IF formula or macro

• Question
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
Is there anyone who has made a macro that makes it possible to use IF formulas in MindManager? Does anyone know if there will be more formulas available in the future? 
Photo of Tor Einar Enne

Tor Einar Enne

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1028 Posts
  • 250 Reply Likes
I’m not a macro writer so I’m not sure if this is possible to use them to manipulate formulas in this way.

I agree though that it’s frustrating that MindManager’s formula feature does not include Boolean conditional If-Then-Else statements. However, it is possible in MM2019 to construct these after a fashion by using SmartRules to read and write topic properties, providing an indirect way to manipulate MindManager formulas.

I’m about to post an article on my blog about how to do this - when I’ve published it I’ll come back here and post a link.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1028 Posts
  • 250 Reply Likes
Here's the first in a series of articles I'm writing on my blog on integrating tags and topic properties, and using SmartRules with the latter to construct If-Then-Else statements: https://sociamind.com/2019/04/04/mindmanager-integrations-1-tags-and-icons-to-topic-properties-the-b...
Photo of Leon Grekin

Leon Grekin

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Tor, I've written an expression using the MAX() Function to emulate an IF statement. See attached:

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1028 Posts
  • 250 Reply Likes
Hi Leon, this is very clever - it took me a while to get my head around it - but a bit cumbersome.

You can achieve the same effect in a simpler way by using SmartRules to create the Value topic property shown in your example. Provided you were ok with the value appearing in the same topic, you could use the following rule:

When you think about it all SmartRules are IF statements, especially when you use them to create another topic property value. You can even stack them to create complex IF-THEN-ELSE statements

If you want the IF value to appear on another topic then all you need is a formula with a simple MAX statement attached to that topic:

By the way, thanks for demonstrating in your example the usefulness of "topic" as a range. I'd always skipped over that bit in reviewing the Formula section of the User Guide.
(Edited)
Photo of Leon Grekin

Leon Grekin

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi Alex,

thank you very much for your reply. I had never used SmartRules and it's much much more simpler. Also thanks for making it really easy to follow.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1028 Posts
  • 250 Reply Likes

Thanks Leon for your kind words.

I've now posted the third article in my MindManager Integrations series which deals directly with IF-THEN functions based on SmartRules: https://sociamind.com/2019/05/07/mindmanager-integrations-3-the-logic-revolution/ It's a bit technical but that was unavoidable given both the complexity and potential of this interesting way of working with MindManager. I'd welcome any feedback you may have.