Import PDF bookmark as nodes into Mindmanager. Possible?

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • (Edited)
Hi,
Does anyone know if it is possible to import PDF bookmark as nodes in Mindmanager 2017, similarly to what is showed in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsN0szdMLgE&feature=youtu.be ?
Any tip on how to import any element of a PDF file is very welcomed!
Thanks,
Carlos_Cadu
Photo of Cadu

Cadu

• 31 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes

I don't think you can import bookmarks in PDFs as nodes but you can specify page numbers by adding the following (without the quotation marks) to the end of the PDF file's address - in this case the target is page 10: "#page=10".

This feature is a little flaky and in my experience seems to work better with web addresses rather than local ones. The MAP add-in I mentioned in one of my other posts has a Link to PDF Page# which simplifies the process of adding the page number and may work more reliably with local files.

I agree though that the Simpleminds approach as shown in the video you posted handles this a lot better and something like this should be incorporated into MindManager.

Photo of aHa!Coaching

aHa!Coaching, Champion

• 1192 Posts
  • 118 Reply Likes
We have good experiences with importing PDF's in MindManager by first converting them to Word using https://cloudconvert.com/ to convert the PDF to MS Word and then importing the Word file into MindManager.
Photo of Siavesh Mamle

Siavesh Mamle

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
You can use link to URL/ File Path and then define the pdf address like this :

"   file:///C:/Users/{username}/Desktop/File.pdf#page=10 "

Make sure that you write the same path for Link Target and Link Title.

(Edited)
Photo of grant nelson

grant nelson

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Hi, I can open the PDF, but not to the page number using the above concept. 

Can anyone help me figure this out?  Its key to my use of mind manager to be able to link to specific pages or bookmarks in PDF on my hardisk.

Thanks
Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1803 Posts
  • 300 Reply Likes
Whether the links will go to specific pages in your pdf is completely dependant on how intelligent that pdf is.
Many pdf's are just a pdf with one very long page.
Some pdf's, mostly created with a little bit more expensive pdf writers allow access to page numbers.

Photo of grant nelson

grant nelson

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
All my PDFs have individual pages, and are either commercial products, or create using quality professional editing tools.  So that is not the issue.

Does the format suggested above work for you (or anyone else reading this)?

I will try a few more out to see if it still might be some similar problem.

Thanks so far,

Grant
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
For some reason this always seems to work more consistently with links to specific pages in PDFs that are online rather than stored locally, as I noted in my response three years ago.
Photo of grant nelson

grant nelson

• 10 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Yes, for on-line files it works, but I am too impatient to wait for the file to load from the cloud ;-) 

I did find out (and others might have presumed) that this does work OK with files if I use the built in browser.  That will be good enough for now, since I am only viewing the content and not editing it.  Here is a good outline of the solution, plus another bit more complicated one that would open the file to the page in the app of my choice  http://advmindmaps.com/2016/08/21/pdf-page-link/

This discussion (of which you where indeed part of!) covers the topic well.  https://community.mindjet.com/mindjet/topics/hyperlink_to_specific_page_in_pdf
I wonder if the Olympic add-on addresses the issue better for opening pdfs to a page in external browers, but better yet the application of choice (or the OS default app)

Thanks all for your help. 

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
I have found a way to incorporate links in MindManager that open at bookmarked pages in locally saved PDFs using PDF-Xchange Editor, albeit with a few limitations.

PDF-Xchange has the ability to export bookmarks as clickable links in an HTML file (my ageing version of Adobe Acrobat can't do this and I'm not sure if recent ones are any better). This file can be saved and added as a link to a MindManager topic. You can click on this link and when it opens click on the link to the bookmark you want.

The limitations are as follows:

1. Unlike your experience with the standard PDF page link, this approach appears to work only if MM is set to open the HTML file in a browser outside MM.

2. Unfortunately extracting the individual bookmarks and saving them separately does not seem to work. The links appear to function only within the HTML file.

3. Exporting the bookmarks from PDF-Xchange is an all or nothing thing - everything that is bookmarked gets exported. You can't select a subset of bookmarks, or bookmarks down to a certain level, nor can you edit them within the program before export. 

Edit: You can delete the bookmarks within PDF-Xchange that you don't want before exporting the remaining bookmarks as an HTML file. 

4. You can edit the exported HTML file in a text editor, but this is tricky to do, especially if you want, say, to use headings only down to a certain level.

I'll experiment with this approach a bit more.
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
Adobe's documentation for Acrobat addresses this issue (at https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/kb/link-html-pdf-page-acrobat.html):

To target an HTML link to a specific page in a PDF file, add #page=[page number] to the end of the link's URL.

For example, this HTML tag opens page 4 of a PDF file named myfile.pdf:

<A HREF="http://www.example.com/myfile.pdf#page=4">;

Note: If you use UNC server locations (\\servername\folder) in a link, set the link to open to a set destination using the procedure in the following section. If you use URLs containing local hard drive addresses (c:\folder\), you cannot link to page numbers or set destinations. With Adobe Acrobat 7.0 products, a link to a page number works only if you use HTTP or HTTPS locations. UNC server locations will only work if you use the set destinations method outlined in the following section of this document.

I find this statement intriguing because when you export bookmarks to an HTML file using PDF-Xchange using the method I described in my previous comment you can successfully and reliably access a link to a specific page on a locally stored file. However, it seems this approach is a bit less consistent if you are using links that are stored elsewhere, like in a MindManager map.

(Edited)