not for detailed project management, so we don't have all the steps in there. but now I know the implications. Thanks again!
Photo of Sia

Sia, MindManager Product Design & Management

• 261 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Hi Nicole,

Some of the rules in MindManager are due to us trying to maintain compatibility for exports to project management software like Microsoft Project.

In your scenario though, I don't think this is the case. We let you assign a resource to the milestone in the Task pane so IMO it's a bug that it doesn't also show this in the Gantt chart. MindManager is supposed to be more approachable and even fun to use compared to other project management software and I can see why you might want to show the owner of a specific milestone in the Gantt visualization.

I'll see if we can add this to our backlog to be fixed in a future release.

Meanwhile you can work around this issue and show the resource name in the Gantt visual by putting the resources name at the end of the task/topic text EG: "Task name (Name)"  it will look just like the other tasks and show a name after the task name as seen below:
Photo of Nicole

Nicole

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thank you so much for the additional information and these tips! it's great to know this might be addressed later! It is strange that some of the fields are updating in the Gantt chart, but not all of them!
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1249 Posts
  • 332 Reply Likes
There is also a very similar issue with rolled-up tasks. While you can assign both a resource and a relationship line to these which are both visible in the map, neither appears in the Gantt chart view.