Google calendar and mindmanager 2012?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to embed a google calendar into a map?

I've been looking online for a possible solution, but not come up with anything, i was thinking:

1) has someone made a mappart for it?
2) can i make my own mappart for it?
3) can i make a topic live html? (ie - embed a webpage inside a map) then i could add the code for the calendar to be included in the map as if it were a standard web page

Many thanks

John
Photo of John

John

• 27 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 515 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
John

I am not sure if anyone else has done this either, but if not then it would certainly be possible. Map Parts can be "Smart Map Parts", which means they can have code associated with them that runs when they are deployed in a map or are refreshed. Do you want to view specific data from a Google calendar, interpreted into topics or synced with topic tasks? Or do you want the live calendar page rendered by Google Apps? If the latter, then you could simply use a URL to the Google Calendar page. If you want just the calendar embedded in a local page, then you could create a standalone page containing the calendar and view it in the integrated browser window. Or if you wanted to get more advanced, a custom task pane could be added that displays the Google Calendar.

Almost anything is possible - the only thing that might be tricky would be viewing the Google Calendar page in the map canvas itself - this would need some code to create a thumbnail of the web page and embed it as an image in the topic, which would probably be a lot less use than having it in a browser window.
Photo of John

John

• 27 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I have a "dashboard" map that opens whenever i open MM, and that is the first thing i do in the morning! i have some really good ways using MM and some other apps (like dropbox and evernote) of reducing the amount of notes and stuff i have written on scraps of paper, but i still use a paper printout for a calendar, and have decided the time has come to look for a calendar cloud solution. google looks like the best.

So

It would be ideal if i could show this week's calendar within MM as soon as the dashboard map opens, i'd therefore like to embed it in the page in the same way you would on a webpage, rather than linked to.

Has Mindjet released any documentation on creating smart map parts? or on creating task panes?
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 515 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
John

There is documentation about custom marker panes and smart map parts, but as far as I am aware, it is not currently published in the Mindjet Devzone.

if you want a URL to be opened when a particular map is opened, then there are two approaches; either a startup macro that runs when MindManager launches, or an Add-in that detects when maps are opened, and launches a hyperlink from the map, Both could open a page in the built-in web browser.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.