How do I change the default shapes, colours & types of connector etc for my new MM (2017) files?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
Hello

How do I change the default shapes, colour and types of connector that I get when I create any new MindManager (v2017 on Windows10) files?

I am totally confused about whether I should be using "Themes", "Templates", or mindmanger files in order to do this.

Cheers

J
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 74 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • confused & irritated that this is so complicated

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Shilpa Kabra

Shilpa Kabra, Official Rep

• 125 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Hi John,

There are multiple ways to do what you are looking for .
You can save  the map as template which can be used as basis for creating maps.
or  
You can change the default shapes,color and type of connector  and save the map as theme (.mmas) file which contains map's default formatting information.
Theme file contains the default format settings for all objects on the map.
It does not contain any of the content. 

Following is the help link which has detail information about Templates and Themes:

http://onlinehelp.mindjet.com/help/Mindmanager/17/EN/save_maps_templates_and_themes.htm

Thanks,
Shilpa
Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 508 Posts
  • 169 Reply Likes
The "theme" of a map is the set of initial styles of items such as topic shapes, colours, line sizes and so on. These can be individually customised in any map, but when new items are created, they start from the current theme setting.

A "template" is a special map on disk that is used as the starting point for a new map. It contains the theme, map markers and initial content of a new map. By editing the theme of a template, you change the design of maps created from it in the future (but this doesn't change maps already created from it).

To change the theme of the default template, go to the Design tab and click on "Template Organizer", then choose "Map Templates". (Other items have templates too, not just maps). In the left hand pane, browse to the folder "Blank Templates" and click on "Default Map". Now click the Modify button, which opens this template.

You are now editing the template from which new maps are created, when the default template is chosen. In the Design tab, click Map Theme, then click Modify. This shows all possible element types in a map. You can click on an individual one and change the topic shape, colours, fonts and so on. When you are done, click Apply and Close, then save this document.

Now when you start a new default map from the Quick Access toolbar, the new map will contain the changes you made above.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1251 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
Hello John.
Nick and Shilpa gave some excellent advise here.

You may find that MindManager has so much to offer that it can get confusing to find the best way to reach your goals.
My suggestion would be... save about 8 days of self training - and still miss a lot of options - by entering into a trainingclass provided by one of the MIVAP members. http://www.mivap.org/members/
(Edited)
Photo of John Smith

John Smith

• 74 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Sorry but I still don't get this. I have created both themes and templates which I need to have in my own location within by c:\docs\my_templates\ folder, as this folder is shared by multiple computers. How can I get MM2017 to create any new 'map' (i.e. document?) using a template or theme in the location of my choosing?

Moreover I still only half-understand the difference between a theme and a template.  If I edit a theme will it affect files already created using that theme?

Cheers

J
Photo of Shilpa Kabra

Shilpa Kabra, Official Rep

• 125 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Hi John,
 Let's take one step at a time .Whatever templates you have created and saved on your computer ,you will have to add them to MindManager's template repository.
You can do this by navigating to File  > New> Add Template(top right corner) as shown in the screen shot below.After that it will be available  to create new maps  in future.

Let me know if this works for you.
Theme contains the default format settings( topic shapes, colours, line sizes ect..) for all objects on the map.
Which can be applied to existing maps or future maps.

If you have changed the theme of the Default map ,as Nick explained, then going forward if you create any map that theme will be applied to those maps.But it won't be applied to existing maps or already created maps.

Even if you still unclear about Map Theme ,I would suggest you to call Support at 415-229-4200 x2  or 1877mindjet and ask them to walk you through the steps and explains.

Thanks,
Shilpa