How to import xmind files?

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Answered
I have 100s of xmind files and would like to know if anybody has found a simple way to open xmind files in mind manager. I have contacted mm support who have advised - 'no can do'!
Photo of Mike Healey

Mike Healey

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 879 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
You may have to spring $100 to get the Pro version of Xmind, which I understand can export to MindManager 9 format. These files can of course can be opened by later versions of MM.

This may in fact be the only way you can do it directly, as the free version of Xmind doesn't seem to allow exporting at all. The Plus version can export to Word, but I'd spend the extra $20 for the Pro version and go direct to MM. However I have no idea how successful the export process is.

Edit: I just thought of another cheaper way - cheaper if you already have an iPhone or iPad, that is. Get a copy of iThoughts or iThoughtsHD for the iPad, which can import and export Xmind and MindManager maps as well as those in a number of other formats. Simply import the Xmind map and export it to MindManager.

There are probably more imitations than with a direct Xmind Pro to MM export - these are discussed here: http://www.ithoughts.co.uk/iThoughtsH...

Incidentally iThoughtsHD is an excellent iPad app in its own right.
Photo of Mike Healey

Mike Healey

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Alex

I had the Xmind Pro but let it expire and jumped to MM for a improved imagery and look without doing my homework.

A little frustrating given the price difference and open source of Xmind.

I note numerous frustations of MM users also wanting freemind imports in MM.

A note to MM development staff - "Come on get it together we have paid the subscriptions!"
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 879 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Unfortunately it appears that Mindjet sees its position as the leading brand of mind mapping software as an excuse for not providing import or export facilities for other programs in this segment.

So if you don't want to shell out for Xmind Pro again and you don't have access to an iPad to use with iThoughtsHD, your only other option is to see if any other cheap or free mind mapping subscription programs or trials of PC-based software can import Xmind files and export to MindManager.

MindMeister (subscription software: http://www.mindmeister.com/help/intro ) for example can do this, but I'm not sure whether you have access to both Xmind and MM formats in the basic Personal version at $5 a month or if you have to get the more expensive Pro or Business versions - and whether you can sign up for only a month.
Photo of Mike Hays

Mike Hays

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
"Unfortunately it appears that Mindjet sees its position as the leading brand of mind mapping software as an excuse for not providing import or export facilities for other programs in this segment."

This mentality is why I'm looking for another mind map alternative.
Photo of ian.watkinson

ian.watkinson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
My thoughts exactly. I would not pay for mindjet again if my company didn't insist. If asked to express a preference, we'd not go with them.

They can't import export to free mind.
They can't import/export to xmind.

They've not worked on a open format to allow interchange.

Old school lock in..
Photo of Vaclav Muchna

Vaclav Muchna

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I wanted to migrate our company from XMind to MM (40+ licenses) ... But If I imagine, that I will have to tell our employees: "Sorry, you can't import your thousands XMind files" - they will kill me.

So we are staying with XMind.
Photo of voppense

voppense

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Totally agree, I bought Mindmanager Pro license and used it a lot but because it is so propriety and only connected to Microsoft I stopped using it. I always say 'When they think they are the dictator and rule the world, revolution is near'. One would expect the small ones to be open as it is in the long run their survival, but yes some will never understand. But must say the big ones did and they will still be there in 20 years.
Photo of Vito Luce

Vito Luce

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
We are using Mindjet Version 11.3.305. Our customers use Xmind. Now we have the difficulty that we can't open the files from our customer. Is there no possibility to Import These xmind files in Mindjet?

Kind regards
Photo of Steven Yeh

Steven Yeh

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I get used to MindJet for several years. recently I persuade my colleagues to try map mapping and they did. unfortunately, they adopt XMind free version. Now we encounter the conversion problem!!!!
why MindJet can't open XMind file??
Photo of TrevorG

TrevorG

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hello, 

Has anyone solved this? Or has MindJet seen fit to create a solution? At $350 for MindJet's MindManager I would think that versatility of formats is a priority. After all if I have "x" number of maps in different formats what incentive do I have to switch to MindJet? I enjoyed making the maps once but to redo them is asking too much.

Anyways enough with my rant, I am posting to see of there is a solution that I have not been able to locate... 

Please Help! 
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1327 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
If someone has Xmind they can export to Mindjet MindManager format
That solves the issue.

See the info on the Xmind website:
XMind supports exporting
By this way, your team can collaborate seamlessly.We support exporting to: Image, Word, PPT, Excel, PDF, Text, RTF, SVG, CSV, HTML, Freemind, Mindjet MindManager Map.
Also support importing from: Word, Freemind, Mindjet MindManager Map.

Photo of TrevorG

TrevorG

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
That is true you can export to mindmanger format using Xmind, but it requires a professional licience to do so.

So is the purposed solution to buy 2 premium liciences? Doesn't seem like a solution I would rest a business case on.

In any case that solution is provided through a competitior with a less expensive product, not by Mindjet. Talk about someone eating your lunch.

My solution was simple in the end, but not one that mind jet will appreciate. I bought a subscription to mindmiester, at $8 per month I get all of the updates as they become available and it will take over three years before it costs me just one licence from Mindjet. Group rates are even more attractive.

By Mindjet, I hope the best for you and those like you. Blockbuster and Polirod come to mind for some reason.

Trevor

• 1327 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
@ TrevorG
I am truly sorry to find that you cannot afford the 99 dollar for the XmindPro version to solve your Export to MindManager requests. Economic crisis must have hit you hard.

But  I am glad you understand that MindManager is a much more sophisticated toolset with a much bigger marketshare especially in business environments (why else do you wish to move your Xmind maps overthere?)

As I found in another post by Olympic, there is another solution available
"
I believe that iThoughtsHD for the iPad will do this for you:

http://www.ithoughts.co.uk/iThoughtsHD/Welcome.html

"

Photo of Alexander Heuwinkel

Alexander Heuwinkel

• 1 Post
  • 4 Reply Likes
ARY that words of you sound really snobby and not likable. It`s really unacceptable to recommend buying an additional full version of a program which cost US$ 100 with covering benefits to be able to use old simple mm mind maps at Mindjet. I`m sure there are many buyers of your software which take care about the hundreds of dollars which they spend for products. 

I`m happy that it are for me only some big Mindmaps and not hundreds which I must export. So I use a "try version" of the software of a competitor for this process but is that a way which other consumers of your software should handle with Mindjet software, too?
(Edited)
Photo of TrevorG

TrevorG

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
@ARY 
Being able to pay a 33% cost increase for a single feature and being willing to pay it are two very different things.

As for the deeper richer toolset of MindManager, I guess I won't be able to determine this for myself, because MindJet has set the bar for entry too high. I would be careful with bragging about their enterprise market share, I am sure RIM felt quite invincible with Blackberry for a time, and we all know how that story ended.   

Just to confirm the alternative solution is to pay for another piece of software (same as the first "solution")?

I have a solution for MindJet, they can engage my consulting company, which specializes in getting businesses to the next level, then we can talk strategy about not only an efficient way to address this issue, which seems to be costing them revenue, but also better approaches their costumers who are only looking to invest in their product. That is of course if they have the desire to change and are willing to receive feedback.

Trevor 

• 1327 Posts
  • 201 Reply Likes
@ TrevorG
Until your last remark I thought you had a serious question / problem.

I do apologize for my misunderstanding and I will not bother to try to help you again.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 879 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes

While I hesitate to re-enter this conversation which seems to be getting a bit "shouty", but I can see both sides of this debate.

As I said earlier, Mindjet obviously see their role as the leading mind mapping player as meaning that they don't have to worry about playing nicely with their competitors. And like a lot of software companies (Apple, Microsoft, Google, etc) they would love to create a "walled garden" around their products which makes it difficult for users to mix and match formats, programs and cloud storage systems across platforms.

Now I have criticised Mindjet and others for adopting this approach as being very short sighted. It can also be argued that Mindjet's dominance of mind mapping is not nearly as strong as it once was, but in their defence they still have the largest share of the mind mapping market, at least on the PC desktop.

The problem is that the rest of the market is so fragmented. This means that Mindjet were to make MindManager more "open" they would have to decide which of their many competitors' formats to provide import and export facilities for, and then keep these up to date as they and their competitors added or changed features. It is likely that Mindjet have considered the costs of doing this outweigh the benefits of attracting users from other mind mapping programs.

Also it's not like Mindjet's position on this is a new decision, a sudden downgrading foisted on unsuspecting users by Mindjet (yes they have form for that, but that is a subject for another time). I don't know about the early versions of MindManager, but at least since version 8 import and export options have always been very limited.

People might not like Mindjet's approach but they can't claim it's a surprise. And if you are planning to purchase a an expensive bit of new software with the intention of using it with a lot of files that you have created using another application, then it's your responsibility to find out if the new program can open these files before you buy. Criticising Mindjet over this is a bit like berating Subaru because you've suddenly discovered that the sports wheels from your old Ford won't fit the new Impresa you want to buy (or worse still, have already bought).

Like others I would like Mindjet to provide more import and export facilities, but we should have the same expectations of its competitors. At this stage they do seem to have it easier than Mindjet - it appears they only really need to cater for one file format. If they can import and export MindManager files, everyone seems satisfied.

It pains me to say this and will no doubt annoy a lot of people but it might be best to make the best out of this situation by turning the MindManager format into something a bit like the role that the MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint file formats have as the de facto established standard for office software. Even though Microsoft's market share is declining, an acid test of any new third party word processor, spreadsheet program or office suite from a competitor is still whether it can accurately read and write Word, Excel and/or other MS Office formats.

Adopting MindManager as the equivalent standard format, a lingua franca for mind mapping files, would go a long way towards resolving compatibility issues. True, Mindjet might end up not having to get off their backsides to address the issue but life would also be simpler for their competitors as well. They would need to provide only one format for importing and exporting files to make mind maps truly portable.

Photo of Hervé Abat

Hervé Abat

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
All XMind can import MindManager Maps and XMindPro can export MindManager Maps. I'm using both at the same time (both Pro versions) and I can simply tell that for my personal and daily needs, I'm using MindManager Pro and when I need to communicate my maps to the outside world I use XMind Pro and others can simply use XMind to access my maps. However, I still believe that MindManager Pro is the best, simply because of Microsoft Office Ribbon, similar icons and full compatibility with all MS Office Apps.
Photo of Hervé Abat

Hervé Abat

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
One more thing and this is going to be a clear differenciator (at least for me).

XMind Maps take more disk size for MindManager Maps (imported) compared to the native or exported MindManager maps (for managing the same contents).

- For one of my most complex maps, XMindMap is 30x bigger in size compared to the same MindManager Map.
- A more medium complexity map shows an XMind Map which is 119x bigger than the MindManager Map.
- Finally from a very simple Map, XMind still needs 5x more persisted storage space on disk compared to a MindManager Map.

Those sizes were obtained after XMind Exports to MindManager Format (and not with Native Maps). At least the export seems to be of very good quality because initially I started to work with XMind from MindManager MindMap Imports and I fuly (I really mean fully) recovered my MindManager Maps after an Export from XMind.

MindManager Maps size on disk varied very few while XMind initially built bigger maps after import. I should add that my maps were not containing any picture, embedded binary, .. so I'm still being unexplained why Xmind takes so much size when working from MindManager Maps.

I've never used XMind from scratch to build Maps so I cannot tell if this is linked to the XMind import (from MindManager Maps) or not at all.
Photo of Serge

Serge

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
This discussion is all well and nice (even if it is getting a little catty).

The only reason I'm even looking at MindJet is because I need mobile support (specifically Android tablets) and they have it. Unfortunately, I also have a large investment in XMind files, which doesn't have mobile support. So far, I haven't found any solution to bridge the two: XMind and Android tablet support.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.
Photo of Daniel

Daniel

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Hey guys. If you don't have an IPAD, you can also go for ConceptDraw. It can import xmind, freemind, etc. and export to MindManager in a 30 days Trial Mode.

http://www.conceptdraw.com/

Apart from that it's a really good mindmapping software.
Photo of mattrob33

mattrob33

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Wow, really disappointed by Mindjet on this one. The analogy to Google/Apple/Microsoft & a "walled garden" is all well and good - from a business strategy it makes sense, even if it is irritating to some customers. BUT... As a business strategy, it would make more sense to give Mindjet IMPORT capabilities & just not let it export. Not having import capabilities from other major competitors creates huge product switching costs for potential customers (as is clearly demonstrated by several people who have posted on this thread). I don't think anyone is going to try to straddle 2 different products. Read this thread again... The requests for an IMPORT feature are from Xmind customers wanting to move to Mindjet. They are trying to preserve their DATA, not their Xmind subscription.

Personally, I've used Mindjet for a few years and I love it. But there are a lot of free mind maps online that I would love to download but that are in Xmind format. As much as I love Mindjet, if I find another product that will import my Mindjet maps AND let me import all the free Xmind maps, I'll be using it, even if it isn't quite as sophisticated as Mindjet. Brand loyalty only goes so far.
(Edited)
Photo of matt.wilkie

matt.wilkie

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Don't know how long it's been like this, but a simple select all >> copy >> paste operation works. Tested with Xmind Windows (free version) and  Mind Manager 15 Pro.

There's no formatting or notes and so on, so  a full import is still very desirable, but at least the nodes and structure are intact.
Photo of Ignacio Garcia

Ignacio Garcia

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I too can fully support the need of importing Xmind files in MindManager. Have used Xmind for a couple of years and collected many maps, which I would need to work on in MindManager 16. I cannot understand the business logic of not allowing Xmind users to migrate to MindManager!
Regards,
Photo of Wilbert Hirsch

Wilbert Hirsch

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yeah - same problem here - just trying to import Xmind files (also special exported for mind manager) - but nothing happens. Will probably not pursue the triel...
Photo of Edmundo Oliver

Edmundo Oliver

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
After purchasing the license for MindManager (and believing that they were the best -can't help to notice that XMind and XMind Zen CAN import and export files, but OK) I tried whatever other user would do in his desperation:

DISCLAIMER: I am doing this on a Mac

Opened my XMind file with Zen, did a Cmd+A (To select All), then the usual Cmd+C (To copy) and then switched to a blank page on MindManager, did the paste thing and... YEAH, BABY!!! It actually copied all the branches (I still had to fix relations, and had to fix the 1st subtopic)

So, not streamlined, not the most efficient, and yet you can do this.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 829 Posts
  • 209 Reply Likes

Yes - as suggested earlier, it is always worth at least trying a simple copy and paste of the whole map from another mind mapping program format into MindManager. Another option is to find a common format which the other program can export to and MM can import from, such as Excel.

In the years since this thread started there have been some other developments, including the release of mindmapping products which are useful low-cost applications in their own right but, more importantly from a MindManager user's perspective, can read and write multiple mapping formats, including MM.

The best example is iThoughts, which is available in Windows, Mac and iOS versions. All of these can read a number of formats, though (somewhat annoyingly) the Windows version is the most restricted in terms of formats it can write to. However from the perspective of an MM user wanting to import files this isn't an issue - simply open the map in iThoughts and it will usually appear, regardless of the original format. You can then save the map as an MM file, usually with more features retained and translated than through a simple cut and paste.

I confess this has changed my position on this issue somewhat. I now tend to agree with matrob33's comment from three years ago that Mindjet should do a lot better, at least on the import front. After all, if a small company is capable of creating a $50 product like iThoughts which can read multiple formats successfully, surely Mindjet/Corel can do this as well with MM.

Photo of Edmundo Oliver

Edmundo Oliver

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
So is Mindjet merely dropping the ball and just keep the base? I am not into Corel since the early days of Draw vs. Adobe PS, (when the time came to choose, I didn't go with Corel, I went to Affinity. This is not right, because laziness just will make the user go away