Import resources

• Idea
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • (Edited)
Greetings!

I plan a project and want to import a list of resources (several tens) from either text file or from the Microsoft Outlook/Exchange/SharePoint server instead of typing all in.

It would be great to have an Import button in the following dialog:

Does it make sense?

Thank you.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 224 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 114 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Hi, ressources are organized from the Map-Index and they stored in the map.
You can import them from a SharePoint site or from a word file. In a future version also from a Excel file.

Best, Andreas
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 224 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
OK.
How do I import resources from a SharePoint site or from a word file to MM 2020?
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 114 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Export a map with one ressource to word
Check in word the formating of the ressource.
Add your Ressources and format them with the same style
Save the word
Import it in MindManager
Save the Map-Index as template

Best, Andreas
Www.lerchertrain.com
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 224 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
OK.
The route is not straightforward at all...
Why do I need to save the Map-Index as a template?
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 114 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
This is a secret work around
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 224 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Hm...
What is a Map-Index and how do I save it?

Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 114 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 224 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
???
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 114 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Do explain this isn't done in a second on my cell phone
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1253 Posts
  • 335 Reply Likes
Andreas, this is a neat trick. I have written on my blog before about exporting MM maps to Word then using the MM formatting styles in Word as a vehicle to send task lists back to Word (and a similar approach for importing Outlook categories), but I've never thought of it as a way to import resource lists.

Andrey, to expand on Andreas' method, create a dummy map with a single task and one resource on that task (I'll call the resource "Andrey"), then send the map to Word. In doing so, make sure that Resources are ticked under Export Task Attributes.

The document created in Word should have a borderless table under the task which will have a cell with a row with "Resource: Andrey" which will be formatted with the MM Resource style. To add resources from an existing list the simplest approach is to copy and paste them into that row (paste using Keep Text Only) separated by commas (it doesn't matter if the text wraps in the table cell). This should ensure the whole string of resources is formatted with the MM Resource style.

Set up a new map in MM and then send the dummy task with the additional resources back to this map. The task should appear in the map as a topic with the all the resources assigned to it, and these resources should appear in the Resources list in the Map Index

One problem is that it is unlike tag and icon groups it is difficult to simply copy the resources list and paste it into another map. This is why Andreas suggested creating a map template based on the map; any new map created using this template will automatically include the expanded resources list in the Map Index.

There is however an easier way - simply copy the dummy topic itself and paste it somewhere out of the way in any new map. Doing this will automatically add the resources to that maps' Map Index. When you have completed the map you can leave the dummy topic there or delete it; if you do the latter then any resources attached to the dummy topic but not used elsewhere in the map will disappear from the Map Index.

(Edited)
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 224 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Got it!
Thank you.
Work like a charm.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1253 Posts
  • 335 Reply Likes
Thanks Andrey, I'm glad that it worked well.
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 114 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
You can also send an outlook calender event to your map. All invited people will be added to your ressource list.

But still, we need a easy way to import resources from any list like .csv
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 224 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Yes, CSV or any text delimited file would be nice.
Also, it would be wonderful to have the capability of adding resources from Exchange/Outlook via a dialog similar to the following one:

Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 114 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
There is a connection to SharePoint sites. Don't think MindManager will add a linker to Exchange.

@MarianKocmanek - what do you think?
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 224 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Where does the SharePoint connector live?
Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 114 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
In the enterprise version
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1253 Posts
  • 335 Reply Likes
I agree that direct import from a CSV file or similar would be great, as well as an easier way to copy Resources between maps. However, in the interim there are relatively simple ways to convert a list of resources in a CSV file into a Word document which can be imported using the technique described earlier.
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 224 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
Ha, I found another super-easy way to add the resources --- paste them to the Resources text box from Windows clipboard and they will be automatically added to the Resource list:

Photo of Andreas Lercher

Andreas Lercher

• 114 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Yes, that's true. I forgot about that easy way. Thank you
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1253 Posts
  • 335 Reply Likes
Wow - that is very easy. You have to have a topic highlighted though for the Resources text box to become active, and that topic then effectively becomes the dummy topic for the Resources list.

Still, that's easier than adding tags, where you can't do this (though the MAP add-in lets you add subtopics as tags).