Importing Excel into Mindmanager 2012

• Question
  • Updated 6 years ago
  • Answered
I imagine that this question has been asked before, but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on any good resources for this. I'm looking for a method or and add-in that will allow me to import data pivot table formatted data from excel and have some control over how the data will behave. Ideally, I'd like to be able to have the import configure descriptive tags, (i.e. icons and/or text tags and have a roll-up function for numerical data such as financial budget or sales data. Most of the excel add-ins I've seen are focused on importing task information and the existing functionality in importing excel information is... well... lousy.

I know that such a thing is impossible, but I recently stumbled upon a youtube video
(see link: https://www.youtube.com/watchv=RZwP_03...)

that seems to do exactly what I want. I've tried to contact the developer, but have gotten no response.

If this works like I think it does, it could be a really killer way to present pivot table information.

Can anyone point me in a direction?

Wayne Daigle
wdaigle@bpcconsulting.com
Photo of wrdaigle

wrdaigle

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 842 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
I wrote a post recently in this forum on how pivot tables were the best way of importing spreadsheet tables from Excel to MindManager and detailing how to do it:

https://community.mindjet.com/mindjet...

However I've been able to work out so far how to import only basic data and not task information, let alone the things that you're trying to do.

The link to the Youtube video you posted doesn't work, but I think I have seen one or two like it before - the approach appears to be a macro written by a Polish developer specifically for posting Excel data in MM. It's a while ago, but when I attempted to contact the developer I think that I got a response indicating it was a one-off and wasn't documented in English.
Photo of wrdaigle

wrdaigle

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Alex. Sorry that the YouTube video link didn't work. You referenced the correct video. I emailed the polish developer a couple of weeks ago and got no answer. Absent getting my hands on that add-in, there doesn't seem to be a way to import excel data that is a little more complex than a simple tree from excel information -- as you demonstrated in your posting a few months ago. A very useful post I might add...

My application is a little different. I've got an excel file of 22,000 lines of inventory data that is grouped in a number of differing ways. I was hoping to be able to create a series of pivot tables along those various groupings to be able to visually drill down and view the data. With that said, I'd like for mindjet to be able to "roll-up" inventory values within the map categories in a similar way that a pivot table would... only visually.

Am I asking for something that doesn't exist?

Wayne Daigle
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 842 Posts
  • 211 Reply Likes
Thanks for the feedback on my post - and yes, it's quite frustrating that the Polish developer has posted several videos demonstrating that his rechnique works, but for whatever reason has declined to reveal the methodology.

What you propose is an interesting idea but I'm not sure there is any one product that can do it, at least within a visual mapping context (though I'm happy to be proved wrong), but a combination of things might give an approximation.

Given the amount and nature of the data you are dealing with, have you ever considered using Access in combination with MM? You would have to import the spreadsheet from Excel - Access can handle linked Excel spreadsheets, but MM works only with Access tables or csv files.

Unfortunately this also means that you can't use Access queries directly, but you can use Access's make table query facility to get around this. Access queries can do roll-up totals similar to pivot tables but they have the advantage that you can filter them from within MM. You can also decide which columns to show in the map. There is a maximum number of topics you can import - I think it may be 100 - but anything more than that is likely to be a mess visually anyway.

The most interesting thing is that you can also combine links to two tables in an Access database in one MM map, which might be closest to what you want. For example, you could link to the main inventory table in your database (or perhaps given that you have 20,000 items you could use Access's make table feature to create a relevant subset) which you then filter further in MM and paste.

Then you could create a second make-table query that gives you only the subtotal for the the whole inventory table (or the subset you created), filter it in the same way and paste that on another topic.

I know this suggestion is a bit clumsy, for example the process would not be entirely automatic in that each query has to be set up separately and you have to ensure that they are identical, but it may give you some more ideas.
Photo of wrdaigle

wrdaigle

• 12 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Just an update... I finally got a response from the polish developer. My gist of his response was that he developed his Excel import for his own purposes and he is not willing to sell it at this point.

I've tried the autocalc feature in the new version and the guts of the programming is mostly there. All that would be needed is a way to import and group "pivot table" formatted Excel or CSV data.

I held out my hopes that the auto calculation functionality would be a way to visually analyze budget information, but with no way to import from Excel there is no way to truly analyze data of any significant size.

Common Mindjet, a multi-level excel import would be killer functionality.

Wayne Daigle
wdaigle@bpcconsulting.com
Photo of Activity Owner

Activity Owner

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
The Map2Excel add-in now will import from as well as export to excel:

http://www.activityowner.com/2012/11/...

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.