How to sync mindmap updates between mindmanager 2012 for windows and mindjet connect free ed

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
how do you coordinate files between mindmanager and mindjet connect? Once I move a mindmap from mindmanager to mindjet connect and share it how can I return to mindmanager and have the changes that I make there sync with the mindjet connect version? The only solution I can think of is to do a copy all on the mindmanager version, delete all on the mindjet connect version and then paste all from the more current mindmanager mindmanager to maintain the shared members without having to delete the mindjet connect version and load a new mindjet connect map and then resubscribe the shared members.
Photo of Doug Cameron

Doug Cameron

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1032 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
I think the intent is once you have uploaded to Connect this is your Master copy. You can open and edit in MindManager 2012.(Use the Mindjet Connect button bottom right on MindManager 2012 screen).

You can also Check Out a map (which stops other editing it and allows you to work with the map offline) and Check In returns it to Connect.

You may wish to save local copies from Connect as backups.
Photo of Brittney Mazzetta

Brittney Mazzetta

• 1981 Posts
  • 68 Reply Likes
If you are in MindManager working on a map that you want to access in Connect, go to File, Save As. You will see an option at the bottom that says "Save in Mindjet Connect." You will then be able to access that map in Connect. If you make changes in Connect and want to have these changes reflected in MindManager, save the file locally on your computer. When you open that file, it will launch in MindManager 2012. I hope this helps!
Photo of Hans Smit

Hans Smit

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I can't find the option 'Save in Mindjet Connect'. I use MM8.
Photo of Doug Cameron

Doug Cameron

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
1) It is my understanding that Mindmanager has functionality that Mindjet Connect does not have. So if I want to utilize that level of functionality does the map that I copy up to the MindConnect cloud retain that functionality so that if a user downloads it from Mindjet Connect and then loads it into their desktop Mindmanager that they will see the higher level of functionality?

2) If I find it easier to work with my mind map in Mindmanager the only way for me to update the version in Mindjet Connect is to copy the individual updates to the Mindjet Connect map or copy the entire map from Mindmanager and replace the entire mind map in Mindjet Connect to sync the two files and maintain the sharing on the Mindjet Connect copy correct?
Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1032 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
1) Yes. But links to local files, Excel ranges, etc. on your PC will not work for them.

2a) Upload the file to Connect. Then Checkout to MindManager 2012. Edit offline and Check In when finished. Other users can view on connect but not edit.

2b) Edit the Connect version from MindManager 2012. If its shared, other users can be editing at the same time as you.

There is no way to merge to MindManager files in the sense you are writing about. You can give people parts (branches) of a map to edit and then recombine those parts.
Photo of kilucas

kilucas

• 21 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
For me, my local copies are my masters. I need to be able to work with them offline, they contain links to local files, and I need to be able to back them up and be able to restore them along with all my other files.

I use Connect only to share them for now.

It sounds as if there's no way to indicate when a map should be synched between Connect and the desktop versions automatically as would be helpful if someone else has edited a map on Connect and I need the updated copy locally.

Furthermore, if I co-edit a map on Connect with someone then I not only have to save it on Connect but I have to remember to save it locally. And before such sessions, I have to remember to upload my latest desktop copy in case I've changed it locally.

Currently I look for Connect edits by other people via the file list's "modified by" column. If I last edited it on Connect then I don't necessarily spot that the Connect version has got ahead of my desktop version, unfortunately.

So, if there were a way to signify that certain maps should be kept synchronized between the desktop and Connect, that would be great. But I'd want to be able to signify when a map should not by synched in case I'm working with a new co-editor who could damage a map inadvertently.
Photo of Andrew Wilcox

Andrew Wilcox, Champion

• 1032 Posts
  • 177 Reply Likes
In the Business version you can check maps in and out, stopping others from editing. You can edit them locally, check in, then allow others to see the latest edition and edit if they have the rights. When maps are checked out they can still be viewed via Connect.
Photo of lenarr

lenarr

• 3 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I just upgraded to MM 2012 from MM6, which I loved, and have to say I'm very disappointed with the klunkiness of the cloud interface. Like kilukas I do most of my work on my desktop and am not as concerned with sharing as much as I am with backing up to the cloud.

The fact that I don't have a sync button on the MM Windows interface that allows me to immediately upload the changes I make to the desktop annoys me to no end.

Rather, I'm forced to remember to save every map on the deskop to which I make a change to Connect, and forced to see version numbers changing on my desk interface.

Give me the choice to turn off checkout -- if I'm only working by myself on a map, why do I need to go online all the time and checkout the map -- and allow autosync of those maps for which I've turned it off.

Please, I love the fact that you're heading toward the cloud, but this is still a half cloud. Perhaps take some hints from Evernote's sync button and configurable autosync?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.