Is it possible to add an entire group of tags to a topic?

• Question
  • Updated 4 days ago
I have a long list of tags that I'd like to be able to add to a topic. One of the options, in my design, is to include ALL tags in the group.

For example, some topics will have one or more tags, but some will include all of the possible tags. So, I'm going to state my question in order from most complex "ask" to least (and please pardon me, because I'm fairly new to Mindjet):

1. Is it possible to programatically mark a topic to always show all tags within a certain group?  I'm showing whether particular attributes are enabled or disabled. One of the attributes is 'enable all attributes.' (The benefit here is that if I end up adding a tag to the group, that tag would automatically be added to the topics that have this "All tags in the group" option.)

2.  In addition (or in place of), is it possible to simply add all tags from a group to a topic instead of right-clicking and adding a tag from the context menu one at a time (I have a long list).

3.  I realize I can create one topic, add all the tags, and then copy them to the topics that should have "all tags," but I was trying to avoid this.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,
Adam
Photo of Adam

Adam

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 days ago

Photo of Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

Ary Velstra, Expert Trainer

• 1381 Posts
  • 208 Reply Likes
You can create mapparts with all tags you need and drag any specific part into your map.
You could create templates with all tags and topics you need.

However the maps you have made with those tips do not automatic refresh if you add a tag to a mappart or a group.

For this behavior I would suggest to additional explore the Smart Rules and conditional formatting functionality in MM 2019
(Edited)
Photo of Alex Gooding

Alex Gooding, Champion

• 897 Posts
  • 224 Reply Likes

Yes, as Ary suggests you could use the SmartRules feature to set up a rule which would then add a selection of tags to topics automatically.

You would simply need to select a tag, icon or some other formatting feature as the trigger and then add each tag to the same rule as an effect. Once this is done all you need to do is add the "master" tag or icon to one or more topics for all the tags to be added to those topics.

However, there are a few limitations with this approach:

1. The rule would take a little bit of time to set up as each tag needs to be added as a separate effect, though if they remain unchanged this needs to be done only once.

2. If you add or edit tags in the tag group these changes will also have to be made to the rule.

3. There is no way to make the tags persist without the rule and the trigger upon which it is based. In other words, the appearance of the group of tags on topics is reliant on the triggering tag, icon etc being added to the relevant topics, and the rule being active. If the tag is removed from the index or the rule is inactive the tag group will disappear from all the topics, and of course the tag group will disappear from individual topics if the trigger is removed from them.