How to change spacing between the central topic and main topics in org chart layout

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
How do you increase spacing between the central topic and main topics in org chart layout? I created a process flow chart and need to add lead times at the top between the central topic and main topics below. I thought it would be under Format, Subtopic Distance, From Parent; however, no changes are visible as I change the number.
Photo of Marcy Southern

Marcy Southern

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1888 Posts
  • 337 Reply Likes
Can you include some images to help us understand your question?
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 354 Reply Likes
In the org chart layout you can drag the main topics downwards to create more space, though as far as I can tell you can't move them sideways.

As a matter of curiosity, how do you intend to add the lead times - as callouts?
Photo of Sia

Sia, Official Rep

• 275 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
Hi Marcy,

You were correct! unfortunately there is an issue where you don't see a change until you increase the value to something greater than 12 mm. You can see in the image below that I changed it to 30 and the main topics all move down away from the central topic. 

Hopefully that's what you're looking for, if not let me know!
Photo of chelps

chelps

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Is there a way to increase the space between the main topic and that top horizontal line? Sia Banihashemi
(Edited)
Photo of Sia

Sia, Official Rep

• 275 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
Hi Chelps,

There is currently no way to adjust the length of that section of the line when the "Line anchor" is set to "Outside" however if you switch to "Center" or "Spread" then you can control the overall length of the line using "Distance from parent" which might provide the look you want.

Photo of chelps

chelps

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Many thanks. That is helpful.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1274 Posts
  • 354 Reply Likes
If you want to increase rather than decrease the distance from the central topic to main topics in an org chart you can "cheat" slightly by inserting a single dummy main topic, then adding subtopics to this main topic in an org chart format.

Insert the main topic and delete the text, reduce the font size and remove any fill colour. Unfortunately if you try to delete the line as well you will end up with a gap in the line from the central topic to the subtopics, so the best option is to change the topic shape to circle. Ensure that this topic has an org chart layout then insert the subtopics. You can format these to look like "real" main topics. You should end up with something like this: