How do you reorder tag groups in a topic?

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
I have five tag groups added to several topics.  I would like to dispaly them in a different order to the order I added them to the topic. How do I do this?
  1. Reorder based on A-Z or Z-A
  2. Drag and drop to desired order.
Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1036 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1054 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
Hi Andrew,

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your question, but tag groups appear to be added to topics in the order that they have been added to the Marker Index and there doesn't appear to be any way to change this.

You can sort tags within tag groups A-Z or Z-A, but I can't find a way to sort the tag groups.

Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1036 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
Snap
Photo of Medved Hnedy

Medved Hnedy

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have found a method that works, albeit inelegant:
Make a new group, Transfer (drag-drop) all tags are higher in the order than you like, then add (drag) them back in the order desired. They will be appended at the end.
1. Group1: a-z-x-c-y-b, Group2: -
2. Group1: a-b, Group2: z-x-c-y
3. Group1 a-b-c, Group2: z-x-y
6. Group1:a-b-c-x-y-z, Group2:-
7. Delete Group2
If most of the tags are wrong, you can just drag everything into Group2, delete Group1 and then rename Group2.
CAVE! I am not sure how this affects synchronized groups (e.g. Outlook category), be sure to back up before you try it.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1054 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
This rang a bell - I actually proposed a related but slightly different approach in response to a similar discussion five years ago. The conversation thread is very long so I've pasted an edited version of my response below:

Assume you have three tag groups in the Map Index named and ordered as follows:

• Three
  • One
  • Two

To move group Three to the bottom, first copy the group and then delete it, confirming that yes you do want to delete the whole group.

Then go to the green plus sign at the top of the Map Index tab and click on Paste Marker Group. Icon and Tag groups are always pasted at the bottom of the relevant section, so your tag groups should now be ordered as follows:

• One
  • Two
  • Three

The main limitations with this approach are that you have to do this one group at a time and that you can only sort by pasting the copied groups to the bottom of the list. Therefore, if you had four groups which were ordered:

• Two
  • Four
  • One
  • Three

- you would start by copying, deleting and pasting group Two at the bottom, do the same for group Three and then finally deal with group Four to get them in the correct order.

The other thing is that you have to remember always to copy the group, then delete. If you fail to copy first the group is gone forever, so it's probably wise to save a copy of the map before you start the reordering process.

Actually the rest of the thread is interesting as Mike Danielski proposed an approach to sorting groups using XML - https://community.mindjet.com/mindjet/topics/how-to-rearrange-icon-and-tag-groups-in-map-index?utm_s...