Importing events which are accurate in schedule view

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
I would like to import outlook events into the Gantt chart as deadlines, and create subtasks from there.  

So far, best I can do is to import the events into a timeline.  But the timeline (while carrying the info itself over) doesn't seem to reflect the dates in the schedule, nor can I just drop the deadlines into a Gantt chart as they are not "tasks" (<--this is absurd to me, it seems easiest to create the deadlines then drop subtasks from there.  Am I missing something?). 

Thanks for any help. 
Photo of alexisfaye

alexisfaye

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1076 Posts
  • 261 Reply Likes
MindManager imports items from Outlook as they are classified in the latter - events, tasks, contacts, emails, etc, with the relevant information mainly stored as topic properties. This allows these items to be synced between the two programs correctly - event items with the event folder and so on, but also means unfortunately that it is very difficult to change the topic type after importation or syncing.

The situation is particularly confusing when it comes to the relationship between topics sent from (and to) Outlook as events and those sent between the programs as tasks. Event topics sent from Outlook to MM will show start and end date and time data for the event as topic properties in the imported topic in MM, but this isn't displayed as task info and as far as MM is concerned these events aren't tasks (the situation is slightly different when you send a MM task as an event to Outlook but I won't discuss this here because the end result is even more confusing!).

Actual tasks exchanged between the two programs are treated a bit differently by MM to the way it handles events or other Outlook items. Tasks are recognised as tasks and the task info relating to start and due dates and times is retained as such after importing tasks from Outlook or syncing the other way, and not as topic properties. This information can be edited at either end and the changes will be reflected properly at the other end. The only thing which is stored as a topic property is Progress, but this can also be edited easily at either end and synced successfully.

Unfortunately I can't see an easy way to convert imported Outlook events to tasks within MM. You could however convert individual events in Outlook to tasks in Outlook by dragging them to the task icon at the bottom of the Navigation pane, and then send them to MM. Someone has also written code to automate conversion to tasks within Outlook for multiple events: https://www.extendoffice.com/documents/outlook/5256-convert-appointment-to-task-outlook.html

Alternatively you could export the events as a spreadsheet and then import this into MM as tasks. Either way, this is a one-way conversion: once the events are converted to tasks and imported into MM as such they will be synced with Outlook as tasks, and not events.