Go to specific numbered topic

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
Dear MindManagers,

MindManager 20.1.231 (64-bit) 24.01.202

I have a map with numbered topics: say 1; 1.1.; 1.1.1 and so on.
  Now I want to quickly read a topic by its number, say 1.2.3.
  I noticed that topic numbers fall outside the scope of MM search functionality.

Is there a way to do this without manual navigation?

Thank you.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 137 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Vincenzo Quintani

Vincenzo Quintani

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I will connect to this question and ask in addition another one. I use the same numbering approach, but when I export topics (using zapier to export in evernote) I cannot find numbers in any field of Topic properties. Do you know where number is stored as property  and if it is exportable?
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
In answer to Andrey's question, no, I don't think this possible, at least not without some code being written. 

There are two things which it should be possible to search, filter or set smartrules for and also integrate into topic properties in MindManager - topic level within a map, and topic numbering (or to be more specific, topic position with a branch). The MAP add-in does make the topic level number available as a topic property, but not the second.

In answer to Vincenzo's question, as I posted in another thread, another feature in the MAP add-in allows you to add pre-set prefix to sub-topics, including topic numbering. This should make it easier to export maps to applications which don't add their own numbering automatically. However, as the topic numbering is incorporated into the topic text, these numbers don't change if the "real" topic numbers are subsequently changed in the map.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 137 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Dear Alex,

Yes, copying to topic properties is a viable solution.
  However, it requires updating after a map modificaiton.

I hope that the MM team will implement this basic Go To functionality at a closest development step.

Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 137 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Dear Alex,

Can you suggest a way to reflect topic numbering to its property using MAP add-in, please?
  I could not find this option in MAP ribbons.

Thank you. 
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
Hi Andrey,

Apologies - I've reread my last comment and realise it's potentially a little confusing.

The MAP add-in allows you to add the Topic Level as an Extended Property, as shown in the following:

Unfortunately there isn't an extended property in MAP for topic numbering. However, MAP does allow you to incorporate topic numbering into its topic prefix feature, as shown in the dialogue box:

This doesn't actually "reflect" the actual topic numbering - instead it allows you yo incorporate numbering into the topic text for a user-selected set of sub-topics as part of a topic prefix (though you can make the numbering the only element in the prefix) which in turn form part of the topic text. 

Once the number has been incorporated into the topic text, it can searched or filtered for, and can also form the trigger in a SmartRule, so for example you could add a topic property or a tag with the matching value (though you would have to add a new rule - and tag - for every number). 

However, it's important to remember that these prefix numbers aren't actually linked to the built-in topic numbering in any way, and the former won't reflect any changes in the latter. If you change the topic numbering you will have to redo the prefix, which is a bit tricky as MAP doesn't have any ability to remove previously-added prefixes.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 137 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Oh...
I find built-in numbering functionality quite good and handy.
However, it seems to me that MM team has introduced the numbering, but at some step forgot about it...

Vincenzo Quintani

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Alex. 
What is the MAP Add-in you are referring to? Where I Can find it?
Just to give you a wider explaination, I'm exporting Topics to Evernote using Zapier. Numbering would help me to identify topics since I would order by Name (and thus by topic numbers), moreover I have some find functions that could benefit from numbering.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1803 Posts
  • 300 Reply Likes
Map addin info can be found at olympic limited uk
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
Hi Vincenzo, as Ary said Olympic Ltd sells the MAP add-in. 

Just bear in mind that (as I said before) the topic numbering feature in MAP adds a text prefix with numbering built in which is static once it's added; ie, if you subsequently change the topic order or add or delete topics, the changes in MindManager's topic numbering won't be reflected in the topic numbers that MAP has added.

As you say incorporating adding a topic number to the topic name should not be an issue for sorting by topic name in another program. However, any numeric functions or formulas in the software you are exporting to may not work with the MAP topic numbering in an exported map if they are expecting a "real" number.
(Edited)

Vincenzo Quintani

• 15 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Clear Thanks a lot. Unfortunately I was not able to export to evernote via Zap therefore I took another path. Thanks a lot.