How do I change the location of the default template for Mindmanager 2012?

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
Hi

I use MindManager 2012 on 3 difference PCs. I want to be able to change the default template ONCE i.e. within the group of my personal documents that I synchronize between my 3 PCs.

with thanks

J

P.S. General comment: the MM2012 is now horrendously complicated and not remotely intuitive to the novice. And this fact is a serious threat to the future of MM.
Photo of Screw

Screw

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Nick Duffill

Nick Duffill, Champion

• 512 Posts
  • 170 Reply Likes
Hello

I don't think there is a way to change the location of the template map that is associated with the default new map, but there are two other approaches:

1. Use a Package Folder which is in a common location and contains a "Templates" subfolder with template maps in it. Add the Package to all your installations of MindManager (with File tab > Options > Package Folders) and then use Design tab > Template Organizer > Map Templates > (select template) > New Map to create a new map from a template stored in a central location.

2. Or a less complex way: create a map that will be the template you want, store it in a central location and then use File tab > New > New from existing to browse to it and start a new map from that. This way takes less setting up, but a few more clicks each time you use it, unless the common location is easy to browse to.
Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1033 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
You could use Dropbox as the central store for the Package Folder
Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 116 Reply Likes
Adding to Andrew's reply: the default Package Folder cannot be changed from within MindManager after installation. However, you could change the location from the Registry if you know how to work with the Registry Editor. Another way might be to pass the location of the default Package Folder during installation, this is possible when using the Admin Kit of MindManager.
Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1033 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
Here is a blog related to this matter I wrote back in March 2012
How to manage shared resources for teams of MindManager users (or PCs)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.