If I click on the gallery button MindManager freeze...

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • In Progress
Hi there,
I've a problem to add icons and symbols to my maps. If I click on the gallery button to select an icon, MindManager freeze (please check the video).
I've send two times a request to the support but without a result.
Therefore I've cleaned up my PC: Uninstal MindManager, delete all AppData-Files and clean up the registry. After that I installed the MindManager 2020 Demo, clicking on the button freeze again.
The next try: Using another Windows User. Here MindManager works fine.
Therefore I analysed the registry and I found
Computer\HKEY_USERS\<my user>\Software\Mindjet\MindManager\20\Template\Packages\Library
I've changed the path to another path in Windows user library, but the problem is still there.

If I start MindManager with an other User (the Test-User) it works fine, too. If I strart MindManager as Adminstrator the error occurse again.

Any Ideas to solve the problem?

Greetings
Benjamin
Photo of Benjamin

Benjamin

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 127 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I've nearly the same issue.
MindManager freezes for some seconds if I click on icons from an older version or individual icons that I added to the library
Photo of Benjamin

Benjamin

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Unfortunately my MindManager freeze longer than a few seconds.
The problem occurs since I've added some individual icons. I thought, that the clean up of old App-Data solved the problem.
Photo of Benjamin

Benjamin

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
If I delete the "GER" library in AppData (C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Mindjet\MindManager\20\Library) the folder would be created after startup MindManager.
The rgesitry key is override, so that the path is the AppData path (and not my customized path).

Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 127 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Hi Benjamin,
There is a problem with the size of icons. No need to clean up registry.
It came up with MM2020.
It's reported to the support team.
In sorry
Best, Andreas
Photo of Benjamin

Benjamin

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Andreas,
okay, I've had the problem with MindManager 2018, too.
Have you an idea when the problem is solved?
Greetings
Benjamin

Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 127 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Good question, next question please
Photo of Benjamin

Benjamin

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
:-D
Photo of David Walsh

David Walsh, Official Rep

• 159 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
Benjamin,

Thanks for reporting this. I didn't see it reported in our case system but I have opened up a case for you and will check into this and escalate to our Europe team and our product team.

Thanks
David 
MindManager Customer Support 
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1249 Posts
  • 332 Reply Likes
Hi David,

I've had a similar problem at least since MM 2018. MindManager freezes when I select the More Icons option under Insert Icons on the ribbon, or when I click on the Library tab in the task pane.

After about 10 seconds or so I will get a MindManager Not Responding message but if I leave things alone then eventually, after 20 or 20 seconds, the program will come back to life and the library will open.

I'm wondering if this has something to do with the process of selecting the library also opening the default images folder, even if the icons option is initially selected. In my case the images folder is very large - over 1TB - and it will take a few seconds to open fully even when selected directly in File Explorer (though not quite as long as opening the library in MM).
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 108 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Hi Alex, this issue was reported and fixed with service pack for MM18.

I reported the freezing with icons again yesterday
Photo of Benjamin

Benjamin

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Andreas,
did you know, where I can get the service pack?
Orignial I use MM18. I've tried it with MM20 yesterday.

@David: Thank you. I've two ticket numbers, both without a solution. Do you need the numbers?
Greetings
Benjamin
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 108 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Hi Benjamin,

Start MindManager
Ribbon Help
Check for updates

Www.mindmanager.com/en/support/download-library

For all MindManager versions
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1249 Posts
  • 332 Reply Likes
Hi Andreas,

I've always installed the latest versions and service packs and yet I've always had this problem, from at least MM18 up to and including the latest version of MM20. In fact, in testing this I neglected to close the Library tab on the task pane, which led to another manifestation of the same issue.

If I leave the Library tab on the task pane selected when I shut down MM and then restart the program, it will remember the Library tab selection and hang during startup for about 20 seconds at the point the Templates screen appears. Eventually it will let me choose a template and finish the startup process..

This behaviour does not occur if I select any other tab on the task pane before closing MM - only the Library tab affects the program this way.

As I said I'd always assumed this had something to do with the size of my images folder. I don't like it but I use external images relatively rarely so I've become used to it and therefore never got around to trying to fix it. In fact I'd almost forgotten about this issue until this thread appeared.
(Edited)
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 108 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Hi Alex,
Good to talk about this. Now it's reported and hopefully fixed with MM21.
The issue wasn't in the support queue, because the team from MindManager always works with standard definition and not with external libraries like we and our clients are doing it
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1249 Posts
  • 332 Reply Likes
Thanks Andreas.

While MM could open large image folders a bit faster, I accept that there will always be a lag given that File Explorer takes a few seconds to open them as well.

One very simple solution to this would be to provide a way for MM users to easily specify an alternative images folder other than the default Pictures one. If there is a simple way to do this at the moment I'm yet to find it. I'm not sure how to change Library folders, especially as deleting a folder removes it from the disk, and there doesn't seem to be an option to add an existing folder.
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 108 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Hi Alex,
Do you know the package folder in the options?
With this feature you can easily add different icon and image folders
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1249 Posts
  • 332 Reply Likes
Thanks Andreas. I didn't realise you could add image folders via the package folder option. However, I'm still not sure how you can remove an existing folder such as the default image folder from the Library without deleting it entirely.

The MM Help is quite explicit in that regard: "The folder and its contents will be removed from the Library pane and from disk."
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 108 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
That's not possible! That's all.
Photo of Benjamin

Benjamin

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Andreas,
thanks for the update link. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem.
If I change the package folder in the options, it freeze too.
Greetings
Benjamin
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1249 Posts
  • 332 Reply Likes
Hi Benjamin,

When you say "change the package folder in the options" did you just add another folder or did you delete the current folder as well? And if you did delete it, was it also deleted from the disk?
(Edited)
Photo of Benjamin

Benjamin

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Alex,
I could not delete default folder. I've tried to change it with the registry modification, but MM change the registry after startup and create the default folder new.
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1854 Posts
  • 321 Reply Likes
The package folder option allows you to use your own Image of Icon folder from within MindManager. No need tot delete other folders of the mindmanager standard library.

Take care though that you select the type. If you add a package folder for images, icons, backgrounds etc, you confuse the software and it will slow down.
No freeze has ever happened to me though, and I never changed anything in registry. In fact I don't know what that is.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1249 Posts
  • 332 Reply Likes
Hi Ary,

Thanks - that's interesting. I don't recall adding my default image folder as a package folder within MM but it seems I must have done so some time ago.

You have also confirmed my suspicions that this could be responsible for slowing MM down. My question however is how do I remove this folder as a package folder without removing it entirely from the hard drive, given the warning in Help about this occurring when a folder is deleted.

• 1854 Posts
  • 321 Reply Likes
To delete a packaged folder from your library just go to Options>Package folders again and say remove. It informs you that this just removes the template from MM library an does NOT remove from disk)
I use the package folders all the time to be able to add any of my own images fast to my maps.
Note Again please if you add a packaged folder to access from within your MM library take care to use a setting just for the type in that folder. EG Images. Again, If you set the type to All Resources Types it will slow down.
(Edited)
Photo of Benjamin

Benjamin

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Ary,
thanks for your post.
I've tried this way for the package folders befor I've tried the registry change. Both - registry and package folder - freeze my MM...

• 1854 Posts
  • 321 Reply Likes
Nothing freezes overhere.
Obvious you have an issue as Andreas has created a case at Mindjet support.
You will have to wait until they have a solution.

Maybe it is because you use a different language system? Maybe ...?

But can you explain why an enduser like me would ever want to go to something like registry?
I don't know what it is, what it is for and why I would go there , (although I do know  and use MM for many years and trained thousands of students in their use of MindManager).
Photo of Benjamin

Benjamin

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I've added a few of my own pictures. Since then, MM freeze, if I  click on the library button. You're right, I'm waiting until my problem is solved.

In Germany you would call me a "Tekki", a Person who is affine with IT and IT hacks. In my job as an SAP project manager I've learned a lot of thinks about windows and the registry.
As I realized, that the dump of MM is not typical I started to analyse the problem. If you do this, you will find some registry keys.

Find more Information about the registry here.

Be aware: If you are not sure, what you are doing in the registry, don't change something ;-)

• 1854 Posts
  • 321 Reply Likes
Thanks for the info. After reading it, I understand why I never go there. ;-)
Photo of Benjamin

Benjamin

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
:-D
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1249 Posts
  • 332 Reply Likes
Thanks Ary for the explanation. However, when I check the package folder option the only one that appears is MindManager (All Resource Types), which can't be removed.

I can only assume this must have loaded my default Pictures folder automatically. I'm not sure if this is a default option, but the upshot is that it seems the Pictures folder can be removed only via the Library tab on the Task Pane. I'm not game to try this in light of the warning message in MM Help about folders being deleted permanently when folders are removed from the library this way.

• 1854 Posts
  • 321 Reply Likes
Your pictures can be added to the MM standard library one by one via the librarypane>images>add image.
I do not recall any MMversion that could do this for a complete private pictures folder. You can remove them one by one as well. I tried that with a duplicated images that i renamed first, and it works.

However, you can add those private pictures folder(s) to the library via Package folders and you can remove those. If removed they are NOT removed from your harddrive etc.

• 1854 Posts
  • 321 Reply Likes
Your pictures can be added to the MM standard library one by one via the librarypane>images>add image.
I do not recall any MMversion that could do this for a complete private pictures folder. You can remove them one by one as well. I tried that with a duplicated images that i renamed first, and it works.

However, you can add those private pictures folder(s) to the library via Package folders and you can remove those. If removed they are NOT removed from your harddrive etc.
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 127 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Hi David,
This problem was reported to the support team and it was a reported bug during the beta for MM21.
It occurs with individual icons or icons from older MindManager versions.
Best,
Andreas
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 127 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Hi Benjamin, MindManager Enterprise come with a Large Scale Deployment Description for Enterprise users. There you'll find all the registry entries and keys.
Photo of Benjamin

Benjamin

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you :-)
I've found some informations in this document befor I opend the conversation here.
Photo of Marian Kocmanek

Marian Kocmanek, Official Rep

• 466 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
Hello All, 

Marian from the MindManager Product Management Team here. I am reviewing the comments on this thread and will ask our Quality Assurance Team to investigate. 

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. 
Photo of Marian Kocmanek

Marian Kocmanek, Official Rep

• 466 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
Benjamin, 

One thing to try in MindManager 2020 is to hide the Windows Pictures folder from your Image Library. 

In MindManager options, please disable this setting  - Options>View> and uncheck 'Pictures Folder in Image Library'. 

Please let me know if that helps. 

Best, 
-Marian
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1278 Posts
  • 354 Reply Likes
Thanks Marian - that's solved my problem at least, as well as the question of how my Pictures folder became included in the Image Library.

As a suggestion for the next version, perhaps this tickbox could offer the option to choose an alternative pictures folder. The main Pictures folder could be offered as the default but with the user having the option to choose a sub-folder, or another folder entirely, without having to load a new Package Folder.
Photo of Benjamin

Benjamin

• 13 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hi Marian,

thank you very much. This hack solved the problem :-)

Greetings
Benjamin