How to find source of "(1:133819) Illegal xml character" error?

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
I am converting a mindmap from XMind to MindJet for a client.  The conversion seems to go OK, but when I try to open the file in MindJet I get the following error:

(1:133819) Illegal xml character.

Is there anyway to figure out which character or node is causing the problem so that I can fix it and open the file in Mindjet?

Thanks for any help!

Best,

Alison Sykes
Photo of Alison Sykes

Alison Sykes

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Shilpa Kabra

Shilpa Kabra, Official Rep

• 125 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Hi Alison, We have created a ticket for the issue you are experiencing. I will contact you at your local business hours. Here is your ticket number: 00355979.
Photo of Granite

Granite

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This doesn't answer the question. This is a recurring issue based on posts to this forum. Is there a way we can search our files for illegal characters without waiting for tech support to get back to us?
Photo of Marian Kocmanek

Marian Kocmanek, Official Rep

• 367 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Granite, 

Removing illegal XML characters from MindManager Maps is a somewhat involved process. 

If you will like to try this on your own, please do the following: 

1. Change the file extension of the Map from .mmap to .zip
2. Extract the Zip archive. 
3. Use a XML editor to edit the Document.xml file. A good & free one is notepad++ 
4. Locate the illegal characters and remove them, then save the changes. 
5. Place the Document.xml file back in the unzipped archive, then zip it. 
6. Change the file extension back to .mmap. 

Our Customer Support Team will be glad to repair any affected files if the above process does not resolve the issue. Also, illegal xml characters in a map are often a result of copy/pasting formatted text from other sources. One way to prevent this issue from occurring is to only paste plain text in Maps.

Best,
-Marian 
Photo of Granite

Granite

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks very much, greatly appreciated!