How disgusting that 2012 stops working

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
This is obviously a ploy to move those of us with paid for and registered software onto the "Cloud" service. This is happening time and time again with software vendors and you should all be ashamed of yourselves. I am over it. I will go back to free ware rather than put up with having to spend my valuable time fixing your issues. Again disgusting!
Photo of Peter Day

Peter Day

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1244 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes
Dear Peter, Just tried MM 2012 on my WIndows pro 7 laptop and it still works as usual.

Once the software was up. I could connect to my Mindjet cloud without any problem.

There must be another issue on your systems.

No shame for Mindjet on this one .... ?
(Edited)
Photo of Peter Day

Peter Day

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Ary, that is very good for you. My software was working fine, and has been on both mac and PC, well at least until  I clicked on update now no matter what I do uninstall re-install remove registry info etc., etc., it does not work.

It is the update that caused the problem not the operating system, this is the responsibility of Mindjet to check so shame still stays with them.

I'm not alone on this and there are lots of people in my position, as indicated by the need for a blog to address it.

All my years of maps are totally inaccessible.

• 1244 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes
Have you tried to contact mindjet techjical support? They are good abd fast in.my experience

• 1244 Posts
  • 183 Reply Likes
And ofcourse you have always made backups at more locations. Just like we all do.
Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Peter, any details on what is happening? Do you receive a message when trying to start MindManager? Is this both on MindManager for Mac and MindManger for Windows?
Photo of Peter Day

Peter Day

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Mathieu

No I get no message the software just does not open. I have uninstalled, removed the folders, removed the registry entry and re-installed several times (Following the instructions on the blog). It works fine on my Mac.

I am running Windows 10 Pro on a Surface 64-bit 8GB memory i7 processor, As I said it was fine until the software asked me to check for updates.

Peter
Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Since you've mentioned the Check For Updates relationship, it could help to see if disabling this feature helps...

To do so, open the Registry Editor in Windows and navigate to the MindManager key, probabaly something like:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mindjet\MindManager\2012\Settings 

However, since MindManager 2012 is 32-bit and you've mentioned a 64-bit Windows it could also be something like:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wow6432Node\Mindjet\MindManager\2012\Settings 

Double click the 'AllowUpdateCheck' and change the value to '0'.
Then try to start MindManager again.

Until MindManager is fixed, you might be able to access most of the information in your maps using freely available tools such as a MindManager 2017 for Windows trial (which will revert to a viewer after 30 days) or XMind to view and edit files (might be limited). Also, since you've mentioned MindManager for Mac for works fine you should also be able to open your maps in this app (might be limited as well).