google search mappart not working

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
I use the google search mappart a lot in my training. The benefits of using it inside a map are fantastic.
However, since some time the search does not return any result.

Is there a new setting that should be set?
Is it because I used to demo it in MM15 and just last week I used it with MM16?

Please help.

NOTE: The Amazon and EBay webservices are functioning as usual.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1626 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Bob Levy

Bob Levy

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I thought MJ has already reported it will not support the API in the 2017 release.. Google is now charging? and MJ will not pay the reason?  Now that thought makes sense to a company that is not focused on customer needs.  I recall some where were we were asked if we would pay more for the option.  I will not put iinto print my thoughts on that subject.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1085 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes

While that was part of the stated reason the static PDF export feature was dropped a while back, I'm not sure that it is a licence cost issue in relation to the Google search map part. The official response is that the problem is due to Google changing the search API, which means that the part will have to be "completely rewritten" using Google's new API.

The issue here is that Mindjet either knew or should have known that this was going to occur as it appears that Google had flagged it was changing the API well in advance - and therefore should have responded much earlier. The fact that they did not - and now claim that it will not be possible to release a fix until 2017 - points either a basic communication breakdown within Mindjet or, more worryingly, to the possibility is that the company is testing the extent to which people want this feature retained at all before they bother to do the rewrite.

(Edited)
Photo of Hilde Weisert

Hilde Weisert

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'll reiterate that this seems to be Mindjet shooting themselves in the foot - Google Search, as it was (without any enhancements) was a real selling point when I gave demo's to my companies (two large tech companies) - something everyone could immediately relate to as a big time saver and very cool. So it's not just us users that are affected, but really, future sales
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1085 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
Here's an article on some workarounds for searching without the Google map search part which I have just posted on my blog: https://sociamind.com/2016/08/14/web-searching-in-mindmanager-without-the-google-search-map-part/