Integrate an external file search facility within MindManager

• Idea
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Under Consideration
While MindManager has a good search facility for its own files and can integrate into maps the contents of folders including non-MindManager files through File Explorer Map Parts, it lacks the ability to search external files. 

I've written up how to do this using File Explorer searches (https://sociamind.com/2020/05/25/search-all-files-in-mindmanager-with-a-little-help-from-windows/) but it would be useful to have this feature integrated seamlessly into MindManager, possibly as an additional File Explorer Search Map Part.
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 137 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Great idea!
I fully support it.

IHMO, the best search engine for Windows is Everything (https://www.voidtools.com/).
The second in the list is Microsoft PowerToys Run (https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-use-windows-10-powertoys-run-to-open-applications-folder...), but it is new still needs a thorough evaluation.

Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
Thanks Andy. There are a few criteria which are useful in evaluating external file managers with a view to integration into MM:

- Can they search a wide variety of file types by content as well as name (including obviously MM files)?
- Can the searches be saved and imported easily into MM?
- Are the searches dynamic, ie, do they either update automatically in real time, or at least when the link is clicked on? 
- Are the links in the list of files meeting the search criteria live and if so are they live at the file level and/or for each occurrence of the search term in the file?
- Can the search results be customised in terms of views, file types, date ranges, etc?
- How easy is it to pull individual files or groups of files from the list into MM?
- And, obviously, how much do they cost?
(Edited)
Photo of Andrey Kazak

Andrey Kazak

• 137 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
Everything

- Can they search a wide variety of file types by content as well as the name (including obviously MM files)?
Yes.

- Can the searches be saved and imported easily into MM?
Yes.

- Are the searches dynamic, ie, do they either update automatically in real-time, or at least when the link is clicked on?
Yes.

- Are the links in the list of files meeting the search criteria live and if so are they live at the file level and/or for each occurrence of the search term in the file?
Needs to be clarified.

- Can the search results be customized in terms of views, file types, date ranges, etc?
Yes.

- How easy is it to pull individual files or groups of files from the list into MM?
Needs to be clarified.

- And, obviously, how much do they cost?
Free. But the software author definitely deserves a reward.

Photo of Jörg

Jörg

• 70 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Today i found time to test your very detailed instructions.
Thanks you for that.
If I understand right by this way it's possible to save the search for words in the name of the file but not for names inside this document.
For me it would be very helpfull to find TAGs from MM in a *.pdf documents. I will create a small example with pictures in the next days so its easier to understand what I mean. 
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 1208 Posts
  • 311 Reply Likes
Hi Jörg,

First check if File Explorer search can find files where the search term is only in the body of the file and not part of the name, and whether this is working for PDF documents. 

To do this, simply create a test file in Word or similar with the search term in the body text but no reference to it in the file name, save it, then convert the file to a PDF. Then search the folder containing the test file and see if FE finds the file (wait a minute or two before you conduct the search).

If the file doesn't show up in the test results you may have to change the search indexing settings. The process to do this isn't difficult but it is a bit involved (I'm assuming you're using a recent version of Windows 10):

- Go to Windows Settings and type Search in the Find a Setting window. 
- Click on Windows Search Settings in the dialogue box
- When the Searching Windows dialogue appears, scroll down and click on Advanced Search Indexer Settings
- A separate Indexing Options dialogue box should appear. Click on the Advanced button
- The Advanced Options dialogue box should appear. Click on the File Types tab
- A long list of file types with ticked boxes next to them should appear. DON'T TOUCH ANY OF THESE. Instead, go to the "How should this file be Indexed?" box underneath and click on the Index Properties and File Contents, then click OK.
- Close all the dialogue boxes.

A warning - it will take Windows a long time, possibly hours, to index all the files, and in the meantime any searches you conduct anywhere won't show any results.