Has anyone discovered in Mindmanager 2018 a way of exporting icons or tags into .csv?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
Has anyone discovered in Mindmanager 2018 a way of exporting icons or tags into .csv? Is anyone else frustrated by having to use properties instead which take a lot more time?
Photo of Richard Hamilton-Price

Richard Hamilton-Price

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Frustrated

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1299 Posts
  • 197 Reply Likes
This will never work because of the nature of CSV files which are comma-separated files and as far as I know these can handle only text-based values and not graphics, which is what the icons and tags are.

And no I am not frustrated, since i never use exports as you request.
But I am curious why you need it, for what purpose, what functionality?
Photo of Richard Hamilton-Price

Richard Hamilton-Price

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The categorisation of task using tags or icons is really useful but I am asked to provide spreadsheet extracts for non MM users including task categorisations. I will therefore have to handle categorisations required in spreadsheets by MM task properties. Properties take more time to deploy to tasks so I was hoping for a CSV export that would accommodate tags.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 874 Posts
  • 220 Reply Likes

The ActivityOwner add-in Map2Excel will do what you want: http://www.activityowner.com/products/map2excel/

Map2Excel has been around for a long time but had not updated for a while. I'd used it a few years ago but had quite forgotten about it, especially as the MM inbuilt CSV export meets my needs.  

Your query stirred my memory so I checked it out. To my surprise not only is it still around it but has been updated for MM2018.

It costs US$14.99 and I've just downloaded the trial. It's got some great features and a few quirks. On the plus side it exports directly to an Excel spreadsheet rather than a CSV file. Also, it actually exports both tags and icons, the latter as their text name, as well as properties and notes (the latter as comments on the cell containing the topic name).

On the minus side the interface is Spartan to say the least and the all the topic task info, properties, tags etc are in columns to the left of the topic name which sort of makes sense when you think about it but does look strange.

The biggest issue may be the fact that tags and icons are ungrouped. Each unique tag and icon gets its own column but it doesn't seem to handle having the same tag in different groups very well. You may have to experiment with this - at least you get a 125 day trial to do so!

(Edited)