genealogy

• Idea
  • Updated 7 months ago
Has anyone looked into the application of MindManager for genealogy application?

Depends a bit what you want to do with a family tree. But to some extend it could be a mindmap.

The advantage is that you can more easily arrange the topics to make a more concise map.

It shouldn't be too difficult to import a gedcom file, the exchange standard for genealogy porgrammes.
Photo of HinoD

HinoD

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Stefani Twyford

Stefani Twyford

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
The lack of a template to support a genealogy tree has been the most frustrating aspect of Mindjet. I have been asking for this for years and they keep saying you can use existing templates but there are none that map out relationships with two parents, four grandparents, etc.
Photo of paul.arnest

paul.arnest

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I' wrestling with uncles, in-laws, etc. also; trying to sort out a problem in Ancestry geneaologies.

Photo of Lisa Jackson Pulver

Lisa Jackson Pulver

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
has this been solved yet - like you i have been seeking one for years....
Photo of stwyford

stwyford

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No! I wish someone at the company would actually read these threads.
Photo of stwyford

stwyford

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
NO! Midjet people, can someone please look at this thread and work up a template for us!!
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1616 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
I personally never felt the need to to this...

However
If you share all examples you have already created in mmap format or at least images, someone may be able to help you.

Photo of stwyford

stwyford

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ary Velstra,

Here is a screen shot of a typical genealogy tree. I find it impossible to create these types of connections in Mindmanager. The connector lines refuse to connect in a way to do this.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
In theory you can construct something like this by ignoring MindManager's tree structure entirely and using a concept map layout. 

In a concept map you add a floating topic every time you create an entry. These topics are linked by relationship lines which you can manipulate to look like your example. The details for each entry could be stored either as topic notes or properties (or both).

This is feasible at least in the latest Windows version (I'm not sure about the Mac). It's a lot of work, however as you would have to line everything up manually and there are none of the bells and whistles of dedicated genealogy applications. And while Corel are expanding MindManager's ability to create and manage free-form maps, it remains at heart a tree-based mind mapping program - and as you have found out, mind map trees and genealogical ones don't make a good mix, despite their similarities.
Photo of stwyford

stwyford

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Alex. Yes, for a tree that has maybe 1000 people on it, I think your suggested method is way too labor intensive. A .mmp template that would allow you to add say, a set of parents, or a child, or a second spouse and know where to put it would be amazing.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes

I just had a quick look at reviews of some of the genealogy applications that are available. Obviously these lack MindManager's mind mapping capabilities but they offer a lot more features related specifically to genealogical trees and can import GEDCOM files from the online services like Ancestry. They're also not that expensive and I think would be a better option.
Photo of Barry Silverberg

Barry Silverberg

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Alex, can you email me the sites you are referencing to bsilverb@austincc.edu
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
Unfortunately I didn’t save the results at the time, but I think all I did was search for combinations of “genealogy applications” and “review”.
Photo of stwyford

stwyford

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
There are several programs that will build a genealogical tree. Some are associated with research sites like Ancestry and MyHeritage and you can extract out a branch of the tree. What I specifically wanted from a mindmap was to be able to make something simple that shows relationships to give to relatives without having to export from a program. I have tried several times to create a map and there's no way to easily show generation connections without literally hand-drawing each box with a line connecting. Very tedious. I was hoping one of your engineers could create some type of template as there are MANY of us genealogists would use MindManager and would utilize this rather than trying to hack an org chart.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1077 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
As I indicated earlier, Mindjet/Corel may be developing MindManager’s concept mapping capabilities further, but because I am neither an employee of the company nor a software engineer I have no direct knowledge of their plans. However, at this point in time I think that MindManager is fundamentally the wrong choice of software for what you are trying to do because it is built so strongly around a tree-based structure.

I can understand why you might want to draw family trees directly without the constraints of genealogical software, but it is difficult to hack MindManager to behave the way you want. It is also a very expensive alternative and I would be surprised if genealogists would be prepared to purchase it over the dedicated programs, many of which are cheaper.

If however you want to be able to draw family trees directly without the limitations of this software you may be better off looking at dedicated concept mapping programs. There are many of these around for both PCs and Macs, and most of them are price competitive with MindManager.
Photo of stwyford

stwyford

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Alex, thanks for your explanation. I appreciate your contribution to this discussion.