how to use publish in 2018

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
I am trying new MM2018 features but I notice the Publish option is disable. Is there any way to upload maps to clouds to start using this option?
Photo of emonterog

emonterog

• 81 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Publishing is not available in the trial version. I'm currently on a MM2018-trial while waiting for our team's new license and received this e-mail last week: https://go.mindjet.com/index.php/email/emailWebview?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiT1Rjek56QmpPRE15TjJFdyIsInQiOiJq...
Photo of emonterog

emonterog

• 81 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thank you Mathieu, good to know. I can't wait to receive my new license to try and feel how this looks like. I wonder if there is already a library of maps already published. Also interesting to see the difference btw. HTML5 and those in Publish.
Photo of Metta

Metta

• 18 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I just started my free trial this weekend, and I was extremely disappointed to discover I will have no opportunity to publish and test the display of my maps in the cloud, especially after learning that web-based maps apparently do not include all the features and functions available in the desktop version.

In light of this, where can we view a list of the features not included in (or not fully functional in) the cloud maps?
(Edited)
Photo of Sia Banihashemi

Sia Banihashemi, Official Rep

• 96 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Hi Metta, we are investigating adding publishing to the trial and hope to have something soon. In the mean time you can view the below published file containing quality of life improvements in MindManager 2018. I added a topic at the end that shows some of the supported features that may not have been supported in previous versions of our online products. Overall most things are supported, if you have any issues be sure to let me know and I'd be happy to investigate.

https://share.mindmanager.com/#publish/jrogPKJfJXKhElTOi5rHkkNvzUCZfScoHF3murkQ 

Thanks!
Photo of Metta

Metta

• 18 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thank you so very much, Sia!  :-)

I am immensely grateful for your helpful feedback and the fabulous example of supported features you've provided. Everything worked flawlessly, and I appreciate you taking the time to compile such a great sampling.

I'm also really pleased to see that consideration is now being given to providing a publishing option in the free trial. This will be great a help to those of us whose primary goal is to share maps with others.

As for issues with the sample you provided, I hope the search will eventually be expanded to include the notes and the option to search across linked maps.

However, in the meantime, I think this may work very well for my current publishing needs, and thank you again for your prompt help and responsive feedback.
Photo of Metta

Metta

• 18 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Sia, I do have one more quick question about our published maps options:
> Do internally linked maps current display in published maps?

The option of manually adding a link to a secondary map (as illustrated in your sampling) will certainly work for my current purposes, but my understanding is that "linked maps" have a different type of direct, internal connection.
> Is this correct?

Any additional light you could shed on the subject of linked maps, and any options we have for publishing and/or exporting them, will be sincerely appreciated.
(Edited)
Photo of Sia Banihashemi

• 96 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Hi Metta,

Currently the best way to display maps within maps in your published files is to use the attachment feature not the link feature. This ensures that the attached maps will be published with your main map. 

We don't currently have a way to automatically publish all linked maps as part of the publishing process, but if enough people are interested we would consider adding this.

If you really want to use links now you could also publish each map individually and add the publish URLs as links in the main map. 

Hope that helps!
Photo of Metta

Metta

• 18 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks again, Sia, for your prompt and helpful feedback. Attached maps and/or map links will work just fine for now.

However, if there would ever be a way to integrate linked maps, I'm wondering if this would provide some additional advantages/functionality? 

For example, could search across maps be integrated if linked maps could be published? This alone would seem to be a huge benefit for complex integrated maps, apart from any other features and functions linked maps might provide.

Also, a related question: when I create HTML5 exports with attached maps or published map links, may I assume it would be best to set all these links to open in a NEW window, in order to avoid having linked maps showing up in the internal browser?

My guess is a map display in the internal browser would be potentially confusing to new MM readers, not to mention harder to navigate.

Your thoughts?
(Edited)
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1251 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
The only thing the Publish function gives is Publish.
See the explanation in the software.
About Publishing

Publishing is a free service available for licensed MindManager 2018 customers. It allows you to publish your MindManager files online. Anyone you share your published file with will be able to view it in their browser even if they do not have MindManager installed. You can also allow viewers to download your published files.

Publishing FAQ

How much does it cost?

Basic publishing service is free for licensed MindManager 2018 users. For those using the free service, there is a small advertisement for MindManager displayed on published files.

How long will my file stay published online?

That’s up to you! You can always view your previously published files and un-publish them at any time.

Where is my published file stored?

Published files are stored on secure Mindjet servers in North America for US users. For users in Europe and the rest of the world, published files are stored on secure Mindjet servers in Frankfurt Germany.

What if I need to publish updates to my published file?

Changes made to your file will not be published until you elect to do so by choosing “Publish Update” from the MindManager interface. Once you do so, the previous version of your file in the cloud is updated to the latest version while retaining the same links and embed codes. There is no need to send new links or update embed codes.

Photo of Metta

Metta

• 18 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I agree wholeheartedly! Not having control over this promotional display is hugely disappointing -- and I do hope consideration will be given to providing some measure of user control over this unwelcome and obtrusive marketing ploy.
Photo of Jigs Gaton, Consultant

Jigs Gaton, Consultant

• 111 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Hi Metta, I think Mindjet might have heard us - the placard is gone now from my published maps now, do you see it here? https://share.mindmanager.com/#publish/_nRDnHXWaMDDjBfz05u5r_kvXS8VEGhOs-u4LK_- 
Photo of Nigel Goult (Olympic & MIVAP)

Nigel Goult (Olympic & MIVAP)

• 348 Posts
  • 134 Reply Likes
I think you will find this is activated by a cookie. On the first visit the placard is there. When I then close the tab and then click your link to revisit it is not displayed.

I would guess this will be timed and may come back after a specified time span.

Regards
Nigel

Olympic Limited
More about Olympic MindManager Add-ins
Contact Nigel

Photo of Jigs Gaton, Consultant

Jigs Gaton, Consultant

• 111 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
That makes sense Nigel, and from past experience with WordPress and popup add-ins, that's what I would do - when I did do it -  knowing it would be annoying as hell...but sometimes ya gotta eat :) 

But the point for me is that all my maps go to clients, and they will only read once, so they will always see the advert - over my wonderfully laid out map - ha! 

Jigs
(Edited)
Photo of Metta

Metta

• 18 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Thanks so much for the heads up on this, Jigs. :-) Sure enough, the promo did not appear when I visited your map for the very first time, which was initially encouraging.

However,  based on Nigel's feedback, I'm now wondering if the promo would have appeared had I not already dismissed it earlier today when I visited the map that Sia shared previously in this discussion.

Is there any chance we can get feedback from an official MM rep (Sia, perhaps?) about the status of this cookie-based marketing gizmo?

Specifically:
> how it works (when and how often it is triggered)?
> if there is any chance it has been (or soon will be) eliminated completely?
(Edited)
Photo of zak_neutron

zak_neutron

• 15 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi, I have a new licenced version of MM 2018. The Publish features appears not to work. A BLANK window appears when I click "Start new Publish or Sign in" I get following message:
Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Normally this would open up a webbrowser window, could you please share some details about the version of your operating system and your webbrowser to see if we can find a link there?
Photo of zak_neutron

zak_neutron

• 15 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi, After a bit of investigating this appears related to our proxy server. My OS - Win 7. We have a choice of proxies and some work with Mindjet Files area (where the map lives) but don't work with the publishing option.

On clicking the Publish options - it tries to open a generic application window rather than a browser.
Photo of Sia Banihashemi

• 96 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Hi Zak,

Thanks for the update, proxies are very difficult for our QA team to replicate exactly as they are configured in a customer's environment, so it's hard for them to ensure that it works in every scenario. Are proxies a requirement for you or your company? If you would like to further discuss your usage of proxies and publishing needs I would be happy to speak with you in a web conference so we can come up with a solution. Please email customer.support@mindjet.com and ask them to forward your email to me.

Thanks
(Edited)
Photo of Metta

Metta

• 18 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Sai, I was very pleased to see your announcement today about the new branding options in MindManager. 

In this thread, you also previously said "we are investigating adding publishing to the trial and hope to have something soon". 

Just wondering where things stand now in terms of including publishing in the free MM trial. Is this an option now? Or is it something we can still look forward to at some point in the relatively near future?
Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
It should be enabled in the latest trial versions, see the release notes and screenshot below:
Photo of Sia Banihashemi

• 96 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Yes, publishing is enabled for trials in Version 18.1.