Have full feature parity of Windows and Mac versions

• Idea
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Under Consideration
"In today's multi-platform world, cooperation between different operating systems is a necessity, as is cooperation through the ""cloud"".
MindManager has been a trailblazer here in some respects, but has not gone the whole way. Making all features available in the Mac version would help cooperation in big firms and academia greatly!"
(from Andreas Busch)
Photo of Mindjet

Mindjet

• 558 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes

Posted 7 years ago

Photo of Miketoms

Miketoms

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
OK,you could say that again.Thanks for sharing this.

Doug Turner

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I initially bought MM when I was on a Windows system and used it for everything. Our entire company switched to Macs 2 years ago because they simply work better. Our use of mind mapping has dropped because of the lack of integration with scheduling apps and other basic functionality on the Mac side. I want to stay with this platform that I know - but need to see a much stronger commitment to parity with the Windows products.
Photo of Julia

Julia

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I've started using XMind not because it is so much better, but at least it works the same on Mac and Win. I keep thinking I need to just give up hope that MM will listen to its customer base.
Photo of Eleanor Duffy

Eleanor Duffy

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi I got use a Mac too and bought iMindmap for that. It came with a free Windows license. So when I got a new windows PC I could not find the Mindmanager 2012 exe files so contacted support and the response I got was to try and sell me the later version. I replied that I just wanted a 2012 download and I have not had a reply. I am using iMindmap and synching across Windows, Mac and iPad. I also have Mindgenius as I do some work for the parent company. For business mindmapping on a windows system, Mindgenius is a nice app. No Mac or iPad though
Photo of Brittney Mazzetta

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
Hi Eleanor. What is your case number? I want to be sure to follow up with our support team for you. Thanks!
Photo of ksnyde

ksnyde

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
When I first started posting on this thread there were so many problems with the Mac client I thought I'd have to leave. Since then the most basic requirement ... application stability and no more content destruction (related to app stability) ... have been fixed. The IOS client has gotten better too although it's still way too tied to Mindjet's file sharing rather than accepting that what people really want is integration with dropbox, google drive, etc. That said, these are just the basics and the lack of any real updates over the past 6-12 months makes me concerned that people at Mindjet feel this was enough. In my mind it is not.

For the Mindjet folks who monitor this thread, I think it would go a long way to hear an update from you on what the OSX roadmap looks like. At least if we felt a bit more a part of the process we might be more forgiving.

Ken

p.s. if nothing else I'd really like to know when the OSX client will be able to manage mindmap templates.
Photo of Damon Casey

Damon Casey

• 22 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I received an email last week with the good news that I could "upgrade" from my perpetual license to a new perpetual license of MindManager. This provides both the Windows version and Mac version. While this may be reasonable value if you need the Windows version, there are no new features in the Mac version so I would be paying again for something I already have. It's now been some years since a new Mac version was released. I will only consider upgrading if we see some real value in doing so.
Photo of Clark MacDonald

Clark MacDonald

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am a long time Windows user who switched to Mac and recently upgraded my MindManager....A key missing feature is the Design tab...I am used to being able to modify topic styles and save them for future use in the same map. I use this to (in my view) enhance a particular Map visuals based on how many subtopics I have and want to reuse those....I can no-longer create a New Style from selected topic.

Is there some new process on the Mac, workaround or other approach I should be using to accomplish this faster way to customize my map topics and reuse them?
Photo of ksnyde

ksnyde

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Clark,

I agree that is a very important function but one that still does not exist in OSX!

Ken
Photo of tony2e

tony2e

• 2 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Dear Mindjet,

you ask me today to renew my license for Mindjet Mac.
I ask you; when will you give us all the features that Windows users are currently using, and are paying the same money for.

Regards

Tony
Photo of Doug Turner

Doug Turner

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This seems to be the #1 item "Under Consideration" even though many if not most of the posts are more than 1 year old. Can we have an official word from the company? When will Mindjet bring its Mac product up to standards for Windows? If it is NEVER going to happen, please let us know so that we can move to a product that values our business and needs.
Photo of Jessica Jones

Jessica Jones

• 5 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thank you, Doug, and Tony2e, for resurfacing the topic of Mac parity. Does the CEO of Mindjet never read these forums? Does nobody feed the lament of the Mac users up to high levels? I've been using Mindmanager since it started, or very close to its start. I have years and years of complex maps. Since switching from Windows to Mac now 5 years ago, my mindmapping life has been fraught.

I've started to use Buzan's iMindMap, but just in a tentative way, because of the legacy of all those Mindmanager maps. Mindmanager is still my preferred choice because of this: I really, really, don't want to switch, but oh the pain of lack of parity. (I've whined a good deal above about the absence of the "create linked child map from branch" feature on the Mac version.)

Also: I'm totally confused by Connect. I and my husband--both mindmappers for decades, and users of Mindmanager since the get-go--spent an hour on the Mindjet site trying to understand Connect, to no avail. Are we alone in our dimwittedness? Will Connect "fix" the Mac/Windows parity issues, or are we Mac users still stuck with a Cinderella product, i.e. neglected and ignored.
Photo of jbsound

jbsound

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Looking at the date of the last post, and the fact that we are still at the same Mac version parity discrepancy, what is the latest in terms of bringing both platforms on the same feature level?
Photo of Nigel Goult (Olympic & MIVAP)

Nigel Goult (Olympic & MIVAP)

• 348 Posts
  • 134 Reply Likes
Although there is a massive difference in the two versions I would have to say that Mindjet have a fairly tough job to create absolute parity. The reason is that the Windows version of MindManager, like it or not, is the best and most feature rich mapping application available today. Creating a like for like version with the Mac would be a huge job.

Taking into account that most other cross platform mapping applications do not have the breadth of MindManager for Windows and that they have been created in tandem, Mindjet have a hard job to take something that was already way ahead of its time 10 years ago and duplicate that on the Mac OS.

Cross platform parity maybe on the radar, or indeed in development, but I would not get too excited about it being a mirror image of the Windows version as I don't think that would be possible.

As a developer of MindManager solutions, made possible by the MindManager for Windows API, I see that the Windows version of MindManager will always be "in the lead" when it comes to Mac or other platforms for another few years.

This is also the reason many Mac users run the Windows version under Parallels or similar.
Photo of ksnyde

ksnyde

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
It may be a big gap but at the price point that is currently being charged a Mac user should expect some amount of catching up and that progress has not been forthcoming.

I still HOPE that Mindjet gets their act together in this space but for now I'm juggling between Mindjet and MindNode 2.0. MindNode is super fresh, very OSX, and I enjoy the experience more but it is not as feature rich as Mindjet (yet?).
Photo of Doug Turner

Doug Turner

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I posted here a couple of years ago - have received 8 to 10 "upgrade" calls and emails with the promise that a substantially improved Mac version would be released soon - usually stating a 4 to 6 month time range.  Some companies don't sell a Mac version of their software - though most now have pushed it to the cloud. 
Acknowledging that you are not trying to include a market is honest - even if it is a questionable business strategy.  The problem here is that Mindjet continues to offer a native Mac product - even charging the same price as the Windows version.  This thread has been open for four years and is marked by the Company as "Under Consideration."  This is simply misleading.  
I no longer believe the company will update the Mac version (though I have some "sunk costs" due to statements that they would).  
Photo of ksnyde

ksnyde

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Doug, I'm with ya. I am very frustrated with Mindjet, I'm really itching to jump and MindNode is the closest thing yet for me as a jumping off point. Sure you don't get the interoperability with Windows but in reality a lot of "sharing" with others was always a one-way send of a PDF. For that matter when I suggest someone purchase Mindjet now, the price is just laughable. Instead asking them to spend $10 on the IOS version of MindNode seems far more "interoperable"/reasonable.  
Photo of Ceffyl Aedui

Ceffyl Aedui

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I've been using ConceptDRAW MindMap, which has Windows and Mac support and seems very close in their features. I'm tired of Mindjet's lack of support for their Mac users.
Photo of ksnyde

ksnyde

• 12 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Why oh why not put pricing behind the "registration function"? Smells like too much money when they do this. Out of interest though, how much does it cost?
Photo of Ceffyl Aedui

Ceffyl Aedui

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
ConceptDRAW MindMap is $199, according to the web site. It even reads Mindjet files. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the SWF export, a feature I use in MindManager a lot.
Photo of Julia

Julia

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
This has been an issue for years.  As a Mac/PC user I have completely given up on Mindjet in favor of cross-platform solutions.
Photo of Patrick Duffy

Patrick Duffy

• 24 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I am all Mac now so moved to iMindmap. I do have parallels and will do a little work with Mindjet on that but really I thing that the Mac version of mindjet is moribund.
Photo of Julia

Julia

• 18 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I've been using XMind. It seems to do nearly everything Mindjet did, also.  Mac and PC.
Photo of Damon Casey

Damon Casey

• 22 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

I've been using NovaMind which is as full-featured as the Windows version of MindManager and that has a Mac and Windows version. I found it to have too many features and have gone for a more simplistic mind mapping app and I'm now using Mindnode which has a Mac and iOS client and works well enough for my requirements. One of my biggest issues with Mindnode was the inability to add notes to a branch but a recent upgrade has added that so I'm happy with this now and can work on a mind map anywhere.

I think Mindjet have let the Mac version lapse for too long now without adding new features and the competition have been catching up a lot. I didn't subscribe when they moved to the subscription model because nothing new had been added to the Mac version and I already had a perpetual license. I don't believe there have been any new features in all that time.

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1275 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
I cannot help myself, but have the impression that the latest 10 or so posts on this subject were sponsored by competitors.

We all know that many of the extra facilities of the windows version were originally third party add-ins that made use of the open developer gateway on windows that Apple's Mac OS-X simply does not provide. For Mac versions everything has to be programmed anew. Possible, but a lot of work.
(Edited)
Photo of Doug Turner

Doug Turner

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Perhaps the last few have been from a person who has a vested interest in a specific product (I really have no idea).  I can assure you that the posts I have made here over the past years have been from frustration and false information by the company.  I have looked at some of the other solutions suggested - even use one on a personal basis - but have a substantial past investment in MindJet Mac for my company.  This was based on a decision at time of purchase where the two versions were similar and ongoing promises that a major upgrade is to be released shortly.  

As I stated in an earlier post, it is the company's decision if they want to serve the Mac market.  However, it is unethical to promise (and charge) for something you are never going to deliver.  Intuit, for example, has shown that they care very little for the Mac market.  Nobody who buys Quicken for Mac thinks they will get a product like the Windows one - or that it will ever be the same.  Their choice - Apple now a $640 BB company and Intuit a $23 BB one. 
Photo of Damon Casey

Damon Casey

• 22 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Nope. If you go back towards the beginning of this thread, you'll see I posted for the first time 3 years ago asking for feature parity. I've only come back into the thread because I'm still subscribed to it. I cannot speak for the other recent posters but my only affiliation to Mindjet, Novamind or MindNode are that I've purchased the software.

While I don't doubt that there would be a lot of work to program these features for the Mac, there has not been an upgrade in more than 3 years (possibly longer than 4) for the Mac that has introduced new features. Moving to a subscription model without introducing new features that would add value to this model led me to look at the competition.

MindManager was a very good product when I purchased it with version 6 and I upgraded as far as version 9. Its ease of use is better than Novamind without the additional features that come with that product. I think if MindManager had been upgraded during these years that I would have continued to pay for upgrades but unfortunately it's languished for too long.
Photo of Doug Turner

Doug Turner

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Agreed - and don't forget that they were able to devote the resources to write an IOS version during this time!
Photo of Julia

Julia

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm in exactly the same position as you, Damon...I've only come back into the thread because I'm still subscribed to it. It's been well over 4 years that this conversation has been happening. And at that time there had been even earlier demand for Mac parity.
Photo of Ceffyl Aedui

Ceffyl Aedui

• 25 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Damon, I think you're speaking for a lot of us and expressing our frustration over seeing the Mac version languish while other versions are updated or even created. My post about ConceptDRAW was just because it was another solution I had to move to because of the lack of support for Mac users on MindManager. (I'm not affiliated with ConceptDRAW in any way.) 

I love some of the features in the Windows version. I wish we had them on the Mac. I'd use the heck out of it, but I can't wait any longer for Mindjet to add features to the Mac version. 

The Mac version could be a great product if they would invest in it. 
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1275 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
So my impression about the latest posts was wrong. I am glad to have that out of the way.

Now lets hope that there is budget available somewhere within Mindjet to make things better for Mac users.
(Edited)
Photo of thebimbo

thebimbo

• 48 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Any update on this 6 year old thread. If anything the disparity of features between Mac/PC/iOS/web has grown over this time and has not improved under Corel rule...
Photo of Alf Christophersen

Alf Christophersen

• 49 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Maybe a soultion would  be another purchase of MM.
By Idera who also own tools to make programs for Windows, Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android and Linux servers from same source code. Just select platform and recompile and employ, automatically on wanted platform.