How to collaborate around a huge mindmap where different people are in charge of different parts of the mindmap.

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone, I have been holding workshops where information about products and how they can be clustered has been gathered into a big mindmap. Are there any ways of designating parts of the mindmap so that only specific persons can edit them ?
Photo of angylp74

angylp74

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1614 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
The easiest and most used way to do this is:

• I assume you have the designated parts designed in main topics or alike.
  • Right click on those main topics (one at a time) and select send to => Linked map. Take care you set the links both ways and please do delete the subtopics in the original map as suggested.
  • Redo that for all those parts.
  • Now you have a dashboard map where you can click to any submap and those submaps can be edited only by the persons who are allowed (you set editing rights via File -Info Encrypt)
  • If you need to see detailed results of sub maps in your dashboard... use map roilup feature.
Benefits:
  • No need for large maps, since anyone with reading rights can click to the submap without being able to edit those.
  • Save lots of time and constraints of version management
  • Etc.

(Edited)
Photo of angylp74

angylp74

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your reply!

Perhaps a tricky part is that many of my colleagues do not use mindmanager and are more comfortable with excel. Jag did a csv export from mindmanager (is one able to map markers info too) which they then use excel to update their columns. I need to recollect some parts of that info into the main mindmap again. Is it possible or must everyone use mindmanager ?

• 1614 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
Best way to do this is to use excellinker. Under Advanced tab.
This is a direct link into excel and viceversa.
Play with it to understand the enormous power for your purpose.
Read the help....

Or contact an experienced trainer in your area.
Photo of angylp74

angylp74

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
shall do so , I have been living with mindmanager 2015 for quite a while.
Photo of angylp74

angylp74

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
just tested it. i see it as a branch with big excel box. 

• 1614 Posts
  • 241 Reply Likes
In that case you miss the enormous power of the function.
It is a direct view of -part of- any excelsheet. So if users have excel and work in it, you have their changes visible whenever you need to see them.
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1076 Posts
  • 261 Reply Likes
If you want to view the map itself in Excel you can use MindManager's export facility to create a CSV map which Excel can open. However, this is a one-way export.

The Map2Excel add-in from ActivityOwner - http://www.activityowner.com/products/map2excel/ - creates an Excel file directly which provides more detail. You can also import a spreadsheet with this add-in but you can't "round trip" (ie, export, edit and then re-import) a map easily between the two programs.

ExcelMapUpdater is another add-in, from MindLogik - https://mindlogik.com/collections/mindjet-mindmanager-add-ins/products/mindjet-mindmanager-19-excelm... This allows you to roundtrip a map, but I haven't used this add-in yet so I don't know how well it works.

Photo of angylp74

angylp74

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
thanks again Alex for your links!

I have some information in all the level one and two mindmap branches (as in title, task info AND tags) which I would love to have an integration with excel so that it is a two way irregardless if the other party runs mindmanager locally or not.   In these excel files there are more fields that are details not needed in the mindmap.

Should i have organised it differently. Or  must everyone run mindmanager ?
Wonder what the version 2020 will bring.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1076 Posts
  • 261 Reply Likes

As I said in my previous response the only option I know of that appears to allow full roundtripping between MindManager and Excel is ExcelMapUpdater. I've only just started playing with it and I've had mixed results so far - I've been able to send a map to Excel as a spreadsheet but not to send it back.

This may well be because I'm doing something wrong but even if it works there are some fundamental problems with using this approach to manage large maps and complex tasks involving multiple people in an organisation. MindManager maps are, generally speaking, inherently hierarchical in structure, unlike a spreadsheet which can be set up in a number of ways. In theory you should be able to export a map to Excel and preserve this structure, but in practice it's very easy for people to change the underlying structure spreadsheet, or introduce variables that won't make any sense when it is sent back to MM. And of course the more people involved and the more complex the map the greater chance there is for something to go wrong.

On balance it may be easier to start training across the organisation on MindManager so that everyone is using it in the first place. This way you can segment the map and its management while maintaining an overview through a dashboard in the way that Ary described in his initial response. There are also inherent advantages if everyone is using the same management tool in the first place.
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1076 Posts
  • 261 Reply Likes
You should definitely look at the Excel integration in MindManager 2020.